AI is starting to eat its own tail

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: AI is starting to eat its own tail

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:08 am

Well, the problem is language and audience. If an AI finds 2+2=5 somewhere on the internet, and returns it to you, what will you do? Were you (the audience) waiting for the calculation? But, an AI is essentially a back-end. People decide what an output should look like (i.e., read). If the AI returned 5 as the sum of 2+2, someone would say "That f-ed up, fix it" before that program was released.

Calculations are fairly easy to fix, though AI may still make order of operations errors -just as humans. The difference is that AI will note the differences and offer two or more "drafts" /versions of the answer.

The bigger problem is when people expect AI to output "truth." For one thing, because people who create AIs are just as subject to confirmation bias as anyone else. Iow, they may disapprove of what their AI outputs for many reasons.

My eldest daughter works on a Bard team. One problem she notes is that some responses have to be translated from one cultural idiom to another. For ex., she had to ask a Japanese team leader to explain why "warm belly" had a specific relation to Japanese seasons. I don't recall it exactly. But, just imagine that much of the data on the internet is slang or idiomatic. So, the AI has to have different ways to say the same thing to different people. As in, you ask a question, then ask the AI to explain the answer another way.

Of course, that also means the AI can "understand" things differently as well. That might make it more prone to hallucinations, too. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:03 am

some of the slangs and idioms are explained in writing on the internet (albeit sometimes with conflicting explanations). even if the AIs do not understand the words, they can probably learn all the AKAs (assuming very large data).

which also makes me think of vague, obtuse song lyrics and how difficult those must be to "understand". but if they are open to interpretation and humans have a hard time with them, it seems AIs could do a better job (with the very large data helping including all the other pre-existing explanations it "read").
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:05 am

it also makes me wonder how much garbage/noise (let's say in % terms) there has to be so that the AIs output mostly garbage.

for example (to make up an oversimplified case), if the internet is 30% absolute garbage/noise, do the AIs output 30% garbage? it doesn't seem to be the case.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:14 am

everything wrote:it also makes me wonder how much garbage/noise (let's say in % terms) there has to be so that the AIs output mostly garbage.

for example (to make up an oversimplified case), if the internet is 30% absolute garbage/noise, do the AIs output 30% garbage? it doesn't seem to be the case.

I guess it has to collapse the input into some sort of unique set and then do comparisons to filter out the obvious junk.

We're still in the infancy and it's already smarter than most people.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:44 pm

I'd say that it's faster, not smarter, when it comes to calculations. What an AI may be able to do is gather more information about something and give us information (or solutions) to things humans can't figure out or can't predict/imagine. That's also the scary part. I.e., we humans can think up some terrible questions. Otoh, we could ask how to make a molecule that would make all plastic biodegradable.

Our smart phones are already smarter than we are, and few of us could build one. Ooh, what if everyone has a ChatGPT app on their phones. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:32 pm

so we have "Jarvis" in our headset all the time. but asking good questions ourselves seems needed or else what is the point ... and not just being asked "do you want to re-order/add that item to your cart?"
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:37 pm

Steve James wrote:I'd say that it's faster, not smarter, when it comes to calculations. What an AI may be able to do is gather more information about something and give us information (or solutions) to things humans can't figure out or can't predict/imagine. That's also the scary part. I.e., we humans can think up some terrible questions. Otoh, we could ask how to make a molecule that would make all plastic biodegradable.

Our smart phones are already smarter than we are, and few of us could build one. Ooh, what if everyone has a ChatGPT app on their phones. :)

They did a south park about that, all the boys were using ChatGPT to talk to their girlfriends.

Imagine your AI personal assistant, it could run every part of your day for you, tell you what to eat and when. How to work out, what you should read, which entertainment is most likely to keep you distracted and occupied.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:32 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cbzqICmR5Vc?feature=share[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cbzqICmR ... ture=share
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:27 am

Crazy stuff. Hope it helps.

On the thread topic, this AI seems to consume only clean, “curated” data.
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 pm

AI is eating its own tail.

maybe not :)

Alexandr Wang: 26-Year-Old Billionaire Powering the AI Industry
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:59 am

OK (then), Google...

Last edited by Dmitri on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDMemWgEJak

excellent interview so far. haven't gotten too far yet. some early points can seem obvious once he makes it clear, but probably most people wouldn't realize.

"data is new oil". no. it's not all the same, sitting in wells, waiting to be found. a lot more difficult than that.

"data is new code". same algorithms can be used for things like facial recognition or detecting empty fridge. data is what changes the performance.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 am

I just learned that Bard uses "I" in its responses. But, Gemini is different. It's more of an assistant. You control where it looks.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:28 am

oh cool what is Gemini? will it replace Bard altogether?

This interview is excellent albeit extremely high level (business execs except for my idiot ones should be able to follow). Still, would be interested to know what your daughter thinks of it.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:54 pm

No. Bard will continue as an llm. Gemini is completely separate.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic