Do as I say...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Do as I say...

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tennessee Center for Policy Research
Source: Link

Energy Guzzled by Al Gore’s Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month
Gore’s personal electricity consumption up 10%, despite “energy-efficient” home renovations

NASHVILLE - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

“A man’s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In February 2007, An Inconvenient Truth, a film based on a climate change speech developed by Gore, won an Academy Award for best documentary feature. The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research uncovered that Gore’s Nashville home guzzled 20 times more electricity than the average American household.

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore’s massive home energy use, the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home’s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

Since taking steps to make his home more environmentally-friendly last June, Gore devours an average of 17,768 kWh per month –1,638 kWh more energy per month than before the renovations – at a cost of $16,533. By comparison, the average American household consumes 11,040 kWh in an entire year, according to the Energy Information Administration.

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Gore’s actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,” Johnson said. “Gore is exploiting the public’s concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.”

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a Nashville-based free market think tank and watchdog organization, obtained information about Gore’s home energy use through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service.
Buddy
Great Old One

Re: Do as I say...

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Gore's failure to look after his own house has little to do with the validity of the message he is pushing.

For instance, Ghandi is said to be a peacful man, but brass tacks says he divided a country and created a situation that evolved into a dangerous standoff combined with religious intolerance where there was little before.

Meh, Gore's message makes more sense than Bush's when it comes to the environment.

whining finger pointing is the new shit criticism though I guess.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:10 pm

it's probably because he's on that computer all the time. you know, the one he used to invent the internet.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Buddy wrote:Originally Posted by Tennessee Center for Policy Research

In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

“Actions speak louder than words, and Gore’s actions prove that he views climate change not as a serious problem, but as a money-making opportunity,” Johnson said. “Gore is exploiting the public’s concern about the environment to line his pockets and enhance his profile.”

Would these be more inconvenient truths?
Doh! :-X
MikeC

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:34 pm

qiphlow wrote:it's probably because he's on that computer all the time. you know, the one he used to invent the internet.

Politicians, tsk, tsk, but we gotta hold his feet to the fire, not douse the program.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:35 pm

This is old news.

I'm guessing you guys pay him so much attention because he's your ex-vice president, but this partisan bickering is getting tired.
Ian

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Sensationalism for the lose.

I like how they compare his yearly consumption to the average homes monthly consumption. They know people misremember things and the way its worded will make people remember it worse than they stated it.

Not only that but one house consuming a lot of electric is not going to make a difference in global warming, especially if his grid gets power from hydroelectric or wind.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Buddy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 am

Ah yes, the inconvenience...of it all. Has absolutely nothing to do with Bush however. It merely illustrates the hypocrisy of the liberal elite. The conservative elite have their own hypocrisies.

"Not only that but one house consuming a lot of electric is not going to make a difference in global warming,"

Doesn't it have to begin somewhere? Why shouldn't everyone take this view? Let it begin with those who piss and moan, the one's who make sensationalist movies, the one's who win awards for their pissing and moaning, and hey, let it begin with you. Or won't your house matter either?
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 am

Although I am all for the environment and animals and fauna and all that... I did think it was a bit weird that Mr. Gore received the Nobel Prize back then. But fishy folks have received the prize before... Oh, well. Would be nice if he could clean up his house and make it more earth-friendly...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:05 am

This is over a year out of date, and Gore, once it was pointed out immediately took steps to reduce energy usage at the home.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:37 am

Well, Gore did do something about it. It's not like he ignored it, once he became aware of it, and I'm sure he will do even more now, not that it matters really.

I mean, he added solar panels, installed a geothermal system, replaced existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauled his home’s windows and ductwork. That sounds like a lot of scratch to me! What more can a guy do? He probably has a full time staff working at his home and office, and would definitely need more energy than most of us poor working sods anyway. Being rich and living in a huge mansion and carrying a staff is expensive and energy intensive is it not?

Look at John McBush, he's supposedly (nowadays that he's running for president) a "green" advocate. I wonder how much electricity senior citizen McSame uses up with his SEVEN homes and other properties? I'm sure he beats out the Gore's 3 to 1. Still, Gore deserves all the accolades he's received. At least we as a nation are finally waking up to the facts that we are destroying the planet and the future for our children - like him or not, Al Gore is a big part of that awakening.

Also, this whole Al Gore and the Internet thing is so trite. I forget his exact words, but what he said he meant to say, was that he was the first to initiate funding for the networking of the public Internet (formally it was only used for the military I believe). He did not mean to say he created the Internet - that's absurd, and even moreso if people would actually believe that's what he meant.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby kreese on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 am

Yes - he did it to make money...? That makes sense.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 am

if you consider the amount of energy that al gore's message has saved, he can put a coal power plant in his backyard for all i care. he didn't get the nobel peace prize for nothing.

i have a science background and have been convinced we've been warming up the planet for as long as i can remember. and watching his movie has made me reduce my carbon footprint even more. i even stopped one of my favorite hobbies of car racing. i've stopped heating my house w/ natural gas. i use electric even though it's more cuz it's hydro power.

george bush and his "culture of life" american taliban gang are infinitely more hypocritical than al gore could possibly be.
ninepalace

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

All that really matters is how much energy I save, and I'm not as good at it as I should be. I wonder how much time AG actually spends in front of a computer anyway. ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby redmund2905 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm

steelincotton wrote: I wonder how much electricity senior citizen McSame uses up with his SEVEN homes and other properties? I'm sure he beats out the Gore's 3 to 1.

What relevance does John McCain's age have to your diatribe? Do older people necessarily use more energy than younger people? Or do you reserve that assertion for older Republicans (at 60, Al Gore is himself no spring chicken)? And your prediction about McCain's supposed energy profligacy is based entirely, as far as I can tell from your post, on wishful thinking and personal bias. Given that, why stop at accusing McCain of being three times as wasteful as Gore? Hell, as long as we're spitballing and throwing out numbers, let's double it to McCain wasting six times the energy that Gore does . . . .
redmund2905
Mingjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic