Taijiquan 99

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Taijiquan 99

Postby Trick on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:32 pm

so i'm a ”former” karateka but still an enthusiast, the other day i looked up about the taikyoku katas(forms)partly because i forgotten the order of them and partly because the name taikyoku means - Taiji.
while googling i came upon this site http://www.taikyokuken.co.jp/english/taichi.html
which explain the origin of their Taijiquan/Taikyokuken 99 postures/steps form.(further down the linked page).....I've never heard this story before or of any such mixed 99 form, are there any other source of info on it ?
Trick
Huajing

Re: Taijiquan 99

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:24 am

I like the 99 but it dosent differ greatly from the yang form
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:37 pm

my mistake i posted my OP here in the ”off topic”, should have been in the TJQ section, sorry.

Anyway, about the TJQ-99 form, as it's said in the link i posted it was a creation by the combined efforts of the big ones as - Yang Chengfu, Chen Fake, Wu Chienchuan, Sun Lutang, Hao Wei-chen, and Wang Shuchin who contributed with Xingyiquan and Baguazhang expertice - a Chen Panling is mentioned to have adapted the form.
But as i look around the net, some claim Chen Panling as the.creator of the 99 form, and even further there is a claim that the 99 form is the original Yang Luchan form.....
As i search on the Chinese ”tubes” for videos, a couple of 99 forms comes up, all are quite Yang taiji oriented, infact, with the experienced eye 8-) the 99 forms differ nothing from Yang Chenfu's teaching....
Any further thoughts ?
Last edited by Trick on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:14 pm

When I was first shown the form I was told it was called new Chen form
Hung I Hsiang son does the nicest version I have seen
Chen pan lings son also has YouTube clip of the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:17 am

for sure a far fetched speculation, but perhaps it was called ”new Chen” form was because they were of the opinion that it was created by Chen Panling ?
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:24 am

I was told it was because after learning the other styles he went to the Chen village to train
I think that was 1934
Now that I think again it might have been called Modified Chen
I was told this in the early 80’s
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:47 am

D.Glenn posted -
Finally, Wang remarks, without further explanation: "I had originally studied a Si-lian quan 'Four Connections boxing' form, whose hands and movements identical to Chen taiji." After coming to Taiwan, in 1951 Wang chanced to meet Chen Junfeng [i.e. Chen Panling] in Taizhong (where the provincial government was first based). Comparing notes, they experimented to create a 'Chen style' of taiji quan.

[n.b. Wang Shujin acknowledged to me that Chen Panling had taught him taiji quan and the 24 walking-stick; but claimed in return he had taught Xingyi (Hsing I) and Ba gua to Chen Panling. Wang appears to equate 'Chen style' from the 'Chen Village', (Henan) Chen Jiagou, with Chen Panling's own composite brand of taiji quan. Authentic Chen style taiji quan was virtually unknown in Taiwan then, and it is unlikely that Wang knew much about it. Robert Smith (Martial Musings 1999 p255) relates how even Rose Lee, who grew up under a famous master in Peking, told how she, while fleeing from Japanese c.1940, had observed Henan villagers practicing taiji quan, but seemed unaware of Chenjiagou's very existence. Indeed, Chenjiagou was not opened up to the world before the late 1980s. In 1983, when a Shaolin Temple visit still required a police permit, I was denied access there. My first trip to Chenjiagou, several years later, took eight hours on mud roads from Zhengzhou!]

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... adabcda820
Last edited by Trick on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic