james mcneil stories

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: james mcneil stories

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 pm

bigphatwong wrote:what incentive would he have to make all that shit up?

Well...

the amount of self-aggrandisement was a clear demonstration of egomania

that... ::)
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Well, that depends on your definition of egomania, self-aggrandizement etc. Does egomania = being proud of your accomplishments? And if so, where do you draw the line? It's all relative IMO.

Hey... I don't know about you, but personally, if I could summon the Invisible Swordsman and harvest watermelons with my johnson? I'd think I was the cat's ass too. ;)
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Hey Wong, I'm not judging the man - by all accounts he can kick some serious ass

But the parts I quoted are seriously wacky - like ParryPerson said

And I'm not talking about the whole "summoning spirits" thing or the "aura" stuff or any other supernatural aspects of what he claims.

I'm talking about writing a book, where you quote other people as saying "Oh man, you're the best - you're so humble, skillful, powerful, and you're the greatest person ever to walk the earth..."

The quotes he attributes to others don't sound like anything I've EVER heard anyone say out loud.

That's all - disagree if you want.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Sounds like an interesting book :)

As for being over-complimented by older Chinese gentlemen... Weeell... It does seem to me that some of the older generation over there (and maybe the youngers, too, I dunno) can range from being exceedingly complimentary ("This is the best of my students! He has the best gongfu of everybody!") to disparagingly insulting ("Ha! He doesn't have any gongfu at all, he is even worse than a beginner, he has nothing!") depending on the current relationship (mianzi, guanxi, all that) with that student at that time.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 am

For what it's worth, I've found Mcneil to be a very kind and generous guy in person. I understand why you guys say the things you do, but sometimes the knee jerk response gets a little tedious. None the less, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 am

Like I've said in other recent threads about him, I would love to learn from him. I worry about all the "spirit" references tho.
Chris Fleming

Postby xingyijuan on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:59 am

I would worry about receiving the "full transmission"! :D
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:41 am

bigphatwong wrote:Well, that depends on your definition of egomania, self-aggrandizement etc. Does egomania = being proud of your accomplishments? And if so, where do you draw the line? It's all relative IMO.

True. I have to read it but he sounds awfully proud to be such a humble person. ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:54 am

bigphatwong wrote:
Hey... I don't know about you, but personally, if I could summon the Invisible Swordsman and harvest watermelons with my johnson? I'd think I was the cat's ass too. ;)

best sentences of the thread.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 am

I just want to make it clear that is any of us had a chance to write a book about ourselves, a chance to tell the legend, a line like ''He was sent here by the gods and one day he will truly understand why.” would surely be added.

Maybe you just need to take it with a grain of salt coupled with the fact that if not taken too seriously its probably a really entertaining bit of fantasy. At the very least it begs to be quoted from many a time on EF ;D
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby madcow on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:07 am

Sifu McNeil as I recall was very modest. And if he talks about a conversation, or an event, you can trust and believe it happened as described. Im looking forward to reading the book. I wonder If he will refer to me by name, or just as 'student'...
madcow
Santi

Previous

Return to Been There Done That