The Peripheral - Jonathan Nolan etc.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Peripheral - Jonathan Nolan etc.

Postby everything on Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:57 pm

If you enjoyed Westworld, well, unfortunately the next season got canceled, but Nolan moved on to make The Peripheral, sort of Avatar but the avatar you control is in the future. Good ep 1 and part of 2 so far...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: The Peripheral - Jonathan Nolan etc.

Postby vadaga on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:07 am

Based off of the William Gibson series I'd imagine?
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm

yes i tried to read the book, but got bored. after i posted the above, i got bored of the show ... found better ones, I suppose. maybe will go back to try again.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:14 pm

I've read both The Peripheral and Agency. For me they are a bit formulaic and groany but still have some interesting ideas and are easy reads. The second book was about a non-robotic AI gaining sentience hence the title. Barely sci fi at this point the way ChatGPT is going although also the concept was not particularly novel by the time the book having come out having hit mainstream pop culture years back with the film 'Her' as well as of course things like the old Isaac Asimov books on thinking robots, GiTS, etc. etc.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:27 pm

definitely not novel now, but i still love those kinds of plots. maybe will try reading both of those, thanks for the mini-review.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic