what are you listening to right now?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: what are you listening to right now?

Postby everything on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:24 pm

child prodigy
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:43 pm

windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 pm

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:24 pm

origami_itto wrote:https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/recordings-of-pygmy-music-from-the-1946-ogooue-congo-mission/

Reminded me of this:
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am

Steve James wrote:
origami_itto wrote:https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/recordings-of-pygmy-music-from-the-1946-ogooue-congo-mission/

Reminded me of this:

It's amazing stuff, I love primitive rhythms, more musicians, simpler instruments, little divergences and off-tempos and beat flippings, all coming from that sort of pure place of connecting with the rhythm versus trying to create a hook for a single.

Kendrick Lamar put together the black panther soundtrack and recruited a bunch of musicians from Africa to get the sound, he's got some really cool compositions on that album.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:08 pm

That soundtrack was one of the things that made the flick memorable.

Recently, I was impressed by these kids.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9ABi9XUPN-U[/youtube]
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Nothing wrong with that stuff.

I'm working with the primitive rhythms in some of my hobby production work. I like the way the variances feel if that makes any sense. Like you get that steady rhythm but the natural drift is like a sort of texture.
Then with good stereo you've got the potential for sounds "waking up" the brain in various ways. Binaural beats, or like I'll take two shakers and shake them at the same time with full stereo separation on the track. The idea is it sort of causes the brain to activate a little more, then you use the variance between two frequencies to attempt to entrain the brainwaves in medatative or sleep states.

This is my current work in progress, best with headphones.
https://soundcloud.com/7a0-9p/drum-circle-811
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:03 pm

Polyrhythmic cultures in the Americas are always combinations of European and African elements. In many West African societies, besides being associated with daily life, they were also related to specific religious traditions. I.e., every deity has a beat. When African peoples got together, they combined beats from the various cultures. You can see this in the way Brazilian music differs from Cuban, for ex.. Btw, African American music is generally not polyrhythmic. You mentioned Kendrick Lamar, but you won't find many hand drums in the music --unless you listen to Latin stations.:)

Yes, rhythmic music definitely has an effect on the brain. It can create a deep trance and an almost out of body experience.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:12 am

I'm coming at it more from a native american type perspective, I participated in sweat lodges for a few years out here lead by a sky dancer and was the fire keeper and a drummer. But that isn't to say the sounds and ideas don't come in to play at some point. No rules! :)

Like that track is one one-of-a-kind handmade conga and two frame drums. I record the conga first as the base rhythm, then go back and record the other drums in a different location relative to the microphone array. Then I had a handful of pearls I use for the shaker and snare effects.

I dunno, its fun stuff. Drawing inspiration from everything I have ever heard without worrying about where the sound, rhythm, or method comes from.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:54 pm

Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby aamc on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:39 pm

aamc
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:04 am

wiesiek wrote:spiders as the composers:
https://youtu.be/UBDm_B8cMs8?si=5aLsX7NF5mu7hs_c

Very cool!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:25 am

trying out 432 mz music (a tangent from the train with music thread)

What does 432 Hz do to the brain?
Moreover, studies have shown that listening to 432 Hz music can help to stimulate the brain's alpha waves, which are associated with a state of wakeful relaxation. This can lead to increased mental clarity and focus, making it easier to stay on task and be productive throughout the day.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:51 am

everything wrote:trying out 432 mz music (a tangent from the train with music thread)

What does 432 Hz do to the brain?
Moreover, studies have shown that listening to 432 Hz music can help to stimulate the brain's alpha waves, which are associated with a state of wakeful relaxation. This can lead to increased mental clarity and focus, making it easier to stay on task and be productive throughout the day.

Have you listened to this one? Andre 3000 from Outkast's latest album, instrumental flute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxGdKIuO20
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:38 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic