Anyone Seen MONGOL yet ?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Anyone Seen MONGOL yet ?

Postby Mike Strong on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm

I Laaahhhhove the story of Timojen, - Ghengis Khan !

... but it's only been released in NY and LA. :P
Mike Strong

Re: Anyone Seen MONGOL yet ?

Postby kenneth delves on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Saw it in NY, loved it, some critics felt it wasnt a true story, maybe too much of a love story. I found it absorbing, well directed and well paced, the cinematography of the country incredible, the battles savage and realistic
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:01 pm

I take it it's better than "The Conqueror," which is my favorite Genghis Khan movie of all time. John Wayne played Genghis Khan. A movie where the men were men and the prose was purple.
Snow
Anjing

Postby I-mon on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Snow wrote:John Wayne played Genghis Khan.

that's right up there with Charleton Heston playing Moses, in terms of rugged awesomeness.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:47 am

Snow wrote:I take it it's better than "The Conqueror," which is my favorite Genghis Khan movie of all time. John Wayne played Genghis Khan. A movie where the men were men and the prose was purple.

I love when The Duke says something like "Take the tartar wench to my bedchamber...there to await my pleasure" in that voice of his. PRICELESS!!!

Me and my roomies BR and John would say that whenever we saw some hot chick for years. So well written! ::) ;D

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 am

i believe the reference to the arrow by his brother will be lost on most viewers.

i've been doing some research on the yaun dynasty and i'm pretty sure that it's a reference to the fact that he made sure the arrows of his warriors were shorter than that of their opponents so that they wouldn't have their own arrows reused against them.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Planning on seeing it somewhere soon....
MikeC

Postby Earth_Monkey on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Just saw it, a very interesting story to say the least. Cinemetography was nice, they did a good job of showing how tough life may have been during those times, you know it was good day when you had food or your tiny little village of 5 tents and a fire was not ravaged by roaming bandits. Would have liked to see some more time while he was actually conquering but i guess we all knew that part. I wonder how much was true that part kills me though can ANYONE verify anything like that was real long time ago.

just did some reading on wikipedia and seems that some of the early history may be true but many ? and discrepancies, you know you cant even hear what happened yesterday or last week much less 1200 or so. Would reccomend the movie more so now that the story is at least partial truth.
Last edited by Earth_Monkey on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earth_Monkey
Anjing

Postby klonk on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Here is the old version with John Wayne. (It sucks.) http://filmschatten.blogspot.com/2008/06/conqueror.html

I share the reservations of those who wonder about history, for if you look into the gaps you see a lot left out and got wrong. You know what they call people like that? Historians. :)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Snow on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:35 am

I'm sorry, Mike, for derailing your thread, but the stories about "The Conqueror" are actually pretty interesting.

The director, Dick Powell (who portrayed the best Hollywood version of Phillip Marlowe imo and was also completely adorable), had the script for "The Conqueror" on his desk and was planning to send it straight to the trashcan, according to Hollywood legend. The Duke was meeting him to talk about a different movie, spotted the script, leafed through it, and then insisted on doing it. Powell tried to talk him out of it, to no avail, and got stuck directing it because he couldn't say no to John Wayne. Unfortunately, they shot it on a location with highly radioactive soil thanks to A-bomb testing, and a humongous percentage of the people involved with the movie died of cancer, including Wayne and Powell. :-\
Snow
Anjing

Postby Mike Strong on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:56 am

You aren't derailing the thread Snow, - we're just "riffing" here:

I love The Conqueror, and anytime I run acrooss it on tv, - I'll put whatever plans I have on the backburner, and watch it .

Ghenghis Khan was, at the end of the day, I think, a very positive influence on the world. ...

... I'm not joking.

8-)
Mike Strong

Postby Chanchu on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:50 am

Did not see the movie yet, I was watching the preveiws on the web and noticed a Mongal trooper pull his bow with a
mediterranean three fingers draw- not a thumb ring. It may seem real wierd but stuff like in movies that annoys me. Like a revolver with a surpressor. A 45 acp Colt with the hammer down that fires... Seems a little knowledge in weapons would make a much better film.. funny thing is- people flying in KF movies don't bug me ;D Anyway I will see the Mongol movie when I get a chance...

http://www.atarn.org/mongolian/mongolia.htm

http://www.atarn.org/mongolian/fulldraw.gif

Atarn is a good site for Asian archery info. there is a Mongolinan police woman champ archer there who is pretty cool. used to be some clips of her on Atarn... I wish she would arrest me :D

Not so strange really for John Wayne to play the great Khan. We now know that he may have been related to him- many westerners are. As the Khan was quite the ladies man!.

http://www.atarn.org/mongolian/mongol_1.htm
Last edited by Chanchu on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:56 am

I remember seeing a photo of a Yugoslavian man' who looked straight up Mongolian, ...

... and my own Great Grandmother ( a Bohemian ) had asian features.
Mike Strong

Postby Chanchu on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 am

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/index.php

ATARN web board for those interested in Trad. Asian Archery- has info on buying bows training etc...
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 am

Chanchu wrote:http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/index.php

ATARN web board for those interested in Trad. Asian Archery- has info on buying bows training etc...

this site is sick!!!

i lub it!!!!!!!!!!
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic