Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

Postby kreese on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Wang Hao Da, if I remember my T'ai Ch'i M'agaz'ine, would take on anyone in the park. Just stand there and push with anyone. How many of us even have the opportunity to stand in a park and push with random gong fu people who hang out there? So do we take the effort to seek the modern and culturally appropriate version of that? Because the taiji our teachers trained is different than what they teach now, no question.

It was a sad day (at the time) when I realized that my own teacher could not teach traditionally, as his first students didn't like the traditional methods. Too hard. Too many details. No fun. What is this, the military? they probably thought, I didn't sign up for this after my long stressful day, I want something that makes me feel good!

No students, no teacher. That's business. That's fighting. You make compromises because you have to survive, and spreading a healthful version of your art is better than nothing, especially if you swore an oath to your master that you'd spread the art.

Even Vladimir Vasiliev, former Russian special forces combatives instructor had to tone it down when he moved to Canada, whereas at the beginning he would speed up the process of learning by giving his students take-home tests to ponder (bruises and pain).

Robinhood wrote:
gzregorz wrote:Wang style?

You mean Wang Hao Da?

No, Wang Xiangzhai

http://taijijourney.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... gzhai.html
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 am

'
Robinhood wrote:I started MA when I was 15,

Robinhood wrote:it took me over 20 years to find my Yoda, and that was over 16 years ago.

- Wang Xiang Zhai 王薌齋 Passed away 48 years ago.
- You said, "I started MA when I was 15. It took me over 20 years to find my Yoda, and that was over 16 years ago."

How old are you? ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yi Quan Wang Xiang Zhai (1)意拳王薌齋1885-1963

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 am, edited 8 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:34 am

Maybe it´s a style from Wang Zhe, founder of the Daoist Northern Quanzhen-school. He most likely did MA/IMA besides his qigong, shengong and still practices.

If Mr Hood trained for him he would be getting on a bit by now, but you never know.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:30 am

?? since when did wang xiang zhai do taichi? I thought he was mainly xingyi and then yiquan (when he founded it).
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Mello on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:45 am

Mello
Huajing

Postby Robinhood on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am

kreese wrote:Wang Hao Da, if I remember my T'ai Ch'i M'agaz'ine, would take on anyone in the park. Just stand there and push with anyone. How many of us even have the opportunity to stand in a park and push with random gong fu people who hang out there? So do we take the effort to seek the modern and culturally appropriate version of that? Because the taiji our teachers trained is different than what they teach now, no question.

It was a sad day (at the time) when I realized that my own teacher could not teach traditionally, as his first students didn't like the traditional methods. Too hard. Too many details. No fun. What is this, the military? they probably thought, I didn't sign up for this after my long stressful day, I want something that makes me feel good!

No students, no teacher. That's business. That's fighting. You make compromises because you have to survive, and spreading a healthful version of your art is better than nothing, especially if you swore an oath to your master that you'd spread the art.

Even Vladimir Vasiliev, former Russian special forces combatives instructor had to tone it down when he moved to Canada, whereas at the beginning he would speed up the process of learning by giving his students take-home tests to ponder (bruises and pain).

Robinhood wrote:
gzregorz wrote:Wang style?

You mean Wang Hao Da?
k

No, Wang Xiangzhai

http://taijijourney.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... gzhai.html

Yes your comment on compromises reminds me of the post about not having a teacher that is not trying to make a living from teaching ! Because they will just usually only teach stuff that keeps their class big, unless it is just health stuff without martial content. Which is really not a MA in whole, only a piece of it.
Robinhood

Postby Robinhood on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am

johnwang wrote:
'
Robinhood wrote:I started MA when I was 15,

Robinhood wrote:it took me over 20 years to find my Yoda, and that was over 16 years ago.

- Wang Xiang Zhai 王薌齋 Passed away 48 years ago.
- You said, "I started MA when I was 15. It took me over 20 years to find my Yoda, and that was over 16 years ago."

How old are you? ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yi Quan Wang Xiang Zhai (1)意拳王薌齋1885-1963

John, you really need to reading the posts, not take words here and there and turn it into something else, are you a Jahova Witness by chance ?

I did not say I learned directly from Wang, I said the internal method was from his line of practitioners.

I don't hold to only one style, styles are just methods of developing yourself through using different tools, the end results should all end up at the same place.

If you build a house, are people going to dwell on what kind of hammer you used, maybe , but the goal is to build the house. Use the hammer that you are comfortable with. It the beginning I would probably use a big framing hammer, but as I got toward finishing the house the hammer would change to a finish hammer. ( if you have ever done any construction you will know what the analogy means) Same thing applies to MA.
Robinhood

Postby Robinhood on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 am

Daniel wrote:Maybe it´s a style from Wang Zhe, founder of the Daoist Northern Quanzhen-school. He most likely did MA/IMA besides his qigong, shengong and still practices.

If Mr Hood trained for him he would be getting on a bit by now, but you never know.

D.

Maybe he is the "Highlander" or an "Immortal"
Robinhood

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 am

There can be only one.......at a time, at least. Can you hurry it up a bit, Robin? We've got other troll tryouts patiently waiting their turn to audition offstage and you've been prancing about in the spotlight for a while now.
Chris McKinley

Postby Patrick on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 am

the end results should all end up at the same place

Only true if you mean this as extremly general, e.g. to be able to beat someone up.
Otherwise IMHO this statement is a symptom of the IMA arrogance sickness. :P

Who is your yi quan teacher?
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 am

He has no teacher and he didn't even k ow it was Yiquan until you told him. It's all google Fu.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:50 am

So the only real question may be which Bullshido lurker is he IRL?
Chris McKinley

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:08 pm

-lol-

@@@

D.

Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Robinhood on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 pm

paranoidandroid wrote:
the end results should all end up at the same place

Only true if you mean this as extremly general, e.g. to be able to beat someone up.
Otherwise IMHO this statement is a symptom of the IMA arrogance sickness. :P

Who is your yi quan teacher?

I think you are mis reading something into it, it is more like " be all you can be", if the other guy is better than you he will beat you up, don't worry about the other guy, worry more about what you are doing.

Don't worry about teacher this or teacher that, keep your eye on the big picture, what are you building.
Robinhood

Postby Patrick on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Ah thank you very much. This changes everything again.

http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That