Question: Why hasn't McCain chosen His Veep?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Question: Why hasn't McCain chosen His Veep?

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Really, I'm just curious. He's been the presumptive nominee for the last 3 months, but I haven't even heard any mention of it. All of the speculation is about Obama and Clinton ... or not. How come nobody's interested in the other ticket?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Question: Why hasn't McCain chosen His Veep?

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Timing. If he chose his VP when O and C were still duking it out, it would be a side note.

If I were him I'd wait for shit to settle with O, let O pick his VP, and then make my move. Last one in gets the big noise in the media. Unless obama really does pick Clinton for VP, in which case McCain's choice won't matter at all anyway.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeah, but that makes it look like the dems are calling the shots. Easy to pull a bait and switch. And, any choice he makes will be seen as a political tactic As you say, it prolongs Obama's position as the interesting candidacy --like him or not, since someone mentioned JR. It will also give Obama's running mate more time to campaign to his constituency.

Anyway, who do you think he should pick?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 pm

perhaps a better question is: who do we think he will be "strongly encouraged" to pick?
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:02 am

Ron Paul
;D
MikeC

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:20 am

Well, logically, he would pick whoever came in second in the primaries. Ironically, he's been out there alone for a long time.

Someone also suggested Condi Rice. Actually, I was gonna suggest R. Paul, too; but I didn't want to start a war :) Mitt Romney would make sense, in some ways; but they didn't get along at all, and McCain's mom doesn't trust Mormons. Then there's the religious guy, whose name I forget ... oh yeah, Huckabee. And, of course, there's John Thompson (which would certainly give the ticket almost 2 centuries of experience. Otoh, how about the original front runner, Rudy G.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 am

McCain should just choose Obama and be done with it.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 am

Whoever McBush picks it will be a losing ticket imho; especially if Obama picks General Wes Clarke to be his VP. Clarke was one of the first generals to speak out about the misguided and indecent invasion of Iraq, and was also a bigtime Hillary supporter....

Obama/Clarke 08!
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:27 am

Steve James wrote:Actually, I was gonna suggest R. Paul, too; but I didn't want to start a war :)

No war... That's just way too ridiculous to be taken seriously. :)

I suggest Lieberman. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 am

steelincotton wrote:Whoever McBush picks it will be a losing ticket imho; especially if Obama picks General Wes Clarke to be his VP. Clarke was one of the first generals to speak out about the misguided and indecent invasion of Iraq, and was also a bigtime Hillary supporter....

Obama/Clarke 08!

good call bruce
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby MikeC on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 am

Dmitri wrote:
Steve James wrote:Actually, I was gonna suggest R. Paul, too; but I didn't want to start a war :)

No war... That's just way too ridiculous to be taken seriously. :)

I suggest Lieberman. ;D

Howard Dean.
MikeC

Postby TaoJoannes on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am

I don't know about Clarke, he has a lot of egg on his face over the whole Bosnia thing, still, in the eyes of a lot of military minded voters.

McCain should convince Colin Powell to run with him. It's the only chance he'd have of winning this thing.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 am

Personally, I don't think that Powell would help. He's not going to win many African American voters just because he's on the ticket --especially against Obama. Yeah, it will give people who wouldn't vote for Obama, but who don't want to be thought of as bigots, the excuse to vote for McCain. But, I think it'd be more likely that they stayed home if they really felt that way.

Well, I don't think that anyone closely aligned --on the cabinet-- of the present administration will be on McCain's ticket. There's too much of a chance of "skeletons in the political closet" that will occupy media time and hurt the perception of the party in the eyes of the public.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm

McCain should pick a guy who's older than him. Just for the laughs. :)

Obama will win anyway so it doesn't matter who he picks. McCain is no different than Bush on 99% of the issues and we seem to know how the American people feel about bush... I think the term "dismal failure" comes to mind.

Not sure on the Clarke selection either. Being a good soldier doesn't translate out to good choice for political side man.

Clinton would be a smooth move, but there needs to be a who's the boss fist fight first between the two. Hillary would make a great vice or even a Potus, but the latter is here nor there now, so veep is the nbt for her and a real move towards power and change.

'09 could be an outstanding year for the states, the whole world is waiting to love the US again, but as long as asshat is at the helm, the hating will continue. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 pm

The world already loves us Darth.
;)
MikeC

Next

Return to Off the Topic