So many Grandmasters appear!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: So many Grandmasters appear!

Postby yusuf on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 pm

http://www.rpfsys.com/ironhead.htm

for all your iron head traiing needs you should go to

GRANDMASTER SOKE JEROME “CURLY” HOWARD
10th Dan & Inheritor, Twelve Buddha Internal Iron Head Style
8th Dan, Hungry Fat Monkey Style
Creator, Defense Against the Double Eye Poke Technique

>:@
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Lance Burton: Master Magician (perhaps grandmaster later?)

His sleight of hand is quite good, (2:38)
http://www.wimp.com/handmagic/

direct download link of video
Michael

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:25 pm

So, if I've kept the discussion straight, the problem is two words mistranslated to become "grandmaster," da shi and si gong. Are there any other Chinese terms so used? I mean terms that when translated across the ocean and the language barrier become "grandmaster." I can't help thinking the multiplication of "grandmasters" is hurting the image of MA in the pragmatic West.

Last edited by klonk on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 am

klonk wrote:So, if I've kept the discussion straight, the problem is two words mistranslated to become "grandmaster," da shi and si gong. Are there any other Chinese terms so used? I mean terms that when translated across the ocean and the language barrier become "grandmaster."

These two are also candidates
宗師, zong-shi: ancestral teacher (dead)
師宗, shi-zong: same caracters, meaning 'founder of a system'
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 am

Okay. Thanks! What I am thinking is, there are plain English alternatives to "grandmaster" for all of those. We should be using terms like "distinguished teacher" or "senior teacher," or even "past master" if you like--equivalents that are respectful without being erroneous.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 am

When I first started posting on these boards I was often thinking (and sometimes saying) that being able to study IMA in NYC spoils me. This thread makes me feel the same way because I am having the opposite experience to the majority of you. If I look around the city there are many who do not call themselves Master who could do with a lesson from me and many called Master who could teach me a thing or two. And since they can, who am I to tell them what to call themselves?

I respect JW's opinion, but wasn't his teacher the "King of Chinese Wrestling"? I suppose there are many titles one could have issue with, but again, I'd much rather take lessons from someone with the goods called Grand Pubah than someone with no skills and plenty of humility.
Last edited by dragonprawn on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 am

I dunno what peoples experiences are. I only commented on the language and how I see it evolving.

I have only ever had 2 CMA teachers. One was YC Wong and he goes by "Sifu". I don't see why anyone needs to bother translating it at all. It's a perfect example of when importing a word from a foreign language is perfectly appropriate. My second has been my current teacher, Li Suiyin. Since we are both in China and both speak Chinese, again, no real issue here.

I am only really even aware of the "controversy" from wasting time on the internet.

bwt, "King of Chinese Wrestling" is not a title. It's a nickname. I don't think Chang Dong Sheng ever used that title himself. It's just what people called him like Benny "The Jet" Uruquidez or Bill "Superfoot" Wallace or Omar "The Bajibomber of Xi'an" Belove. ;D
Last edited by bailewen on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby dragonprawn on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:56 am

Yes, exactly. it's what others may have called him. But who cares? Call him King, call him sifu, Grandmaster. Makes no difference with a person of such skill. I guess that's my main point. But remember, I do hate hucksters and in that spirit I do see the other side of the coin.
dragonprawn
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Where's that GIF of "you can't talk to him unless you adress him as GM cultmasster Nam" on his throne with the words "Haters gone Hate" that was up a while back?

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am

I tend to ignore the title(s) but look at what the teacher can show me! Da Shr as a title may be more apt than many but in reference to Chang Dungsheng, he was called as such based on what he accomplished as opposed to the smoke and mirrors of the multitude of masters/see fuse and other taxi drivers!
I mentioned this many times befoer but even the cook, the door greeter, etc is called sifu becaus of their professional behaviour in the performance of their mundance duties.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Blackcat on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:There really is only one.....Grandmaster

What about Melle Mel?
Blackcat
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:57 pm

We need a zombie smiley for when someone resurrects a dead thread.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Blackcat on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 am

Grandmaster Sun Lu Tang, however, believed that the most important reason to practice martial arts was the improvement of one's health; developing fighting ability was merely of secondary importance.
Last edited by Blackcat on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackcat
Anjing

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 am

And a Mummy one for those who get too wrapped up in the discussion. :-)
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am

From one Grandmaster to another... No can defend. -bow-

Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That