The Politically Correct thought police

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Politically Correct thought police

Postby MikeC on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 am

MikeC

Re: The Politically Correct thought police

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Ugly stuff.

People just need to realize that people are gonna be shitty to each other no matter how much kum-by-ya you sing by the fireside.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Children might also 'react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying "yuk".'

That's standard kiddie practice.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Wow, people mostly still suck. Nothing new there.

I try to be compassionate with em.

S- just another monkey like all the other monkeys...I mean people...I mean genetically difuse hominid lifeforms or whatever.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:06 am

Thats really scary stuff. It remindes me of Nazi Germany making school kids do family trees so they could use that info to further purify the supreme race...
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 am

Ben wrote:Thats really scary stuff. It remindes me of Nazi Germany making school kids do family trees so they could use that info to further purify the supreme race...

Actually, this is the opposite. They probably try to correct the education that certain kids are getting home, where they are witness to racist comments.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 am

Darthwing Teorist wrote:
Ben wrote:Thats really scary stuff. It remindes me of Nazi Germany making school kids do family trees so they could use that info to further purify the supreme race...

Actually, this is the opposite. They probably try to correct the education that certain kids are getting home, where they are witness to racist comments.

Aw, c'mon, you mean that teachers should actually say something when pre-schoolers make "racist" comments? :) Ya mean you don't believe that kids should be corrected when their parents tell them that white people are devils? Where's the harm in that? Shucks, next thing you know, the gov't will be trying to convince us that Jews aren't greedy.

Strange, though, when that guy Wright said all that stuff (?) about Americans, people said he should be shunned, er that someone should have never stuck around to even hear such "racist" remarks. Or, there's that Muslim teacher who was replaced because she didn't forbid a student from wearing a tee shirt with the word "Intifada", in Arabic.

Of course, this is all a reflection of the politically correct double standard. Right?

But, clearly, 3 years old is far too young to start teaching children the difference between right and wrong. Of, maybe it just depends on what people think is right. It's a shame, but it's nothing new.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Holy feck!
I was originally agreeing with Mike on this one and then Steve James totally brought teh real.
Good post Steve
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 pm

So, Steve, - let me get this straight...

... you think that branding a 3 year old as a racist, (if they say "yuk" to the food associated with a foriegn culture) IS A GOOD AND APPROPRIATE THING ?

Are you saying that 3 year olds should be taught that not having a taste for, oh, let's say, BABBAGANUSH is a bad thing, and that they are a bad, RACIST if they can't gag down a glob of mashed, garlicy, eggplant ?

Is that what you are saying?
Last edited by Mike Strong on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Strong

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:19 pm

British Government is severely retarded in it's oppressive social policies.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Mike Strong wrote:So, Steve, - let me get this straight...

... you think that branding a 3 year old as a racist, (if they say "yuk" to the food associated with a foriegn culture) IS A GOOD AND APPROPRIATE THING ?

Are you saying that 3 year olds should be taught that not having a taste for, oh, let's say, BABBAGANUSH is a bad thing, and that they are a bad, RACIST if they can't gag down a glob of mashed, garlicy, eggplant ?

Is that what you are saying?

No, branding a 3 year old a racist wasn't what I said. I said that calling all white people devils should be corrected from infancy. What's so tough to grasp?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:19 pm

it still seems a bit extreme - I think Steve James brought up excellent points I hadn't considered at first, but when I read the part about saying 'yuck' if they don't like a flavour or smell of food I thought that was too extreme... come on... should they simply:

*sniff*...uh! *gag*...*dry vomit reflex*... *regain composure*... I'm sure many people around the world can appreciate that aroma....

if you don't like a smell or flavour, there's absolutely nothing wrong with simply disliking it.

it's a lot different than picking on someone because they're a specific ethnicity though. Can't always blame parents though... a lot of terms we learned at that age simply came from other kids in higher grades. It's like a schoolyard chant... I don't remember any of them, but they're a pervasive part of elementary schools and my kid will come home some day singing a school yard chant.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby edededed on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:24 pm

At least the objective is benign (trying to promote harmony between different cultures), even if they may take it too far.

It's a lot better than what countries like Japan do (i.e. try to stamp out differences or pretend that they don't exist, teaching kids to be as homogenous as possible (same clothes, same food, same schedule, same class, etc...))...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:02 pm

How are we suppose to get our own sense of identity if we don't set ourselves apart from the identities we don't want?

Why can't people accept that we just can't all get along and that we piss each other off with our little idiosyncrasies cultural or otherwise.

to remove yang is to take out balance.
If you have no perspective, then that is a result of imbalance.

racism exists in every niche of society. We separate ourselves from other cultural groups with startling regularity and are in competition constantly to see who has a better or more advanced civilization as a whole.

It is a double standard and it's silly. "No Like, No Want" is built in.

also, Jews aren't greedy.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:12 pm

George is back, with a different face. You know the George I mean, the meddlesome old fretful busybody who was running things in 1776. Do, kindly, look over everyone's shoulder, report anything suspicious. And there will be hell to pay if you don't!

Same tune, different dancers. Americans of the era concluded they were "well shet of them" and started throwing tea. I am not sure what happened to the famous old English backbone, now in the present day.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic