Cung Le got his bluebelt

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Cung Le got his bluebelt

Postby CaliG on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Not long after winning the middleweight Strikeforce belt by soundly defeating Frank Shamrock, Cung Le gained another belt to add to his collection – a Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Cung’s jiu jitsu instructors Paul Schreiner and Garth Taylor felt Cung’s technique merited a promotion. For those that don’t know, Cung has been training BJJ regularly for the last couple years and although not many of his fights have gone to the ground, he is becoming very dangerous on the mat.

As Garth said, “Cung is a very special athlete, we waited so long to promote him because we wanted to make sure that he was developing slick technique, not just relying on his athleticism”

Not showing any signs of slowing down, Cung remains dedicated to honing his skills in his quest to become a complete mixed martial artist. According to Paul “The guy’s a true martial artist and most importantly is a very humble person who really respects the technical and strategic depth of jiu jitsu. On top of that he is a remarkable athlete and we’ve only seen a glimpse of what he’s capable of – watch out for his omoplata.”

Check out Cung rocking a sweet Lucky Gi and his brand new blue belt!

http://www.onthemat.com/articles/Cung_L ... _2008.html
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Re: Cung Le got his bluebelt

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 am

basically making him even more unfuckwithable.

by "even more" I think I mean "almost completely".
Ian

Postby internalenthusiast on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 am

i love watching his fights.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 am

Awesome.

Ian wrote:basically making him even more unfuckwithable.

by "even more" I think I mean "almost completely".

QFT
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Now he needs to train MMA, lose 5 pounds, and then take on Matt Hughes.
MikeC

Postby CaliG on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:45 pm

The interesting thing about it is that it sounds like they were kind of holding him back to make sure he actually earned it rather than giving it to him because he's naturally gifted.

MikeC wrote:Now he needs to train MMA, lose 5 pounds, and then take on Matt Hughes.

I want to him go up against BJ Penn, maybe not this year...but someday.
CaliG

Postby MikeC on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 am

Different weight class.

Personally, I'd like to see him at 185 fighting Silva, just to see how his kickboxing skills would match up. But he's kinda small for that weight class.

Mike
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeC

Return to Off the Topic