dana white

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

dana white

Postby beegs on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:06 pm

so does anyone know exactly how Dana White, (former box aerobics instructor became the president of ufc?)

Dana is the pres of a very huge organization, and I have always wondered how he got that job?
beegs
Great Old One

Re: dana white

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Actually, the UFC is not that huge of an organization. Their office is a fairly small place behind a strip mall in Vegas.

That being said, his wikipedia entry tells the story pretty well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_White

I would say that Dana is a VERY sharp guy. The UFC was basically doing nothing at all, and he brought in the money, basically bought it, brought back the fighters, worked the issues out with the various fight commissioners, and helped turn MMA into what it is today. You do not do that through luck, or even having a few "connected" friends. It is not uncommon to hear complaints about Dana on various boards, particularly about how he likes the limelight, or how he keeps the fighters from getting their just rewards. I think that is BS. If it weren't for Dana and the way he set up the UFC, most MMA fighters would still be fighting local cage matches for 100 bucks a night. If you watch any UFC series show too, you can see that no matter how good a fighter is, many of the dudes are just still kids. Dana created a way to manage that energy.

Edit:

Here is another take on Dana White
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/ ... tial-arts/
Last edited by Muad'dib on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:54 pm

dana wasnt the one with the money though, was it his friends ?
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:33 pm

yeah, it was his friends. But personally, I don't think that matters. I have a friend who is a billionaire, but unless I come up with a rock solid fucking business plan, he isn't gonna shell out cash in the range that is needful here.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:53 am

Dana knows marketing. You can have total garbage and if it's marketed well it's a gold mine. Tae Kwon Do comes to mind.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby TaoBoxer on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 am

And Kettlebells..... and Matt Fury....... You take somthing that is not really yours and not really all that unique, and you work hard to sell the crap out of it till you're rich. I wish I had a little more of that in me......

Lewitt
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:50 am

Huge article about him & this question in the most recent Rolling Stone.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:25 am

Last edited by beegs on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm

beegs wrote:i agree with all stated, however to call tae kwon do crap is silly, all martial arts are very good, and people train for various reasons, etc.

-woot-
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:58 pm

right place, right time, right motivation.

that's the ingredients to that particular success.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Last edited by Bär on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Just having a dig at the black belt factories.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:45 pm

all ma have black belt factories in their number.

heck, there are even a lot of really shitty mma places... but that's obvious, lol. One can surmise tat from teh sheer lack of talent and the continued reign of the same guys who have always been at the top.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Just having a dig at the black belt factories.

i hear ya, but let me ask this, and i mean it with due respect, and have been fighting my own hardcore ego about the answer.

if a hardcore school has ten guys learning'real gong fu" and later 8 of those ten become family men with fat bellies and basically stop training, and at the same time, the belt factory is teaching 300 students and a ton of kids and peoples lives become better through this and the kids get discipline and the adults train into old age, which is doing more for people? and which will have longevity

(im not into mcdojos, but more than half the hardcore guys i know, are now hobbyist or dont train at all(past mid to late 30's), or have many injuries, etc)
Last edited by beegs on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby jerrymartin on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:03 am

ah ha!

I knew you were a softy Beegs!

Just kidding. I have also been "grappling" with this issue. Those of you that have followed some of my posts from when I signed on here to now, know that I own a school (just quit my other job and do it full-time now) and have struggled very hard to maintain my integrity by not watering down. BUT at the same time, in order to make a living sometimes you take on students that would not cut it if it were too militant.

I have now come to the conclusion that it's kind of like boiling the frog. Here's an example for you. One of my students is a wonderful mother of two. Very cerebral, nerdy even. She would not have signed up if it were too intimidating. She liked the good workouts and the memorization element of forms training. Now, four years later, she's probably one of my best students. She's getting ready for her Brown Sash test and is beginning to get pretty good at the whole "self-defense" thing. I eased her into it you see.

My point is, if you own a school, the focus needs to be on self-improvement. Let me qualify this statement; if you own a school and want it to be your sole source of income. If you want to be teh deadly, you better find a good paying job.

I feel that you've struck on a chord here that's been resonating with me personally and have been making work for the past five years. Most of the students I sign up are broken in some way; OCD, HDD, Asburgers, Autistic, Down Syndrome or just plain awkward. Why is it less important to help these people? In fact, I would argue that it's the more noble use of my knowledge.

These people all need the most basic things that martial arts offer; balance, self-confidence, flexibility, strength, etc.

How many people walking the streets today have been in actual fights? I would argue the percentage is small. How many people walking the streets today need to be in better shape and have a greater level of self-confidence? I would say the lion's share do.

Eventually, the cream rises to the top. And over time only the most qualified will get the "closed door" stuff. Many will quit along the way as it becomes more difficult but they still will have benefitted from the time they spent training.

my .02

Jerry
Last edited by jerrymartin on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerrymartin
Santi

Next

Return to Off the Topic