huangdi neijing (yellow emperor's classic of internal med)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

huangdi neijing (yellow emperor's classic of internal med)

Postby everything on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32 pm

have you been reading it? is there an English translation you prefer? what do you think of it? the Q&A format seems odd to me; perhaps I just miss something in the way it's organized. I'd prefer to read something in a sort of "textbook" format that has Q&A at the end.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: huangdi neijing (yellow emperor's classic of internal med)

Postby yeniseri on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 pm

I read it decades ago but there are subtle distinctions that makes it a worthwhile read.
I used parts of it when I took a "Prepared Chinese Medicines" course in the 1980s. The first book was by Ilza Veith

https://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Classic ... 1584&psc=1

A more recent translation was by Maoshing Ni:
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Emperors- ... 0806&psc=1
Last edited by yeniseri on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:26 pm

I have the second one. He seemed to translate for readability, but I still find it way too abstract (coming from a person who likes the abstract and theoretical).

It's sort of like "how do the seasons affect health?" A: "the yin/yang balance changes and the qi is different."
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:28 pm

I have stuck to the 2 versions only because translations, despite being in the English language reflects era and experience of the translator.
I do not know the exact date but the difference between modern Chinese and the Chinese of the Classics has changed to such an extent that even the English translation are "problematic".

Ilza Veith's translation is as good as it gets but the nuances are never ending. Enjoy anyway ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:33 am

???

Never mind
Last edited by Bob on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:41 am

???

Never mind
Last edited by Bob on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:01 am

aside from "qi" and yin/yang and philosophy getting into metaphysics, which is interesting for other reasons...

the herbal medicine part is interesting almost as an entirely separate area. studies can quantify benefits of something vague like "green tea", but when they try to isolate the compounds, it doesn't work for various reasons such as in the below quote. but over time, they can possibly learn more (but possibly not). something about nature (herbs) and a non-statistical but systematically acquired body of knowledge is beneficial yet eludes our modern, stats-oriented knowledge approach. we are also "nature" and more than the sum of the single effect from one "catechin", so perhaps this should be obvious (yet people seem to not understand). the more it's difficult to statistically study, the more some arts people who are math-challenged will change the topic to the philosophical, so perhaps it always has to come full circle.

The major flavonoids of green tea are various catechins, which are found in greater amounts in green tea than in black or Oolong tea [23]. There are four kinds of catechins mainly find in green tea: epicatechin, epigallocatechin, epicatechin-3-gallate, and EGCG [24]. The preparation methods influence the catechins both quantitatively and qualitatively; the amount of catechins also varies in the original tea leaves due to differences in variety, origin, and growing conditions [25]. The preparation of fresh green tea cannot totally extract catechins from the leaves; therefore, the concentration found differs from the absolute values determined through the complete extraction of leaves [26]. Moreover, catechins are relatively unstable and could be quantitatively and qualitatively modified during the time frame of an experiment [27,28]. Thus, comparison of ingested doses in animal studies is not possible because the catechin quantification before administration is often not known.

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 0catechins.)
Last edited by everything on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic