"long range strength", eccentric, tendons, ligaments

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

"long range strength", eccentric, tendons, ligaments

Postby everything on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:07 pm

TL;DW: Basically he talks a lot about strength at the end ranges of ROM, and making the ROM greater, also leading to (supposedly) better tendon/ligament strength.

I don't think a baseball pitcher would not know these things, but to an extent, the information is "new" compared to how most in the "strength world" would train ("short range movements" using limited ROM bench press, squat, deadlift, body building movements, etc.). This probably also isn't new for many in TMA, calisthenics, various other "less mainstream" (maybe mainstream for these folks is American football, not sure) athletic pursuits.

Neverthless, found it interesting and thought it might be interesting for some here, especially if you're into eccentric and tendon and fascia. I like what he says about "making shit athletes great". I'm rehabbing my knee using these ideas, basically get a lot of strength and mobility in all the leg muscles and joints. Then supposedly strengthen the tendons and ligaments in the end ranges of the ROM (probably via isometrics and eccentric portion of resistance at those end ranges). And also, lengthen the fascia (short range in the long run would presumably shorten). We'll see how it goes, practically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYwBNET_fng

Last edited by everything on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: "long range strength", eccentric, tendons, ligaments

Postby yeniseri on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:18 pm

Your build along with your ability, inclination and conditioning goes a long way in "pre-determining) the activity you may wish to particiapte.
Having a bodybuiler physique is detrimental in beconing a champion swimmer. That being said, Muscle fibre type(s) is a pretty strong indication of a sport you will end up with along with the conditioning you will need to do to enhance
your loved sport.

Slow twitch vs fast twitch muscle fibre types:
https://blog.nasm.org/fitness/fast-twit ... low-twitch
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:25 am

everything wrote:TL;DW: Basically he talks a lot about strength at the end ranges of ROM, and making the ROM greater, also leading to (supposedly) better tendon/ligament strength.

I don't think a baseball pitcher would not know these things, but to an extent, the information is "new" compared to how most in the "strength world" would train ("short range movements" using limited ROM bench press, squat, deadlift, body building movements, etc.). This probably also isn't new for many in TMA, calisthenics, various other "less mainstream" (maybe mainstream for these folks is American football, not sure) athletic pursuits.

Neverthless, found it interesting and thought it might be interesting for some here, especially if you're into eccentric and tendon and fascia. I like what he says about "making shit athletes great". I'm rehabbing my knee using these ideas, basically get a lot of strength and mobility in all the leg muscles and joints. Then supposedly strengthen the tendons and ligaments in the end ranges of the ROM (probably via isometrics and eccentric portion of resistance at those end ranges). And also, lengthen the fascia (short range in the long run would presumably shorten). We'll see how it goes, practically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYwBNET_fng

It sounds similar to the Tom Brady "TB10" method or whatever it's called. Eccentric contractions focusing on looseness and flexibility. He's had the longest career with the least injuries of any professional quarterback. Genetics may be part of it, but training is what makes the difference.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:59 am

Think so. They study longevity outliers like Brady to find out why they can do what they do. It seems to be in part the better ROM and strength at end ranges for a longer period of time.

Sounds like common sense in MA, but it’s nice they are studying it more. We might say it’s "just" whole body power, but there are some details that are now more clear to me. Like “ankle dorsiflexion”. You can make tiny, measurable improvements around each joint and weak spot rather than add “strength” in a short range. I want to just swing a KB, do some qigong, and call it a day. And that's fantastic, but not enough for addressing certain issues or getting that elite longevity.

Address weak links and add some buffer. The main guy can go into a good “Asian squat” and then right into a dunk of a basketball as a demo of making sure the entire chain is strong and highly mobile. Personally imo this is not the entire story of “Jin”, but for many, I think they would say it is, and if so, they should be all over this. The guy who always says "eccentric" needs to just learn all this as it's already spelled out. Either way, it’s great stuff to do. In TMA, if one can do the form that show off high ROM, all probably seems good. But what if you can't or need to rehab or prehab? There are probably now better exercises to meet all the pre-reqs. For people like Brady or baseball pitchers who need to throw objects, there are other prevention and rehab exercises to do (a lot of it seems to be strength in the other direction).
Last edited by everything on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 am

As far as rehab and prehab, when I lost my ACL I had no insurance. I got a bag full of pain pills from my uncle and had a couch to lay on.

I did constant stretches until I was able to put weight on it, maybe a week or so, then I was able to just do the back and forth of grasp sparrow's tail slowly and with great determination. I'm convinced this helped me walk again sooner. Taijiquan was and still is my only exercise. It took 9 years and a couple hard falls before I felt like I needed to have it fixed. Should have done it sooner. Point being I adapted around the injury.

Likewise, once I hyper-extended my elbow and it was worthless for a couple weeks, but my form REALLY improved as any deviance from the correct movement hurt like hell.

So now I call this "the gift of injury" getting hurt helps you get better. And research actually bears out the phenomenon
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:55 am

for your ACL, when you say "lost", it was totally torn, and you never had surgery? or you rehabbed with taijiquan and later had surgery?

I think my MCL has been repeatedly sprained, each time not really that bad, til the "string" got pretty "frayed", and now it's ugh (but not blown out). luckily, my surgeon said to do rehab exercises, not surgery, so trying to work on these. taijiquan as the only exercise would be great, but is "too advanced" for me for now. for example, if i could do "snake creeps down" with good form in either direction, that'd be a good test/milestone to work toward.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 am

It was completely severed in a BJJ match by a "sweep" which is their term for a sort of prying legwork that my opponent performed directly against the side of my knee.

That was in 2009, I had a dead man's hamstring soaked in stem cells bolted to my bones in 2019.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:03 pm

yikes. pretty impressive you healed first. then pretty impressive the tech must've improved to give you a different surgery option 10 years later. how did your leg seem to like the dead man's hamstring/stem cells? is it near 100% now?

i kinda hate bjj, though it's impressive from afar, and doesn't seem more dangerous than any other sport aside from weird incidents like that. just not my main cup of tea.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic