the terrorist fist jab

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: the terrorist fist jab

Postby ninepalace on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:50 am

internalenthusiast wrote:lol. good comments so far on this thread.

ninepalace only starts pimp threads.

internalenthusiast wrote:personally, seeing the clip, i thought it was a charming and affectionate gesture of congratulations between two people who obviously care about each other. i think faux news missed the "muslim bottom spank" just after.

but i can't believe how you guys are laughing off an observation of the most watched and most respected news network in america.

just wait till obama forces praying to meca 5x a day. i don't want to have to say i told you so.
ninepalace

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:14 am

Unfortunately, a simple thought experiment can show how devastating such press can be.

Think about how idiotic and clueless the average man on the street is.

Now realize that 50% of the people out there are dumber.

Let's hope enough young and dap-happy hipsters are paying attention to help further underscore how stupid this makes the "journalists" involved appear.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Wuyizidi on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am

Change means uncertainty, risk. So naturally we're all afraid of change to some degree. Having a black man for president is just too much change for some people. In today's enlightened culture, you can't just come out and say that. So what a lot of people do is latch onto any negative information, no matter how inaccurate and preposterous, about the source of that anxiety: Barack Obama is a Muslem, he's not a "real American", that he hates all white people... It's basically their way of saying "Barack Obama is not one of us".

So it's not really about people being stupid and ignorant. It's something deeper. It's about how human beings manifest fear. Intellectual capacity wise most people are just fine. Here a lot of people believe something that is not true because deep down they have a need for that belief.

From Wikipedia entry on critical thinking:
Failure to recognize the relationship between thinking, feeling, wanting, and traits of mind can easily lead to various forms of self-deception, both individually and collectively. When persons possess intellectual skills alone, without the intellectual traits of mind, weak sense critical thinking results. Fair-minded or strong sense critical thinking requires intellectual humility, empathy, integrity, perseverance, courage, autonomy, confidence in reason, and other intellectual traits.

Some people (government leaders, military strategists, scientists, investors, doctors...) tend to be better at these things because the consequences of even tiny errors in judgment are just too high. Most of the decisions we make as average people don't require that level of intellectual rigor. Except elections. Here we all need to exercise a higher level of reasoning. Sometimes nothing else matters except being right.

Wuyizidi
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 20 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 am

but i can't believe how you guys are laughing off an observation of the most watched and most respected news network in america.

.....respected....

no please...no more....I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt....

ninepalace - I don't think the majority of people on EF have bumped their heads hard enough during training to believe simply because Obama is "only 1/2 white" that he's a terrorist, so why not pump your fear propoganda elsewhere.

What's REALLY scary, is that the libelous act of the newsperson resulted in such a minimal smack on the wrist.

can you believe the temerity of barack HUSSEIN obama to use the terrorist fist jab on live national tv?

at first I thought you were just being sarcastic - now I realize you're just an anti-Obama Troll. Thank you for showing your hand so early in the game, I know to ignore the rest of your posts. If you have a problem with the color of the man, just say so. You'd not being making muslim remarks if he were 'all white', would you?

before it used to be 'the jew'.
then it became "he's a communist" - a successful propoganda smear by the govt to label people they want viewed in a negative light by their peers (meaning he believes in socialized govt programs, like medical and dental coverage for all - like the rest of the world?)
now it's "a muslim". that's just like saying "jew" - it's a faith. It's as stupid as saying "oh god, he believes in Buddha! run!"
And if you think Christians aren't just as capable of starting wars or attacking others for not being religion, go back to school and relearn American history, European history, etc...
Last edited by meeks on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Bär on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 am

He is sarcastic, no?

Why is there no good sarcasm smiley?
Bär
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Ian wrote:we just started receiving al-jazeera english over here and man is it awesome.

it's like the bbc, but with a lot more global coverage (none of that 90% of airtime for the elections, 2% for global affairs, 8% for everything else).

That sounds pretty good; I'm getting sick of election coverage.
Last edited by chud on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Bär wrote:He is sarcastic, no?

yea. people are off the hook over here...

i want obama to win, obviously. shit, i will have such satisfaction when chief justice roberts has him say, "i, barack hussein obama, do solemnly swear..." on inauguration day. something to shove up the asses off all those american taliban members (i.e. evangelical christians) who voted for bush.

i declare this the official sarcasm smiley -cheer-
ninepalace

Postby qiphlow on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:44 pm

maybe tone down the rhetoric just a tiny bit, 9p.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:17 pm

ninepalace wrote:
Bär wrote:He is sarcastic, no?

yea. people are off the hook over here...

i want obama to win, obviously. shit, i will have such satisfaction when chief justice roberts has him say, "i, barack hussein obama, do solemnly swear..." on inauguration day. something to shove up the asses off all those american taliban members (i.e. evangelical christians) who voted for bush.

i declare this the official sarcasm smiley -cheer-

hahahaha see now people will think that you're being sarcastic now (because of the smiley) and that you weren't before!

you better tone it down man! no more straight faced sarcasm! no more reverse double sarcasm! just good old fashioned "I think George Bush is great! ;) " type sarcasm, and everyone can relax.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 pm

no don't tone it down. I find it hilarious that people can't tell sarcasm without emoticons. har har
Ian

Postby internalenthusiast on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:12 pm

ninepalace wrote:
internalenthusiast wrote:lol. good comments so far on this thread.

ninepalace only starts pimp threads.

internalenthusiast wrote:personally, seeing the clip, i thought it was a charming and affectionate gesture of congratulations between two people who obviously care about each other. i think faux news missed the "muslim bottom spank" just after.

just wait till obama forces praying to meca 5x a day. i don't want to have to say i told you so.

hi...i assumed there was sarcasm in your initial post. i didn't mean to be laughing off the fox news comment. quite the opposite.

i meant to be saying that any interpretation of that gesture, other than affectionate and congratulatory, should probably be attributed to the motives of the commentator.

i think i said pretty much this, in the part of my post you didn't quote: "it's hard to see how anyone could construe it otherwise than warm and congratulatory--absent a commentator's ulterior motives. but i suspect i'm just saying the obvious."

wuyizidi wrote: "So it's not really about people being stupid and ignorant. It's something deeper. It's about how human beings manifest fear. Intellectual capacity wise most people are just fine. Here a lot of people believe something that is not true because deep down they have a need for that belief."

i'd basically agree with this. it's fear-based. people believe, or say they believe, such things...because they are afraid on some level. people mask fear through anger, rejection, prejudice, etc., etc.

imo, much of the pain of the world comes from our lack of understanding that underneath various "racial and cultural differences" we as human beings are much the same. i think the pain of a mother losing her child to war is much the same, regardless of "which side she's on."

and of course, sometimes people who fear, inspire fear in others and manipulate them through that. they do this for any number of reasons, ranging from "protecting themselves", to seeking money or power.

best...
Last edited by internalenthusiast on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:16 am

I-mon wrote:you better tone it down man! no more straight faced sarcasm! no more reverse double sarcasm! just good old fashioned "I think George Bush is great! ;) " type sarcasm, and everyone can relax.

straight faced sarcasm, aka stephen colbert style sarcasm, is the best at making fun of your opponent. just take their own beliefs to the next level. it's great.

ever see colbert roasting bush at the white house correspondents dinner? fucking brilliant.

my favorite line "The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will. "

and that fox news gives both sides to every story: "the president's side and the vice-president's side".
ninepalace

Postby edededed on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 am

That's the thing - it helps to insert pointy contradictions when being sarcastic (just to make sure that people identify your sarcasm)...

But anyway, apparently...
1. People hate difference
2. People hate change
3. People hate thinking

Democracy requires at least a majority of people to be un-stupid to work. (The (futile?) hope of democracy is that a majority of people are not stupid.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:59 am

RE: Al-Jazeera English
Reason it may look like the BBC is they head-hunted a huge crew of BBC World journos when they started the service.

But - dayam! Obama's Missus is a bit of a dodgy looking bint, don't ye think? Would you vote for a chap who married a dragon like that? Looks like she'd eat Hillary for breakfast and McCain for lunch without farting. I look forward to this becoming a significant (and serious) political issue among redneck voters in the coming weeks. (Sen. McCain: If you are reading this, I am available for consultations, but I warn you: I ain't cheap!)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:20 am

Andy_S wrote:But - dayam! Obama's Missus is a bit of a dodgy looking bint, don't ye think? Would you vote for a chap who married a dragon like that?

i saw her interviewed by john stewart in a tight little dress with no sleeves... i don't normally go for black chicks but i thought she looked like nice a piece of ass.
ninepalace

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic