Single Malt

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Single Malt

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:48 pm

hi, recently taken to drinking single malts. first was Macallan - elegant; next was Glenlivet - reminded me of pineapple; and currently a Laphroaig 15 years. planning on getting Ardbeg next he he he... here's my tasting notes for the Laphroaig:-

For a whiskey that i have heard much about and wanting to try for some time, the plain white packaging comes across as a little disappointing.But i do like the white capped cork that comes with the bottle - it came across as nicely eccentric.

The bouquet is fragrant and floral with peat as a base note. drinking it neat, the "15" rests easily in your mouth, tasting foral, nutty, smoky and peaty.However, the most outstanding for me is the seaweed, with a ghostly thin hint of salt at the end.
Also adding body is the peat and mud/clay.

the 15 puts you at ease like you are with an old friend; or like a new one that you feel you have known for years.Unlike the Macallan, that sings in a high note like a soprano; the Laphroaig does not make you admire it.
Drinking the "15" is like walking in the country side with a close friend.

i understand now the plain packaging - one does not need high fashion and embellishments when meeting friends;all you have to be is really yourself.

cheers, S.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: Single Malt

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:50 pm

oban ftw.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Strange wrote:the 15 puts you at ease like you are with an old friend; or like a new one that you feel you have known for years.Unlike the Macallan, that sings in a high note like a soprano; the Laphroaig does not make you admire it.
Drinking the "15" is like walking in the country side with a close friend.

nono, I think you got that wrong. for relaxing times, it's SUNTORY time
esp the Yamazaki 18 year. gorgeous scotch-style whiskey.

to me laphroaig is like a kick in the nose--the peatiness is so strong. I love it when I feel like it though. I have a bottle of the 15 at home.
I think the Lagavulin 16 is better balanced.

But my standard is the Macallan Cask Strength.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:49 pm

i just like beer.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:27 pm

i was told in scottish pubs, some ppl take their drink half whiskey and half beer. some day i'll try that and make ppl around me think i haven't take my meds for the day ke ke ke

yeah i hear great stuff about japanese whiskey; i need to find where i can get my hands on one in singapore. lost in translation is cool and so is bill murray; after my glass of japanese whiskey i'm gonna go " oh rip me, rip me!!"
Last edited by Strange on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:39 am

Aberlour is nice and won't break the bank, fwiw. My personal faves are Glenmorangie's funky barrels like Madiera & port. Balvenie Doublewood is also nice & round.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

I think that beverage fanciers stretch for their metaphors sometimes, but whatever floats yer boat say I.

S- actually enjoys reading them for just that bizzare, ostentatious quality...but in limited quantity.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:20 am

strange, be sure to try the yamazaki 18 year. suntory makes it, but you'd probably have to hunt on the label for the suntory name.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Fong,
That was freaking brilliant! I shot beer from my nose! I wish I could like whiskey but I just don't.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:18 pm

fong - ah i didnt know that. i got a liqour store to email me their single malt list, lets see if the yamazaki shows up

bar - ah yes, i'm trying my friend's glenmorangie tonight, yeah the colour these barrels impart are beautiful; we'll see how it gets me. abelour huh? ok i'll note. currently, after laphroaig, everything else is just cute, sweet, nice and civilised, but somehow rings hollow... anyone had caol ila before, pls let me know

ss - we'all moving mountains, rivers, entire block buildings, ships and oil tankers in our zz practice. whiskey metaphors... are nothing ke ke.

cheers all,
S
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:26 pm

nianfong
Administrator

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:36 pm

For whiskey and beer, you want to use an irish, or something like maker's mark, or even turkey or jack daniels, in my opinion. :)

I can't hang with the laphroig, I can drink it all right, but the hangover the next day just isn't worth it. Peat tastes like pain to me, just like hops.

I like highland park for a midrange, along with the macallans, and glenrothes, and oban, and balvenie, and the dalmore, and the dalmore cigar malt. All the sweet and mellow speysides and whatnot.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Strange on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:55 pm

my boss (swedish) has a 30 yr Highland Park, he swears its the best whiskey in the world ha ha
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby chud on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm

qiphlow wrote:i just like beer.

Me too. Having said that, what is a good "beginner scotch"? Something that is a little easier to drink for a newbie like me who enjoys beer...
chud
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:36 pm

the speysides are usually more approachable. as are the lowland scotches (which are pretty much like an irish whiskey)
the speysides tend to be sweeter and smoother, with less peat. the lowlands tend to have almost no peat.

I'd recommend a glenmorangie or macallan to start. maybe glenlivet, but it's not nearly as good.
nianfong
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic