Obama: Historical Nomination

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Obama: Historical Nomination

Postby steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am

Let's give it up for the big O shall we? :D

Whether you will vote for him or not; republican or otherwise, the man has gone where no other african-american-cacausion has ever gone before. This is a historical an unprecedented day that all of us should remember for the rest of our lives. He really does offer up what he believes in by his own shining example ..... hope, inspiration, motivation, courage, dignity, and most of all political change.

It takes a very strong man to stand up against all the adversity, ie. Clintons and their old lady supporters, rednecks, racists, republicans, neo-cons, hate mongers, etc., but through it all, the man stands TALL and will always be a symbol of progression and determination in American society today and going forward. Hats off to you Mr Obama, you have done your country proud!
Last edited by steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Re: Obama: Historical Nomination

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 am

Congratulation to Obama and hope that he succeeds and will be a good president.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 am

Did the fat lady finally sing? For realz??
Michael

Postby steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 am

Michael wrote:Did the fat lady finally sing? For realz??

Believe it or not, the fat lady is still singing, but the delegates have been awarded to Obama. Hillary is playing her last hand of, "give me what I want or my supporters won't vote for you." Either way, Obama clinched it last night before he even won Montana!!

He is now the democratic presidential nominee!

The mud slinging from McCain has already started ..... The old man looked like he was ready to fall over trying to read his tele-prompter at last night's speech. BTW, McCain had about 200 supporters at his "speech", while Obama had TWENTY THOUSAND! :o
Last edited by steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

Well, imo, it's the U.S. that has made history. It's not about him winning the presidency; it's about a major party accepting him as its representative to the nation.

I wrote about this in my department newsletter last year. But, last night may have marked the end of the perception of African American history as something separate from US history. His story, win or lose, is an historical moment that will be noted in all history books. It will be impossible to remove the Obama candidacy from the historical context of, for ex., that this year marks the 200th anniversary of the end of the US's participation in the African slave trade. And, when/if Obama accepts the party nomination in August's convention, it will be on the very day that 45 years earlier MLK made his "I Have a Dream" speech.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:20 am

Steve James wrote:Well, imo, it's the U.S. that has made history. It's not about him winning the presidency; it's about a major party accepting him as its representative to the nation.

I wrote about this in my department newsletter last year. But, last night may have marked the end of the perception of African American history as something separate from US history. His story, win or lose, is an historical moment that will be noted in all history books. It will be impossible to remove the Obama candidacy from the historical context of, for ex., that this year marks the 200th anniversary of the end of the US's participation in the African slave trade. And, when/if Obama accepts the party nomination in August's convention, it will be on the very day that 45 years earlier MLK made his "I Have a Dream" speech.

Very true Steve. You are right, it goes beyond just the man - right to the center of who "we" are. The August convention is going to be a trip! :)
Last edited by steelincotton on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am

Historic and particularly poignant for those of us like myself who are old enough to have grown up with and remember Jim Crow laws, the Civil Rights Movement (though the struggle for equality is much older), Martin Luther King etc.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am

this promises to be a very interesting election season.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:31 pm

boosh!
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 pm

While I only wish for his inevitable defeat, I also think this is an historic occasion. I hope it goes far in healing the severe political divisiveness that the Bush administration has brought about in this country and our world. Congratulations, Mr. Obama, you crushed the worst political machine since Tammany Hall. Good on ya for that.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Well, as we used to say back home, you can wish in one hand and poop in the other, and see which fills up first.

Obama 08
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Very classy, but not out of character.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 pm

I think a lot of Canadians are rooting for Obama too. Of course, for me, I don't really need a reason to root someone... ;)
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Craig on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:18 am

Craig
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 am

well, yes, i do think it's an historic step for the US.

and i'm old enough to remember very well being taken on marches with my mom for MLK. those experiences shaped a lot of my values.

i think steve's comments are right on.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic