So I stopped doing Egoscue and...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

So I stopped doing Egoscue and...

Postby Buddy on Sat May 24, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm getting better. I suspect that if I could see someone live as opposed to sending digital pictures they might have helped me but...weird.
Last edited by Buddy on Sat May 24, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy
Great Old One

Re: So I stopped doing Egoscue and...

Postby Mike Strong on Sat May 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Soooo, - it helped for a while, and then it made things worse ?
Mike Strong

Postby Buddy on Sat May 24, 2008 4:44 pm

It did, I think. Things changed, some things got better, but some things got worse.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Sat May 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Good to hear it buddy.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 am

Buddy wrote:It did, I think. Things changed, some things got better, but some things got worse.

Is it possible that at some point, you started overdoing the exercises?

I wasn't sure from his book whether he was touting his method as a "fix" for what ails you, or as a general set of exercises that could be used to ward off the negative effects mentioned in the book. It seemed to me that it might have worked either way.

I would pick up yoga if I were you. It's common enough that you can find quality instruction at various price levels near you. And you can do it for life.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 am

Nah,
I did them exactly as prescribed. They definitely tout them as a cure to structural issues. Derrick Notman can probably address the whys better then me as he's actually studied the method. I think I will give the yoga a try. And go back to my baduanjin I learned from Luo.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 25, 2008 6:31 am

Maybe similar to Buddy's situation, I tried yoga twice, and each time it helped for the first few weeks, then things got worse. Years later after I learned qigong and more about what's what, I realized that the problem with yoga was part me and part the instructor. I had a gung-ho, more is better attitude and went too hard at tough postures like the plow, which i should never have attempted based on multiple car accidents and neck injuries. I think a better yoga instructor would either screened better or never taken beginners into such postures, but YMMV.

So maybe, the egoscue is good, but Buddy is doing something wrong with it. Kshurika seems to have good posts about yoga for beginners. I like what he says. Has he found the new board?
Michael

Postby MikeC on Sun May 25, 2008 7:02 am

I think the answer here would be Yoga Therapy for the specific injury, not just a general yoga class. But that will have it's bennies too.

Mike
MikeC

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun May 25, 2008 7:03 am

when you are healing, you will often centralize and focus the problem before dissipating it.
Sometimes you have to work through the rough patches to break through into the final stages.

This is not necessarily inherent to one method or another, it just seems to be the way it goes when you are holistically healing without surgery or medicine.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 25, 2008 7:15 am

Yeah, that's often the case, Darth.
Michael

Postby somatai on Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 am

not sure what to say Buddy...i learned alot from Pete's course, but it is not the mainstay of my work....i find the key is to get people to change the way they move and use their body and not just to do new things with it the same old way...it is all about developing new pathways and awareness, so the whole body is doing the work....as for yoga...i treat too many people that get hurt through yoga...properly done it is great, but most of the time it is crap...i work at a major yoga space in Boston and can say that most of the teachers have no sense of the body, they are all just doing form...they are into" yoga" and do not seem to realize that yoga is just a way of learning to be with the bodybeing....they over stretch,are stiff and cannot move well ;D

buddy check your pm

http://www.dereknotman.com
Last edited by somatai on Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
somatai

Postby ashe on Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 am

Michael wrote:Maybe similar to Buddy's situation, I tried "yoga" twice... went too hard at tough postures like "the plow", which i should never have attempted based on multiple car accidents and neck injuries.

we know what you were up to... ;) :D

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Always had to really concentrate when I was doing Yoga with all these scantily clad women who were in postures so inviting..................................................................................

Always had to remind myself to take my energy from my lower dantien and move it around.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun May 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Dale Dugas wrote:scantily clad women who were in postures

That's what yoga's for.

Goji berries!
Ian

Postby Bhassler on Sun May 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Last edited by Bhassler on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic