Kurzweil predicts immortality (2030) and singularity (2045)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Kurzweil predicts immortality (2030) and singularity (2045)

Postby everything on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:51 am

“What’s actually happening is [machines] are powering all of us,” Kurzweil said during the SXSW interview. "They’re making us smarter. They may not yet be inside our bodies, but, by the 2030s, we will connect our neocortex, the part of our brain where we do our thinking, to the cloud.”

This idea is similar to Musk's controversial neural lace and to XPRIZE Foundation chairman Peter Diamandis' "meta-intelligence" concept. Kurzweil expounded on how this technology could improve human lives.

“We’re going to get more neocortex, we’re going to be funnier, we’re going to be better at music. We’re going to be sexier,” Kurzweil said during the SXSW interview. "We’re really going to exemplify all the things that we value in humans to a greater degree.”

https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-th ... en-by-2045
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:11 am

I heard the news from medical/genetic shelf, yesterday - donor bone marrow bank has been establish.
They collecting genomes data looking for the "genetic twins" for >no problemo< transplantation.
So far, they get over thousand already.
Ha,
now coming out, that we are not the brain only,
but
not genome either... -bolt-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:46 am

origami_itto wrote:Altered Carbon explored this. You could pull your YOU out of the body and put a new one in it. They put criminals in stasis and let rich people use their bodies, among other things.

Another interesting one was living with yourself with Paul Rudd. A company was producing optimized clones of you and disposing of the original. One survived.

I've been meaning to read Altered Carbon... it's on the list somewhere.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:55 am

everything wrote:
wiesiek wrote:
All of what happens in our lifetime is collected in the >cloud<.
Like in the net - access is the only problem ...

This bioethics professor is already worred about neural tracking/hacking technology.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... technology

Certainly the field is advancing rapidly. The recent launch of ChatGPT and other AI tech innovations showed that some aspects of simulation of thought, termed machine learning, are already here. It’s been widely noted also that Elon Musk’s Neuralink and Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta are working on brain interfaces that can read thoughts directly. A new field of cognitive-enhancing drugs – called Nootropics – are being developed. Technology that allows people experiencing paralysis to control an artificial limb or write text on a screen just by thinking it are in the works.

Couple of thoughts here:

I remember there was a good episode of Black Mirror which had neural link tech in the hands of a large corporation... so close that it was 'nearly true'. I wouldnt want any business scrupulous or othewise, facebook being definitely in the otherwise category, or self-aware AI (motives unknown) able to monkey around with my synapses with impunity. I just remember 'The Entertainment' in Infinite Jest... something like an opoid which was delivered by digital medium instead of chemical...

Second thought the original Ghost in the Shell anime(still need to read the manga) had something where one of the detectives (Togusa) was minimally augmented so that his brain couldnt be hacked, unlike his partner who was heavily cyborg-ed and at one point gets taken out by a cyber attack... so perhaps there is use in not being all wired up to cyberspace all the time.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:20 am

tried to read Altered Carbon a little .... then kinda gave up and watched the show and didn't get back to the book.

yes, no poking around my brain and telling me to buy more stuff (or "obey").
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic