the terrorist fist jab

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: the terrorist fist jab

Postby redmund2905 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:44 am

steelincotton wrote:I like Michelle Obama. She's the first, hopefully "first lady" that I could actually relate to. She's actually worked for a living and is a down to earth person. Can I get an Amen!

Look at that drug addicted, spoiled rich daddy's girl, seven home owning, face lifted, 20 years younger elite billionaire mistress Cindy McShame! And.... Cindy has the nerve to put down Michelle?

Michelle Obama is a winner hands down in comparison to that robotic Stepford Wife!!

Hyperbolic bias, yet again. Other first ladies -- from both parties -- have worked. And not all as Harvard-trained lawyers. The only meaningful thing "first" about MO, should she become first lady, is that she's African-American. Examples of modern first ladies who actually "worked for a living" include: Laura Bush (schoolteacher and librarian), HRC (practicing lawyer), Nancy Reagan (sales clerk, nurse's aide, actress), Rosalynn Carter (dressmaker's aide to her mother to support her family after father died when she was 13), Betty Ford (dancer, model, dance teacher to, among others, children with disabilties), and Pat Nixon (many part-time jobs to put herself through college, like sweeping floors, managing a pharmacy, etc., and teaching high school after college). The other two post-1960 first ladies -- Jackie Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson -- came from wealthy families. I hope you don't consider those first ladies who were stay-at-home moms to have not worked for a living. Most women I know would tear into anyone who expressed that opinion!

In any event, my point is this: while I agree that there is much about Michelle Obama to admire, and your enthusiasm is more than obvious, the only "first" about her in this company of ladies is, most likely, her color. There have been other first ladies who, in addition to working, came from humble backgrounds, were mothers, and, I daresay, were "down to earth." Implicitly tearing them down doesn't elevate MO.

As for your attack on Cindy McCain -- who should be off-limits if you think attacking MO is off-limits -- none of us in the general public has any no idea as to whether she "is" still drug-addicted (there's no doubt she once was) or spoiled. The wealth you assail her for pales in comparison to that of Teresa Heinz Kerry (who I'm sure you attempted to make First Lady in 2004), who rather than being born to it like CM married into it. Is one worse than the other? I don't know, but the creation of the wealth in both cases has nothing to do with the person who lucked into it. Also, if reports are to be believed, CM is not even close to being a half-billionairess. As for being a mistress, she is if you are defining the word as a woman who has and wields power and authority, as opposed to the pejorative "other woman" definition. She may have been the latter for no more than 13 months in 1979-80, but she has been Mrs. John McCain -- which by definition is not the "other woman" -- for approaching thirty years.
Last edited by redmund2905 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby steelincotton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:51 am

chud wrote:
Andy_S wrote:SNIP
Look at that drug addicted, spoiled rich daddy's girl, seven home owning, face lifted, 20 years younger elite billionaire mistress Cindy McShame!

Most of your complaints about Cindy McCain seem to be that she's wealthy, which is nothing to be ashamed of IMO. I think she is a good person, she's done a lot of charity work and seems to genuinely care about the people she helps. I actually like her a lot more than her husband, I'd rather vote for her.

Hey I might agree with you on that one Chud. Anyone would be better than John McCain! Actually, it's not that I want to insult Cindy McCain, but let's be real here. She's about 19 years younger, and some would call her a trophy wife. And a billionaire to boot! McCain's nowhere near her financial stratosphere, but I'm sure his political connections have helped her company in more ways than we'll ever know about it. She was 100% McCain's mistress for at least a year, while John tried to figure out how to get rid of his crippled wife of that time. Sad man McCain is.

I only brought her up, because she's insulted (and mislead the public) Michelle 3 times now, and Michelle hasn't said anything negative about her as far as I know. I think this kind of politics is the lowest of the low, BUT if she is going to attack her, I think it's fair to let folks know that she has some "issues." .........

Mainly, low self-esteem related problems like past drug addiction, and a greedy pension for face lifts! If that woman has one more face lift, she's going to start looking like Michael Jackson! ;D There's also the issue of her having Sudan investments in Darfu where they are currently sponsoring genocide, legal troubles, and now the latest "recipe-gate," which she supposedly stole from another magazine. To top it all off, she's basically another scorned weak woman like Hillary Clinton, whose husband has had some infidelity issues (of course John McShame has denied this), but she'll stand by her man, especially if he can become president right? If you add it all up, it's not exactly what I would call a shining example for a first lady.

Here's a little more insight into the McShames (apparently corruption goes hand in hand with these folks):
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/ ... index.html
Last edited by steelincotton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby steelincotton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:07 am

Check this out ... Cindy McCain life in a nutshell. All facts have been verified!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AD4_0i9 ... re=related
Last edited by steelincotton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:16 am

Personally, I don't really care about the wives. I don't think wealth or where it came from matters much either. A poor person who becomes President will inevitably become rich in the process. It even happened to Abe Lincoln.

Intelligence, imo, does matter; but, if the President's wife is a dodo, that's his problem, not mine.

I think that every second spent talking about the differences in the wives is a diverse from much more important issues. For ex., there are thousands of people who are flooded out in our midwest. And, forget about internationally: Afghanistan's Taliban, Pakistan, Sudan, ....

Aw, anyway, Cindy McCain is not a problem and neither is OM. They are both, imo, almost irrelevant until they become first lady; and, afterward, they may be somewhat more relevant.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:26 am

Steve James wrote:Aw, anyway, Cindy McCain is not a problem and neither is MO. They are both, imo, almost irrelevant until they become first lady; and, afterward, they may be somewhat more relevant.

I agree, but someone should tell FIX/FOX NEWS that. Each hour on the hour, they bring up Cindy McCain vs Michelle Obama. Heck, they even had to fire a news anchor over it, but it's still going on as we speak. The audacity of FIX NEWS calling themselves a news channel.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:58 am

Yeah, but Fox/Faux news is just a television show. I wouldn't imitate O'Reilly any more than I would Big Bird. It is also a tactic that diverts attention and, ultimately, they use to justify more of the same.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby redmund2905 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Steve James wrote:Personally, I don't really care about the wives. I don't think wealth or where it came from matters much either. A poor person who becomes President will inevitably become rich in the process. It even happened to Abe Lincoln.

Intelligence, imo, does matter; but, if the President's wife is a dodo, that's his problem, not mine.

I think that every second spent talking about the differences in the wives is a diverse from much more important issues. For ex., there are thousands of people who are flooded out in our midwest. And, forget about internationally: Afghanistan's Taliban, Pakistan, Sudan, ....

Aw, anyway, Cindy McCain is not a problem and neither is OM. They are both, imo, almost irrelevant until they become first lady; and, afterward, they may be somewhat more relevant.

Steve,

Well said. I don't often get involved in these discussions, because the partisanship (on both sides of the aisle) is so intense that all sorts of ridiculous statements are made.
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Don't you know that the fist bump is out?

Chris Fleming

Postby redmund2905 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:33 pm

redmund2905 wrote:
Steve James wrote:Personally, I don't really care about the wives. I don't think wealth or where it came from matters much either. A poor person who becomes President will inevitably become rich in the process. It even happened to Abe Lincoln.

Steve,

Well said. I don't often get involved in these discussions, because the partisanship (on both sides of the aisle) is so intense that all sorts of ridiculous statements are made.

Further to the discussion on first ladies, please see the link from today's New York Times to a somewhat interesting online discussion between two columnists (David Brooks (from the right, generally) and Gail Collins (from the left, generally)): http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... he-mob/?hp

I got a couple of chuckles from the article, esp. the following statement by Brooks explaining why he could never be a politician:

First, I can never imagine believing that I am qualified to be president of the United States. Second, I can never imagine meeting a person of the opposite sex who also believes I am qualified to be president of the United States. Third, if I did in fact meet such a person, I certainly would never marry her. I’d get a restraining order.
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:02 pm

I agree with those sentiments, Bret. People who want to be President are not ordinary Joes with lots in common with the general public. Then, their supporters all seem to claim that their candidate's stuff doesn't stink like all the others. The candidates' wives, however, know the real deal. They know that their husbands are neither angels nor devils, and --if you have a wife, you'll know-- the wife will always point out our (er, I mean their husbands') f-ups.

There is an old saying that "No one who wants to be President should be allowed to hold the office." It makes sense in some ways. In some Native cultures, btw, the elders (like their Senate/Supreme Court) choose someone to be chief. That person is not permitted to seek or run for office at all, and he/she can not refuse the job.
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic