The end of days

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The end of days

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Steve James wrote:The Mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world in 2012, just the end of the cycle.

but this ending is special:
(from the wikipedia page about 2012)

December 21 — The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).[8] The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[9] However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next.[citation needed]

(and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar)
Last edited by qiphlow on Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

wow, we'll be able to exploit the shit out of James Joyce for free!

Bore the masses for profit! Hooray!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm

From your quote:

"The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear .... However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next."

There no reference to the "end of the world" in the Mayan writings, only the end of "a" cycle of creation, not creation. Western translators have interpreted the 'end of time' out of the calendar, not the Mayan writings --such as the Popul Voh. There are also Mayans who are alive today, btw. But, nobody asks them what they think :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 3:50 pm

The popul vuh is not actually pure maya. It is highly influenced by Christian/Catholic thought as it was written in spanish originally.

the quiche Maya of Guatemala had a mythos of sorts, but by the time it got penned into the popol vuh, it was tainted.

However, the calendar reveals the aforementioned long time cycles and the transition that will occur at the prescribed time.

we will also be moving below the elliptical plane of our own galaxy and we continue into another cycle of precession.

this may have some effect on magnetic polarity in some circles of thought. Much like how Coriolis effect is observed and how that may become opposite.
the ramifications of a massive pole shift seem dire indeed but are outside of theoretical models, unknown.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu May 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Yeah, the Popul Voh is as much a product of the Christian missionaries as it is of the Maya. But, my point was that it's wrong to infer from this particular calendar that the Mayan saw 2012 as the end of anything but a particular cycle. It was the western interpreters who said that. For ex., it's true that 12/21/2012 is the end date on their calendar. That is the date for the end of the 13th Baktun. Ok, suppose they're right? Well, their 1st Baktun started in 3014 BC, and all the dates are calculated from then. Then again, what if that wasn't the date of Creation? Or, maybe it was the "creation" of something else?

Hey, I don't know that the world won't end in 2012 or before. Sure, the magnetic poles might flip, as they have in the past. Now, if the dates for the Mayan Baktuns matched the flipping of the poles, even since 3014BC, that'd be scary.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu May 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I-mon wrote:but whatever, my point is only that we live in exciting times.

That's an old Chinese curse, you know -- "May you live in interesting times."

;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Steve James wrote: There are also Mayans who are alive today, btw. But, nobody asks them what they think :)

becuse the truth would probably be pretty boring. ;)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

actually I feel like we'll see the end of the Pax Americana in our lifetimes. but that's about as close as it gets to the apocalypse.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Craig on Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm

klonk wrote:
Craig wrote:Christians dont believe in gravity!

Don't understand the statement. I am a Christian and I cannot get off the ground by flapping my arms. Airline service is so bad, would that I could, but it's no go.

I rather think some things that pass for current on this board, with regard to what Christiains think and do, bear no resemblance to what actual Christians actually think, do and believe.

Anybody who cringes at Chink jokes might find the time to consider this.

haha klonk, my post was a reference to a family guy episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_by_North_Quahog

When Peter tells Mel Gibson that his movie is in the Rushmore's mouth, he steps in midair and falls onto the ground, with a scene similar to the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons (Peter claims that Mel did this because "Christians don't believe in gravity").
Last edited by Craig on Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby nready on Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 pm

nianfong wrote:actually I feel like we'll see the end of the Pax Americana in our lifetimes. but that's about as close as it gets to the apocalypse.
I agree nianfong, seems to me "that the corporations are now taking the places of powerful nations of the past as well".
nready
Santi

Postby Bär on Fri May 30, 2008 8:00 am

Pax Americana is likely ending, but American corporate culture has spread well outside the borders. After all, one of our largests "American" companies - Halliburton - is now based in Dubai.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby taijiplayer on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:43 am

I'm a fan of the ~Bible alone~ before all those religions translated it. Jesus told the disciples that he would come back before the last disciple died. The last disciple died almost 2000 years ago and wrote The Revelation and he saw the Second Coming. Most Christians missed the boat. Its over. There isn't a Third Coming. Lets focus on building a real Star Trek Enterprise. This is something to look forward to. Teach your children a future.

Taijiplayer
taijiplayer
Mingjing

Postby Michael on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 am

"End Days" is also a way to frighten and demoralize people so they'll more readily do what you tell 'em to.
Michael

Postby klonk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Michael wrote:"End Days" is also a way to frighten and demoralize people so they'll more readily do what you tell 'em to.

This is so directly contrary to what actual Christian think, practice and believe that it is an affront.

Or complete ignorance. I don't care which you call it.

Research, and ye shall find. :) The view shared by Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant and Pentecostal Christians is that we don't know just when the hammer drops.

Even God likes a surprise break on the trigger. Reading me, Jarhead?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 pm

taijiplayer wrote:I'm a fan of the ~Bible alone~ before all those religions translated it. Jesus told the disciples that he would come back before the last disciple died. The last disciple died almost 2000 years ago and wrote The Revelation and he saw the Second Coming. Most Christians missed the boat. Its over. There isn't a Third Coming. Lets focus on building a real Star Trek Enterprise. This is something to look forward to. Teach your children a future.

Taijiplayer

That is a remarkable interpretation. I remark it so that you may examine it again. It needs closer examination. Big time. I think it is not at all right, but I am glad peolpe are thinking about it.

The biggest point of misreading here comes--as usual--in a mistatement of holy writ. The idea that the end times have come already is plainly wrong, for sinners are plentiful as ever, and close examination of Jesus' statement will not bear the meaning you are trying to impose upon it.

Best wishes,
Klonk
Last edited by klonk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic