Tao Te Ching (full) MP3

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Tao Te Ching (full) MP3

Postby iamjonathan on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:12 am

I haven't posted or checked in recently even though I planned to because my internet connection in China is a bit sketchy.

Anyway, I recorded the full text of Stephen Mitchels translation of the Tao Te Ching to MP3 the other night.

If you want to listen to it, you can download it here:
http://www.wudangquan.com/taoteching.mp3

I also recorded the following other stuff for people to listen to if they want:

Chi Wen Dong - The Red Streaked Cave
The Pivot Of Jade
The Hsin Yin Ching - Imprint Of The Heart
Ching Jing Jing - Purity And Rest
Tai Hsi Ching - Respiration Of The Embryo
Universal Understanding

Sometime tonight I'll probably finish recording the entire Zhuang Zi, so if anyone doesn't think my voice is to over the top ridiculous or something, and wants that let me know.

I'm just recording these for myself, but since they're already recorded, I figured some people might like to listen to them on their mp3 player or computer also.

Regards,

Jonathan
iamjonathan
Santi

Re: Tao Te Ching (full) MP3

Postby bruce on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:12 am

thanks
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks!
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby josh on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am

very nice of you to make these available to the forum... just FYI and FWIW Stephen Mitchell does not read Chinese and his "translation" is up there with Aleister Crowley and Ursula K. LeGuin's as some of the worst "interpretive translations" of the Daodejing (meaning, they just read some other people's translations and added their own 'poetic flair' to them). better to stick with one of the many translations made by reputable scholars...
one of my grad school professors wrote an article on this phenomenon:
Paul R. Goldin, “Those Who Don’t Know Speak: Translations of the Daode jing by People Who Do Not Know Chinese,” Asian Philosophy 12.3 (2002), 183-195.
Abstract:
This essay discusses selected English translations of the Daode jing by people who do not know Chinese, and criticizes them on three counts: they rely heavily on earlier translations; they fail any basic test of accuracy; and they distort and simplify the philosophy of the original. The paper concludes by considering why publishers continue to market such works, and why readers consume them.
Last edited by josh on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am

Josh, what translation do you like?
chud
Great Old One

Postby Father_Jon on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks for holding up the banner for quality (and qualified) translation, Josh!

Chud: FWIW, I always liked the Ames and Hall (Making this Life Significant), I've heard people attest to it's translation, though I can't speak to that myself.
Father_Jon
Santi

Postby josh on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm

chud wrote:Josh, what translation do you like?

There are a ton of them out there so I'm a little biased towards my adviser, Victor H. Mair's translation (his translation of the ZHuangzi, entitled Wandering on the Way is also my favorite version of that text).
Other well-regarded translations that I can think of would be
Arthur Waley
D.C. Lau
Red Pine
Rudolf Wagner
Moss Roberts
there are also several translations (Roger Ames, Robert Henricks) based on recently excavated MS versions of this text that differ slightly from the received version.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:18 pm

josh wrote:very nice of you to make these available to the forum... just FYI and FWIW Stephen Mitchell does not read Chinese and his "translation" is up there with Aleister Crowley and Ursula K. LeGuin's as some of the worst "interpretive translations" of the Daodejing (meaning, they just read some other people's translations and added their own 'poetic flair' to them). better to stick with one of the many translations made by reputable scholars...
one of my grad school professors wrote an article on this phenomenon:
Paul R. Goldin, “Those Who Don’t Know Speak: Translations of the Daode jing by People Who Do Not Know Chinese,” Asian Philosophy 12.3 (2002), 183-195.
Abstract:
This essay discusses selected English translations of the Daode jing by people who do not know Chinese, and criticizes them on three counts: they rely heavily on earlier translations; they fail any basic test of accuracy; and they distort and simplify the philosophy of the original. The paper concludes by considering why publishers continue to market such works, and why readers consume them.

Fuck Crowley, but Ursula, oh Ursula, how could ye do it to us?
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:40 pm

This is a fantastic page about the Daodejing and other Chinese texts. It has 112 different English translations (among many different other languages). It also includes the Chinese characters and Pinyin.
http://home.pages.at/onkellotus/
Last edited by cdobe on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks cdobe. And thanks Jonathan for making and posting the file.
Last edited by chud on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:21 pm

it's all about the translation...

i tried to read wandering on the way. tried...

if it's the same translation i'm thinking of.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Manco on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:

Fuck Crowley[/quote]

I totaly agree with this! The man was totaly insane and dangerously disturbed. But never the less, Crowley lived in Shanghai back in the 30's and for a short while, so i suppose he "may" have spoken some limited Chinese. It was a while before all that "Thelema" rubbish. He was quite an accomplished wizard in the western sense, but he also tried to merge in it some Eastern practices such as Yoga and what he perceived as Taoism.
I would agree with Josh and his teacher, and i would add that this phenomenon extends into the Chinese Medicine translation too.I once attended a workshop about Daoist acupuncture, and the teacher had his "own" interpretations of some not-yet-translated-classics, while he spoke no Chinese what-so-ever. Waste of my 50 pounds!

On the Crowley subject, people would find amusing his History of Atlantis. I think you can find it online if you google.
Manco
Santi

Return to Off the Topic