Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby origami_itto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 am

windwalker wrote:
“Wanted you to hear directly from me that despite being fully vaccinated, I have contracted Covid and am not going to be able to fight next weekend. Preparing for this comeback has been everything to me over the last months, & I want to thank everyone for their tremendous support.” De La Hoya said.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... -19-video/

We've known for a while that you can still get sick even after having the vaccine. You just aren't as likely to get AS SICK. You aren't as likely to need an ICU or intubation. But yes you can still catch a case and there's a chance you can even get other people sick and die. The vaccine offers some protection, not perfect protection, but it's the only thing offering ANY protection.

So yeah, wash your hands, wear a mask, keep your distance, and get a vaccine.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:58 am

oragami_itto wrote:
We've known for a while that you can still get sick even after having the vaccine. You just aren't as likely to get AS SICK.

You aren't as likely to need an ICU or intubation.

But yes you can still catch a case and there's a chance you can even get other people sick and die.

The vaccine offers some protection, not perfect protection, but it's the only thing offering ANY protection.

Results:
SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees had a 13.06-fold (95% CI, 8.08 to 21.11) increased risk
for breakthrough infection with the Delta variant compared to those previously
infected, when the first event (infection or vaccination) occurred during January and
February of 2021.

The increased risk was significant (P<0.001) for symptomatic
disease as well. When allowing the infection to occur at any time before vaccination
(from March 2020 to February 2021), evidence of waning natural immunity was
demonstrated, though SARS-CoV-2 naïve vaccinees had a 5.96-fold (95% CI, 4.85 to
All rights reserved. No reuse allowed without permission.

(which was not certified by peer review) is the author/funder, who has granted medRxiv a license to display the preprint in perpetuity.
medRxiv preprint doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415; this version posted August 25, 2021. The copyright holder for this preprint
7.33) increased risk for breakthrough infection and a 7.13-fold (95% CI, 5.51 to 9.21)

increased risk for symptomatic disease. SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees were also at a
greater risk for COVID-19-related-hospitalizations compared to those that were
previously infected

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

So yeah, wash your hands, wear a mask, keep your distance, and get a vaccine

CDC data also show that Americans, regardless of age group, are far more likely to die of something other than COVID-19. Even among those in the most heavily impacted age group (85 and older), only 13.3 percent of all deaths since February 2020 were due to COVID-19.

https://datavisualizations.heritage.org ... hs-by-age/

Wonder what one should do about the

"something other then COVID-19"
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:09 am

I totally missed that about De la Hoya. Not only can you catch covid after getting vaccinated; you could get sick. But, more than 99% of the time, you won't be sick enough to need hospitalization. De La Hoya is one of the 1%.

One thing it does show is that covid is a serious disease, not a political hoax. Secondly, even athletes and people in good physical condition can contract it, even after being vaccinated. They can certainly contract it if they're unvaccinated.

Well, I'm vaccinated. The wealthy people, ex-presidents, and lots of people arguing for alternatives are vaccinated. "Do as I ..."

Meanwhile, in the state where the gov't makes it illegal to mandate wearing a mask, it looks worse than last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LF-8OQXJc
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:15 am

OH, btw, the leading cause of death for law enforcement officers was covid in 2020 and 2021, so far. Google.

Coronavirus infections were the leading cause of death for police officers last year, according to reports. In 2020, 295 officers in total died, with at least 182 dying from COVID-19, according to the memorial fund.

Not terrorists, not thugs, not gang-related, not suicides: Covid. The hoax that may yet kill a million Americans.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 am

Steve James wrote:I totally missed that about De la Hoya. Not only can you catch covid after getting vaccinated; you could get sick. But, more than 99% of the time, you won't be sick enough to need hospitalization. De La Hoya is one of the 1%.

One thing it does show is that covid is a serious disease, not a political hoax. Secondly, even athletes and people in good physical condition can contract it, even after being vaccinated. They can certainly contract it if they're unvaccinated.

Well, I'm vaccinated. The wealthy people, ex-presidents, and lots of people arguing for alternatives are vaccinated. "Do as I ..."

Say, not as I do"

Wonder what they "know" that every one else does not....

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 am

Steve James wrote:OH, btw, the leading cause of death for law enforcement officers was covid in 2020 and 2021, so far. Google.

Coronavirus infections were the leading cause of death for police officers last year, according to reports. In 2020, 295 officers in total died, with at least 182 dying from COVID-19, according to the memorial fund.

Not terrorists, not thugs, not gang-related, not suicides: Covid. The hoax that may yet kill a million Americans.

According to some,

The vaccine offers some protection, not perfect protection, but it's the only thing offering ANY protection.

wonder what the vaccine is for

A total of 38 officers have been killed in the first six months of 2021.
That marks a 41 percent increase over the first six months of 2020, where 27 officers were ruled dead by homicide.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:39 am

To keep you from dying of COVID 19.

(which was not certified by peer review) is the medical research equivalent of "Hey I have been studying martial arts online for 2 years by myself and now I'm the 8th dan of the style I created"
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:44 am

oragami_itto wrote:

seem to be missing context :-\
it's ok....maybe a couple of more lock downs might make it more clear

context

That marks a 41 percent increase over the first six months of 2020, where 27 officers were ruled dead by homicide.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:49 am

windwalker wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

seem to be missing context :-\
it's ok....maybe a couple of more lock downs might make it more clear

context

Please, I'm not as smart as you, could you connect the dots for me?
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am

oragami_itto wrote:Please, I'm not as smart as you, could you connect the dots for me?

knowing your own limitations is a good start.

In time you will get it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc3VG9JZM6I
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 am

"DO" ask if they've taken hydroxychloroquine, Ivermectin, or gotten vaccinated --no matter what they say. You know what they think then.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:22 am

Steve James wrote:"DO" ask if they've taken hydroxychloroquine, Ivermectin, or gotten vaccinated --no matter what they say. You know what they think then.

must be a different party

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:27 am

To be clear, I am not anti-Ivermectin. Research in the lab has indicated that it may have some broad anti-viral effect, although the mechanism is not yet entirely clear (it appears to inhibit the virus’ importin nuclear transport proteins; and Ivermectin binding to a virus could interfere with the virus’ binding to human cells). Development of a broad spectrum anti-viral therapy could be a game changer in the battle against human infections by viruses. Unfortunately, there have not yet been rigorous trials in humans. The metadata analysis posted by BruceP shows that numerous less than satisfactory studies shows enough promise to continue the research, hopefully with well designed trials in humans. When numerous less than satisfactory study data are pooled together, it can indicate that some real effect is likely, even though none of the included individual studies is satisfactory. I expect continued research to obtain funding, but the humen trials may take time (note that the Pfizer vaccine took about a year before full FDA approval beyond the trial results that resulted in EUA). Ivermectin usage as a broad anti-viral therapy is not yet ready for prime-time.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:38 am

The point is not them. It's you. Are you vaccinated or have you taken hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin? It's simple. Lead by example. It's not political. Trump's been vaccinated and has had covid. I want what he got. And he said it was a hoax.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:45 am

Reminds me a scene in Train to Busan. Two guys trapped in a toilet. One guy looks out and sees zombies, so he closes the door. Second guy asks, "Is the coast clear?" The first guy says,"Yes. You can make it."

I won't spoil the movie.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That