gmail vs. yahoo mail?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

gmail vs. yahoo mail?

Postby bruce on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm

which one is better? i have been using gmail for a while but it somehow deleted 6 months worth of emails totally lost (good for me i keep it backed up on apple mail ...) and last night i tried to send a 5 mb file and it would not send. for 24 hours ...

thinking of switching to yahoo. anybody use it? good-bad??????
bruce
Great Old One

Re: gmail vs. yahoo mail?

Postby chud on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm surprised that type of thing happened with gmail, did they give any explanation for why they deleted the messages? That kinda worries me, because I store a lot of stuff in my gmail account. I love how gmail threads discussions, and gives you labels and stars to mark messages.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I use Yahoo mail. I never got into the whole Gmail thing. The only drawback with Yahoo, is that you cannot attach files larger than 10MBs at a time. But I love my Yahoo mail.

Now, with Google buying Yahoo, the two email systems may merge, who knows?
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby chud on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 pm

I have pushed some very large files through gmail, that's definitely one of their perks.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm

I've been using Gmail since Nov '04 and haven't lost anything AFAIK... Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...
Also note that they ALL have a disclaimer, when you sign up, saying that they don't guarantee 100% reliable storage of your messages. (Although of course they all try very hard to keep it safe.)

One problem with Yahoo (and all other free email hosts AFAIK) is the annoying little signatures they append to your messages, like
Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/newmail/overview2/

Gmail doesn't do that.

I've used Yahoo and Hotmail for a few years before I switched to Gmail (in 2004), and I never looked back since.

Good luck...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:23 pm

i use yahoo. no problems.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby jwalker on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:06 am

Once I started using gmail I never looked bakc either. Bruce sometimes gmail will not allow you to send certain file formats (often propiety), tlthough this may be an issue with your ISP rather than gmail.
"It is statisticly possible to attack someone with your machete." - John Wang
jwalker
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic