Chinese Tense and the three body problem

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Chinese Tense and the three body problem

Postby everything on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:41 am

Lol how is this show if it’s hard to follow?

Just started watching Succession
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:59 am

everything wrote:Lol how is this show if it’s hard to follow?

Just started watching Succession

I think it's good... maybe? The acting seems okay but it's hard to tell with a foreign language.

The budget is pretty good and I'm loving the subtle cultural differences in attitudes and approaches.

Though at one point in the first or second episode one of the characters is talking on a bluetooth headset and it's flashing blue and red indicating it's still in pairing mode.

I'm enjoying it, I watch an episode in the tub when I wake up too early. Almost done. Then back to the Gundam series.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:40 am

origami_itto wrote:"If anything happens, took care of my children. "

Also confirmed they did nor have the satellite.

The first one looks like a common mistake among speakers of English as a second language. We tend to prefer verb tenses to agree, but this doesn't work for languages where verbs don't have tenses. If a computer tries to translate from the latter to the former, it can't tell which tense should be used; so it uses both. If it was a human translator, otoh, it looks like some student papers. The second example looks like a typo which a computer wouldn't make.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:29 am

Steve James wrote:
origami_itto wrote:"If anything happens, took care of my children. "

Also confirmed they did nor have the satellite.

The first one looks like a common mistake among speakers of English as a second language. We tend to prefer verb tenses to agree, but this doesn't work for languages where verbs don't have tenses. If a computer tries to translate from the latter to the former, it can't tell which tense should be used; so it uses both. If it was a human translator, otoh, it looks like some student papers. The second example looks like a typo which a computer wouldn't make.

The second sentence there WAS a typo, by me. :D I see my wording was confusing. This is what I meant and I've changed it.

Also confirmed they did not have the satellite when the Caucasian actor speaking English (but who may have been some flavor of Eastern European or another) said "We captured the satellite as soon as possible and began our investigations." Like the next scene was the satellite zooming around and somebody saying "we're closing in on it"
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:50 am

Bhassler wrote:A writer friend of mine was hired to work on the Japanese version of American Ninja Warrior (no idea which came first, or what it was called in Japanese).

The Japanese version came first, it is called 'Sasuke'
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:33 am

vadaga wrote:
Bhassler wrote:A writer friend of mine was hired to work on the Japanese version of American Ninja Warrior (no idea which came first, or what it was called in Japanese).

The Japanese version came first, it is called 'Sasuke'

Watched Sasuke with my grandson in the early 2000s on G4. I remember the fisherman, the fireman, and the octopus guy from the first seasons. Afa the translations, :), they didn't matter. There was no way to know what was actually being said in Japanese.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:42 pm

seen the movie?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 am

edit: netflix series with sneak peak out at alamo, apparently
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 am

everything wrote:edit: netflix series with sneak peak out at alamo, apparently

I'm interested in seeing it.
The chinese version was like 30 episodes and still had more story, Netflix has 8 soooooooooooooooo...
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:30 am

oof. maybe i'll start with netflix one in that case
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 pm

I don’t really know anything about 3 body problem but the science fiction groups I’m in all seem to think that it’s toxic. It makes the case for fascism being the best type of government, or something like that. Basically, Chinese gov propaganda.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 pm

Well it's best to let the group figure that out for us. Spare us the trouble of doing all that pesky thinking on our own.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 pm

ugh if that's the case, but i'm hear for escapism-no brain tv-as-drugs. no brain space for thinking
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 pm

Well what I got from the story was that the bad things happened because of how the Army did business. I'm sure I missed the fascism.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:01 am

There is no real free press in China, so maybe the author just did what they had to do to get published. Also read this:

"The Chinese tvshow started interesting, but had way too much focus on mundane personal melodrama later on. I expect the Netflix show will shove a lot of that in as well, since that's what mainstream viewers need to stay interested.
As for the state propaganda in the novels, this had less propaganda than the average US novel does. (the overwhelming amount of "roorah USA big damn heroes" propaganda in most US novels might not be obvious to americans, but the rest of us can clearly see it.) Just because it's China instead of the US doing the fighting for humanity for once doesn't mean it's immediately propaganda. And the message is quite anti-authoritarian and fairly critical, insomuch as the author could get away with without getting arrested. I'm honestly surprised it even got published, given how subtly critical it actually is. "

Her point about US Propaganda is well made.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic