cosmological constant problem / Wuji

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

cosmological constant problem / Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:55 am

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... g-problem/

TL;DR, IINM:

Einstein had a placeholder, lambda, as a "cosmological constant" assuming the Universe is static. But there is some kind of energy causing the Universe to expand when one might think gravity should hold it all together. Basically there is a discrepancy between what theoretical physicists predict should be in "anti gravity" energy and what seems to be happening (universe is expanding, and this expansion is actually accelerating in rate).

So there is some kind of energy there in the "nothingness". There is always some amount of "energy".

It makes me think of "Wuji". There is nothingness, and it is expanding toward infinity. Limitless. Also Qi, in the sense of there is always some "energy" in the Universe, even if there seems to be "nothingness". Eventually, some theories say the cycle repeats (collapse -> Big Bang -> expand again). In which case the Universe is not 13.8 billion years old. Wuji begets Taiji. Eventually, it just repeats. A circle is a good diagram.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: cosmological constant problem / Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:19 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:52 am

lol at the prank. don't quite understand the actual conclusion.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:40 am

Well, yeah, the connection to you point about wuji is that taiji arises from it. Quantum mechanics suggests that there is no nothing. Or, at least "empty' space isn't empty.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:28 pm

i suppose there is a speck of yang in all the cosmic yin. more taiji than wuji.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:06 pm

:) Yeah, but I don't think we can mix Cartesian thinking (yin/yang = negative/positive) with taiji. Taiji is one thing; yin and yang are inseparable. That's a theoretical problem in astrophysics: i.e., at the beginning, there should have been equal parts matter and anti-matter. They should have eliminated themselves, but matter seems to have 'won.' Nobody knows why.

This might interest you, on that note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dFLYPCKnY
Last edited by Steve James on Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:04 pm

so the taiji concept is wrong, or somewhere we don't know, the anti-matter balances out the matter (and maybe that's the anti-gravity energy).

kind of wish the video didn't cut off his answer on the science agenda of space vs. education. OTOH of course, it's an incredibly naive question that assumes "scientists" or "science" sets the research agenda. so in that sense it doesn't matter what degrasse tyson says except that he can influence the public. even then, what military-industrial complex would fund underwater (bizarre species with probably no military usage) vs. space (lots of military usage). to read about Oppenheimer getting cut out of the policy arena by a scheming shoe salesman is pretty interesting and eye opening.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:31 am

Imo, they're different models. But, I think the yin/yang idea is more valid in terms of our perceived reality. Without an instrument, we can't say anything is purely positive (or almost any other quality). It's abstract, and only has relevance in relation to something else. We can force the world into a Cartesian model. Then we arrive at the conclusion that "two things can't exist in the same space at the same time." Yet, who's going to deny that mind and body inhabit the same space.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:26 am

"We are mostly empty space" is always a weird thought to me.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:38 am

everything wrote:"We are mostly empty space" is always a weird thought to me.

Ah, but the same thing is true of the universe.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:16 am

Either RSF or YouTube has changed their video-sharing protocols so this is the best I can do presently with my limited computer gongfu. The Universe is Expanding scene from Annie Hall.

https://youtu.be/0OZhn6EBLXQ?si=t_sSnTyarCAWnD-t
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:00 am

such a brilliant scene

"what's the point?" ... sounds like my kids making an excuse about homework
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:36 pm

So there is some kind of energy there in the "nothingness". There is always some amount of "energy".

There is always "something" and never "Nothing". I like "Quantum foam" theory, it explains what is always there.

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/nothi ... ntum-foam/

Some Chinese philosophers thought there is always Qi and that Qi is the original state of the universe.

Zhou Yi starts his text "Taijitu shuo" with: "Wuji er Taiji" Or "Wuji thus Taiji". The thing is that Wuji in itself is an extreme state, so if there is nothing, it will automatically produce Taiji. If there is nothing, there will automatically be something.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:16 am

Taste of Death wrote:Either RSF or YouTube has changed their video-sharing protocols so this is the best I can do presently with my limited computer gongfu. The Universe is Expanding scene from Annie Hall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OZhn6EBLXQ
Trip
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:05 am

Nothing is something. We can't perceive it; we can only imagine the absence of everything -that we can perceive. If we can imagine it, it's not nothing.

Afa "why bother?" Ya don't have to, but doing it because the universe is expanding is childish. Just remember that you might not live out this day, and one day you surely won't.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic