Musk unveiled prototype for Optimus, humanoid robot

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Musk unveiled prototype for Optimus, humanoid robot

Postby everything on Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 am

https://www.ai.nl/artificial-intelligen ... c6de4c2b48

Meet Optimus: Tesla CEO Elon Musk reveals prototype humanoid robot sharing its brain with Autopilot software
Elon Musk, the eccentric CEO of Tesla, finally revealed a prototype of his company’s humanoid robot called Optimus. Last year, Musk gave the first glimpse of his vision for a humanoid robot and said the robot would be called Optimus.

At the start of Tesla’s 2022 AI Day, Musk confirmed that the presentation last year did not include a real robot but instead relied on a person wearing a spandex suit. This year, the world’s richest man not only showed a real working humanoid robot but also explained that the robot shares some of its AI software and sensors with those powering the Autopilot feature on Tesla’s road cars.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Musk unveiled prototype for Optimus, humanoid robot

Postby Steve James on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm

I wonder how much a humanoid robot with autopilot would cost, not counting maintenance. I'm betting they won't be replacing manual laborers.

The robot is super cool though. The Boston Dynamics stuff is impressive, if a little creepy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:31 pm

I think he announced that it will start at $20k

But idk what your home robot will do.

Vacuum? Search for Sarah Connor?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:30 am

Perhaps I am watching too many movies from Hollywood but it was bad enough the BSOD was menacing and inconvenient at times though
it is less invasive now but then you have hackers and their aggravation schemes (pay me or I will destry your data, OS, etc but then Tesla is
on the market and it is being transparent, at least some of the engineers and the 'dog and pony show for the consumer to trigger buying then
the self driving thing has caused a few accidents, killed at least 4 people to date because of Tesla "imperfections.
The robot era will bring in its own reality but how will we react and control solutions? WHo will control the OS of the robot? WHo will have access to files
and how will hacking turnover, if at all, the direction on sabotage and the extenbt of that sabotage.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:06 am

"I, Robot" :)

I still prefer driving a standard transmission. I like to pay attention to the driving, even though in the city it's a pita and on the highway cruise control would be nice. Otoh, I may end up buying an e-car. However, I doubt it'll be a Tesla, and I can't imagine ever allowing full control to the vehicle or software.

Afa robots, I can see them replacing workers at shipping centers and factories with enormous inventories. Tesla is creating giga factories to produce e-batteries. Tesla may not be firing people, but more such factories suggests they'll be hiring fewer. The irony is that fewer workers may mean fewer people able to afford a Tesla car, let alone a robot. It seems to me that any humanoid robot will require more maintenance than a car. My phone's battery can last a day and a half, if I just use it for calls, checking mail and the internet. Robbie would be probably be plugged in quite a bit. Hopefully, it'd be charged up if it needed to use its defibrillator function.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Steve James wrote:
I still prefer driving a standard transmission.

same here, but there aren't many of us left, and it seems limited to a few generations. drove a Tesla around some, and it (like other electric vehicles) has that nice instant torque, is really nice in various ways, but it feels
1) super heavy, the opposite of what you want ("add lightness" makes everything better) for a "go kart" or track-ish type of experience
2) like I'm driving a big battery/gadget with wheels.
3) plus, "slow car fast" and rewarding the driver inputs for those good efforts just isn't there. just mash pedal to go or un-mash to stop.

i guess i'll probably get an EV in the next few years, but keep some kind of ICE / MT fun car.
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:03 pm

No realtionship but Tesla has a record that has the potential to translate to 'disaster" especially when engineers are coming forth with documented datasheets.

Tesla battery caught fire and needed 6000 gal ;D to extinguish
https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-crews- ... 15899.html
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 am

life starting to imitate art?
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:34 am

everything wrote:But idk what your home robot will do.

Given the state of Tesla and the track record of self-driving cars, it will probably kick your dog, piss oil into your breakfast cereal, then fall over and catch fire, all while shouting hate slogans at your children.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:12 pm

Bhassler wrote:
everything wrote:But idk what your home robot will do.

Given the state of Tesla and the track record of self-driving cars, it will probably kick your dog, piss oil into your breakfast cereal, then fall over and catch fire, all while shouting hate slogans at your children.

;D

i was thinking "I already have a roomba", but it might be funny to see the humanoid robot use my old fashioned vacuum cleaner instead. or maybe go clean out the dust tray of the roomba once the roomba is done. but if it's just gonna catch on fire and take 60,000 gallons of water to put out ...
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:22 pm

Roombas on steroids are possible :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm

really amazing. would need baguazhang footwork if you found yourself in such a warehouse avoiding robots.

then the self driving planes, cars, drones, last-mile robots will deliver your silly hoo-man items to you, silly hoo-mans. do you really need that pair of pants or socks or that gadget that lets you talk to your AI assistant or that will vacuum your floor?
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic