Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

Postby kreese on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:23 am

Remember, this is the guy that could end a fight with a palm strike to the body.

Here's a nice head butt, store and release:

And here's a little taiji:

For a strong, scary dude, he still likes to avoid, or use leverage. Actually the most powerful people I've met still used maximum leverage and angle to magnify their power:

(he's not done yet, please hold your applause)

I noticed that Bas likes to use a rounded stance, kind of Chen taiji. Anderson Silva as well. No typical boxer's stance for them.

He just uses whatever weapon comes to bear once he's avoided or escaped. But he always finishes with overkill, in case you need to end it for real.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Re: Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:47 am

Just basic fighting, IMO school supplies for your first day at IMA school.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:04 am

That's very good stuff, but I think the comparison is mixing things up. We can look at:
- Techniques.
- Tactics.
- Strategy.
- Gongfu.
- Shen Fa.
- Etc.

Fact that Bas uses Tactics and Techniques found in Taiji Quan doesn't mean he uses the same Strategy and Shen Fa, etc. His overall gognfu is also vastly different.

Too often do people see one thing and say: "that's exactly the same as in that other art!". Well, it's not. Boxing and XYQ are two arts which often bring about this debate. People would compare the two to a fault. Similarity is not equality. An external appearance of something doesn't make it the same as something else which is externally similar.

So going back to Bas - first two pictures show something that looks externally IDENTICAL to Ding Dze Gong (of XYQ's Ba Dze Gong). Same teachnique and body alignment. Is it really the same? No. Distance is different. Weight distribution slightly differs. XY would also pull with the aid of gravity and lower the opponent's hands slightly, while Bas relies more on the pulling strength of his Trapezius and Posterior Deltoid (mid-back and rear-shoulder) muscles. XY will keep the spine erect so the power of the headbutt could be transferred to the ground, instead of being absorbed in the neck/mid-back regions.

Bottom line: good fighting is good fighting, but one cannot claim, based solely on external appearance, that two things are the same.

Thanks for the pics anyhow. That's a really nice video of Bas BTW :-)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Robinhood on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:06 pm

What does IMA stand for, immature macho ass, the last thing I saw bas do was when Shamrock took him out in less than one minute, he did not act so tough after that.
Robinhood

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 pm

I always like Bas' stuff. Good use of leverage - simple and works. I for one think we need more of this and less of the ability to 'manifest' ima, whatever the heck that means. Strange that nobody demands people are able to 'manifest' karate, grappling, jujitsu or wrestling....
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 pm

It's funny how almost no IMA practitioners can actually fight at this 'back-to-school basics' level. I don't think Bas could truly give a flip about which shen fa strategy he's manifesting, nor about becoming the kind of person who does. When you can kick those kind of guys' asses with one hand, it tends to alter your priorities.
Chris McKinley

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Karate, Grappling, Jujutsu, wrestling, all good stuff to bring on your first day of school, though you will have to unlearn a lot of bad habits, at least you will have a basic concept of what fighting is... well maybe not so much with Karate ;D
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Karate, Grappling, Jujutsu, wrestling, all good stuff to bring on your first day of school, though you will have to unlearn a lot of bad habits, at least you will have a basic concept of what fighting is... well maybe not so much with Karate ;D

I truly don't know whether a wrestler will need to unlearn his bad habits, or an IMA guy will need to unlearn his bad habits. ???

What kind of "bad habits" that a wrestler will need to unlearn?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 pm

This is the first day of IMA school we're talking about, it's a school of higher learning, the first thing a wrestler has to learn is not to build the bridge for a qualified IMA guy it's all he needs.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:59 pm

I guess since we're only talking about, like, three IMA guys in the whole country who could make that kind of guarantee against a trained wrestler, we don't really need to worry too much.
Chris McKinley

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

A 60 years old 8th degree black belt Judo master walked into an IMA school and want to learn IMA. A 30 years old IMA teacher asks him to start from the horse stance and "unlearn" everything.

Why can't IMA guys just open their arms and accept other non-IMA people as equal human being?
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Bagua combatives, sorry you don't believe in your art Chris, John to unlearn a lot of bad habits, does not mean to unlearn everything, it's why you should bring this stuff to class with you it will help you know what is not necessary because it's already in the syllabus or you may be able to tweak what you already have. What you get in class will make you better.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote: tweak what you already have.

That I'll agree with.

When a Karate guy walked into your school, you told him that he might mis-understand the "high block, reverse punch". He should use it as if he "raises the waist high curtain and walks in". The high block is only to "raise the curtain". The important part is to "walk in". Does that Karate guy need to unlearn everything? All he need is to know how to add Shenfa into it and make it more efficient. Just in few days, he will be able to master Pao Chuan.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Bagua combatives, sorry you don't believe in your art Chris,

You wish...you're talking out of your ass now, noob.
Chris McKinley

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:23 pm

But he still will have to unlearn the sharp angles, and the stiff or hard muscle tension, if you notice in e dry art the greater experience you have, the greater the confidence, the softer and smoother your technique, I still believe all arts move to internal as they are more and more accomplished, in the what was once rough and tumble will becomes quicker and tougher,it's still fighting. You don't feel a sharp blade cut.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That