Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Some IMA Applications from Bas Rutten

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:
Bagua combatives, sorry you don't believe in your art Chris,

You wish...you're talking out of your ass now, noob.

Im okay with it ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeah, me too.
Chris McKinley

Postby Robinhood on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:45 pm

But he still will have to unlearn the sharp angles, and the stiff or hard muscle tension, if you notice in e dry art the greater experience you have, the greater the confidence, the softer and smoother your technique, I still believe all arts move to internal as they are more and more accomplished, in the what was once rough and tumble will becomes quicker and tougher,it's still fighting. You don't feel a sharp blade cut.

Yes I aggree,!

A 60 years old 8th degree black belt Judo master walked into an IMA school and want to learn IMA. A 30 years old IMA teacher asks him to start from the horse stance and "unlearn" everything.

Why can't IMA guys just open their arms and accept other non-IMA people as equal human being?

Its not that you have to forget it, it is like tasteting a new food, if you mouth still have the old food in it you will not be able to fully taste the new food, you can choose what ever food you want later ,but at least you know the difference.
Robinhood

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:01 pm

I think what John was getting at was the absurdity of the fact that this 60 year old Judo master could dust this IMA chimp on a bad day without breaking a sweat and yet he was arrogant enough to demand that the Judo guy "unlearn" his stuff instead of the other way around.
Chris McKinley

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Besides striking, I don't think an IMA master can teach a Judo master anything that he hasn't already known. Use minimum effort to achieve the maximum result, Tinjing, borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, sink, Sung, ... The wrestling mat is the best place to learn, to swim in the thin air is not.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 pm

I think John knows that all authentic ICMA has some throwing art in it, if you have a true handle on what you do, then you know how to deal with this aspect, and the judo master will have to learn this before he will even try to recognize that heat have some habits to change. But first you have to have an open mind to expand your horizons.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Leishen on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 pm

A 60 years old 8th degree black belt Judo master walked into an IMA school and want to learn IMA

This statement says a lot then for the value of the IMA, don't you thing?
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Be funny if it worked that way in real life. The truth is that there's maybe a dozen IMA practitioners in the U.S. who could even give a Judo master a decent fight to begin with, nevermind that are good enough to justify asking him to unlearn his stuff to adopt theirs.
Chris McKinley

Postby Leishen on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 pm

No disagreement here, however not every Judoka because of a lifetime of tatami sport fighting and many trophies, has a real life experience for fighting though.
I guess that there are good and bad examples in both "roads"...
Last edited by Leishen on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby Mello on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:45 pm

But more bad examples on one
Mello
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Hey, how about we stop this inane circular discussion and watch a video of Bas' Tai Chi form?

Hmmm.... he seems quite application-heavy....

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah, it would be a textbook false equivalency to suggest that were anywhere near as many long-time Judoka who can't fight compared to long-time IMA people who can't.
Chris McKinley

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Quite clear Bas loves the fine art of kickass
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Leishen on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes, fair enough. It took me nearly 24 years to find the IMA Sifu and the family who I believe has the goods. There are very few of them out there.

However, how come we are talking these things in an IMA forum, training in IMA?
From what I gather here it would be a nice advice for someone to say, "hey, let's all train Judo then", which I don't think this is the case here. And I am sure that before our decision to take the IMA's training, most of us have had our time with other more external or sport oriented disciplines in the past.
It seems that we may have found something mopre tangible and complete in the CIMA. No?
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:31 pm

johnwang wrote:A 60 years old 8th degree black belt Judo master walked into an IMA school and want to learn IMA. A 30 years old IMA teacher asks him to start from the horse stance and "unlearn" everything.

Why can't IMA guys just open their arms and accept other non-IMA people as equal human being?

from my limited understanding the path ima travels upon is wide, open and easy. maybe we can consider the possibility that some use too much brutish dead force and so push themselves away from the ima path.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That