What are you reading?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Mike Strong on Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 am

Kundalini: From Hell to Heaven ( Wisdom From The Completed Journey ); by Ganga karmokar

I have read hundreds of books on the subject, and they are all crap ( with the exception of Gopi Krishna's books, and a book by Swami Vishnu Tirtha) ...

... this one rings true to my experince, and I highly recomend it.
Mike Strong

Postby fuga on Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 am

just finished the pirate novel and am now reading...

The Damned Season by Carlo Lucarelli (the second book after his great Carte Blanche noir story)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm

"Chinag Kai Shek" bio by
Jonathan Fenby

Just want to say that this is a very good read- no holds barred bio of CKS- the good and the bad.

If you are a western person interested in China's Republican period you may enjoy this book.

Chock full of skulldrudgery, Mauser pistols, warlords like ole' "three don't knows", opium, bandits, sing song girls and so on...

Fun to read it.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 am

Fables by Willingham
New Universal by Ellis
Final Crisis by Morrison
Walking Dead by Kirkman
The Lower Regions by Robinson

you meant comics right?

-Jess O
Last edited by JessOBrien on Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri May 30, 2008 10:53 am

И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Chanchu wrote:
...warlords like ole' "three don't knows"...

When ever I see a stereotypical rap video with women, white limos, and helicopters..., I think back to General "three don't knows" and say "this is nothing!"

/Three don't know = don't know how many troops he's got, how much money he's got, or how many concubines he's got (because too many to count).
//bonus point: his mother was a famous witch (as in the kind with supernatural powers).
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Fri May 30, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm

I Saw Red China
austrailian/american woman journalist toured China around 65', it's a little mind boggling how she describes things like, no beggars on the streets, no littering...To think that they erraticated those things and have now fallen right back into them in such a short time is baffling.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Chanchu on Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Zongchang

"Dog meat general" "three dunno's" "old 86" etc has GOT to be one of the most interesting rogue's in all of history! what a funny guy! ha ha! I would love to read a bio of him- I think there have been some in Chinese...

In the CKS bio I am reading- it talks about him (three dunno's) riding into battle in a armored railroad car- sitting on a coffin surrounded by his scores of concubines... :o

Great stuff! I did not know that about his mother- but that would explain some things would it not?? Ha ha!

;D
Last edited by Chanchu on Fri May 30, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat May 31, 2008 5:38 am

Atlas Shrugged
Last edited by Chris Fleming on Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Fleming

Postby bigphatwong on Sat May 31, 2008 2:44 pm

emptyflower. ;D
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 3:30 pm

Lullaby, by Chuck Pahliniuk (or however the hell you spell his last name)

Just re-read CMC's "TJQ A simplified form of calisthenics for health and self defense" and it just keeps getting better every time I go back to it.

Other recent finishes - "The Power of Body Language" by some horse-faced chick, and "The Mystery Method:How to get beautiful women into bed" by Mystery.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby fuga on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Boots Tracks by Matthew F. Jones

For anyone interested, there is a lot of high quality noir under the Europa Editions label. (Massimo Carlotto, Jean Claude Izzo, and Gene Kerrigan)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:55 am

Michael Faraday biography in Chinese.

Michael Faraday (22 September 1791 - 25 August 1867) was a British scientist.

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly."
Politics is when one says something and try to do it after, & science is when one done it and you say something..... (I paraphased this from the chinese version)

Sourced

Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature, and in such things as these, experiment is the best test of such consistency.
Laboratory diary entry #10,040 dated 19 March 1849
published in Faraday's Diary, T. Martin, ed. (1932-1936)
If you would cause your view ... to be acknowledged by scientific men; you would do a great service to science. If you would even get them to say yes or no to your conclusions it would help to clear the future progress. I believe some hesitate because they do not like their thoughts disturbed.
Life and Letters, 2:389.
Among those points of self-education which take up the form of mental discipline, there is one of great importance, and, moreover, difficult to deal with, because it involves an internal conflict, and equally touches our vanity and our ease. It consists in the tendency to deceive ourselves regarding all we wish for, and the necessity of resistance to these desires. It is impossible for any one who has not been constrained, by the course of his occupation and thoughts, to a habit of continual self-correction, to be aware of the amount of error in relation to judgment arising from this tendency. The force of the temptation which urges us to seek for such evidence and appearances as are in favour of our desires, and to disregard those which oppose them, is wonderfully great. In this respect we are all, more or less, active promoters of error. In place of practising wholesome self-abnegation, we ever make the wish the father to the thought: we receive as friendly that which agrees with, we resist with dislike that which opposes us; whereas the very reverse is required by every dictate of common sense.
Royal Institution Lecture On Mental Education, 6 May 1854, as reprinted in Experimental Researches in Chemistry and Physics, by Michael Faraday, 1859, pp 474-475, emphasis verbatim.
There is no more open door by which you can enter into the study of natural philosophy than by considering the physical phenomena of a candle.
The Chemical History of a Candle(1860)
[edit]Unsourced

One day sir, you may tax it.
Faraday's reply to William Gladstone, then British Chancellor of the Exchequer (minister of finance), when asked of the practical value of electricity (1850).
Work. Finish. Publish.
His well-known advice to the young William Crookes
...but still try, for who knows what is possible...
Above the doorways of the Pfahler Hall of Science at Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. [1]
The lecturer should give the audience full reason to believe that all his powers have been exerted for their pleasure and instruction.
The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly.
Next Sabbath day (the 22nd) I shall complete my 70th year. I can hardly think of myself so old.
Speculations? I have none. I am resting on certainties. I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
regarding the hereafter
I shall be with Christ, and that is enough.
Last words answering the question "Have you ever pondered by yourself what will be your occupation in the next world?"
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Now onto Orhan Pamuk's Snow.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby juz on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:04 am

Just Read Gavin Menzies 1421 (latest edition)

How the Chinese discovered the antipodes ,the new world, antartica, magellan strait, etc before anyone else...whatever...he seems to be forgetting a few other "got there first" civillisations but anyhow

interesting, but his theories certainly seem to make some people go CRAZY-APESHIT, especially some people who would rather the relative pioneer be a white-skinned gentleman, and not a eunoch...
Last edited by juz on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic