Animal Flow?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Animal Flow?

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:23 pm

Has anyone here heard of Animal Flow?

It seems to have some interesting mobility benefits.

Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Animal Flow?

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:13 pm

Asi me gusta! Total movement so the art of capoeira has been on the mark and has been for 300 years in all its transformations and permutations.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:30 pm

yeniseri wrote:Asi me gusta! Total movement so the art of capoeira has been on the mark and has been for 300 years in all its transformations and permutations.

OK. Fair enough, but one need not practice Capoeira to acquire "total movement" capability resulting from systems born of hundreds of years in exploring the many "transformations and permutations" of effective live combat.

Clearly, the ways in which total movement can be stylistically expressed physically are varied and many. However, even when the stylistic appearance of a style's movement is unique, it is highly likely that similar factors are contributing to the total body usage nonetheless, just as they do in other styles.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:54 pm

Heaps of people out there doing these animal flows
And doing them well
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:42 am

Yea sure, I have some of their paid material - targeted to martial arts training.
Though I personally started and have mostly stayed with GMB programs. (the specific program is Elements for Locomotion)
they are fairly similar.

What we are essentially talking about is Locomotion training/ exercise.
Without getting long winded about it all, it's become my first choice supplementary training as it's such a seamless and ideal fit.
super convenient to train and covers all three of strength, mobility and motor control

You should give it a try!
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:50 am

I took this from a face book post by Wong Yuen Ming
https://www.facebook.com/wong.yuenming.1

image:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 01&__cft__

“Bear Walking” is popular these days but probably not many realize it was popular in old China as well, so I have taken the liberty to translate a short intro to the practice from a Ming era manual (circa 1500). Enjoy!
‘Tiger emerging from the cave’
First, assume the posture of a quadrupedal animal.
Extend the front and bend the back to move with strength.
Then, bend the front and extend the back, following the previous method.
Do this gongfu thirty-eight times, pausing at each one.
Zhi Gang said:
Use your hands as feet, hence the saying, "Assume the posture of a quadrupedal animal, extending the front and bending the back", means to position your body firmly and place your hands on the ground. "Extend the back and bend the front" means extend your legs and move forward. Doing so back and forth, your body will look like a tiger emerging from the cave, your muscles and bones will be relaxed, your organs will be at ease, and your blood flow will be smooth.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:31 am

Doc Stier wrote:OK. Fair enough, but one need not practice Capoeira to acquire "total movement" capability resulting from systems born of hundreds of years in exploring the many "transformations and permutations" of effective live combat.

Clearly, the ways in which total movement can be stylistically expressed physically are varied and many. However, even when the stylistic appearance of a style's movement is unique, it is highly likely that similar factors are contributing to the total body usage nonetheless, just as they do in other styles.

The purpose of capoeira was never to capture this modern concept of "Total movement" but a 'natural art' from indigenous people expressing modes of survival and resistance in support of heritage and culture.
Capoeira and similar 'arts' preceded these modern terms and definitions on movement and we realize a benefit when we see how the brillance of native peoples can offer solutions that are often integrated and made 'modern' through
copyright, trademarks, etc and the western concept of 'ownership.

Many people not knowing history will never have heard of capoeira but "Animal Flow" in its modernity can allow people to discover unique ways of movement that they can incorporate into their daily lives, and how they see benefit for assisting in mitigating chronic disease and illness.
Last edited by yeniseri on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:08 am

Youtube's algo fed me some animal flow vids a few weeks back... it seemed like it drew a lot on capoeira, minus the spinning and kicking, looked like fun though
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:23 pm

@ around 1.50 minutes there are 3 'tiger' floor locomotion exercises from a kung fu training regimen (Xingyi/Bagua) from Mike Patterson.
was nice to watch this again.

Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:08 pm

it's funny how imitating animal movements comes in and out of vogue. a few years back, people probably made fun of all the "animal kungfu" styles. always lots of interesting things. "multi planar movements"

still working on kneesovertoesguy basics. got a long way to go before i can even "achieve" yoga downward dog (text book looking) or "Asian squat". the animal stuff looks like a progression (at least for me) from those, assuming one does those "correctly" as a pre-req.
Last edited by everything on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:46 pm

everything wrote:still working on kneesovertoesguy basics. got a long way to go before i can even "achieve" yoga downward dog (text book looking) or "Asian squat". the animal stuff looks like a progression (at least for me) from those, assuming one does those "correctly" as a pre-req.

How long have you been working on that and do you have a disability?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:06 pm

origami_itto wrote:
everything wrote:still working on kneesovertoesguy basics. got a long way to go before i can even "achieve" yoga downward dog (text book looking) or "Asian squat". the animal stuff looks like a progression (at least for me) from those, assuming one does those "correctly" as a pre-req.

How long have you been working on that and do you have a disability?

been doing kneesovertoesguy "zero" (zero added weights, zero pain) for about 8 months after a futbol injury (plus long term wear/tear from rec sports w/o proper training and prehab).

i would say i have two primary disabilities.
1. some knee osteoarthritis that seems to be healing up well.
2. super super super "natural" lack of flexibility.

I can touch my toes, but to do "down dog" so it looks like an upside down V with a neutral spine seems a bit unattainable for me ... we'll see. it's not a particular goal, but still, i'd like to see some visual progression/evidence i'm improving. same with upper body mobility. can no longer reach one hand above, one hand behind and grasp fingers (as an example). "use it or lose it" is certainly a problem.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic