ignoring evidence

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

ignoring evidence

Postby beegs on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 am

when it come to politics here, everyone researches and comes up with all sorts of debates on evidence presented

but when it comes to neijia and fighting, and comparing to todays fighters, everyone argues and ignores evidence and only resort to bringing up legends and stories of people from the past.

in order for one to fix a problem, one must admit their is a problem to begin with. ;)
Last edited by beegs on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Re: ignoring evidence

Postby charles on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:17 am

beegs wrote:in order for one to fix a problem, one must admit their is a problem to begin with. ;)

The vast majority of neijia practitioners are practicing for health, not fighting ability. For those people, the fact that few can't effectively fight with it is irrelevant. Most teachers cater to this demand. It isn't a problem.

There are lots of practitioners who say, "Yeah, I want to be able to use this stuff to fight", but few are willing to train it as is necessary to reach that goal - even with the proper instruction. The problem, I believe, is less with the instruction and more with the fantasy/wishful thinking of many a practitioner. For most, it appears to be exercise with an academic /philosophic twist. It is so much more fun to practice to trigrams, 8 energies, blah, blah, blah, then it is to, for example, just to do reps in a gym. And, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as no one misrepresents it as something it ain't.

For the relatively few who REALLY want to be able to effectively fight with it, most of what is being taught as "internal martial arts" is largely irrelevant to developing fighting abilities. The few who REALLY want to use it to fight, find teachers who can teach them to do that, albeit it isn't easy to do so with such a low signal to noise ratio. The problem exists only for a relatively few.

my two cents worth.
Last edited by charles on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 am

http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby beegs on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 am

i agree with most of what your saying.

problem is that alot of people who arent training realistic fighting, think that they are.

i have no problem accepting people training for health, people dont need to train fighting, i think the people who discuss the fighting and feel the need to compare to todays fighters, are really in the dark.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Sean on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 am

So what is "realistic fighting"? How do you define it?
Ritualized combat? Sport combat? Unforeseen violent encounter? Military combat? Arresting and controlling by LEOs? High school scrap?
Different objectives require different training.

Also, it's worth noting that there seems to be a sort of "placebo" effect with training a martial art/system, even if you're not training it in an entirely "realistic" way. One British study showed that victims of violent crime who trained just a few simple combat movements for a short period of time were no longer identified as victims by potential assailants due to gains in confidence which translated into better posture.

In other words, if you think your a badass and you walk down the street like a badass, your less of a target for violent crime.
Doesn't mean your a good fighter, of course.
Sean
Wuji

Postby beegs on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:01 pm

it doesnt matter how you define it at this point, more the point ois that even in the past, the masters who trained for non sport also publically had matches at times to compare skills.

that doesnt happen today, no matter what the objectives , people still need to train under some sort of pressure and agression and we dont even see that in neijia arts evn in training (generally speaking)
beegs
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:10 am

I noticed with some of the taichi crowd ( forutnatelly there are a lot of exceptions:))- there exists only 2 stages sometimes :) 1. not high level enough so my taichi is useless 2. got gigh level - its too deadly to demonstrate in sparring now.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 am

Lack of evidence in the affirmative does not equate to evidence for the negative. Furthermore, evidence has to apply directly to the question at hand, and in most cases it's just not available one way or the other. Mostly, it all comes down to faith, and when was the last time you changed someone else's faith-based beliefs?
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

lack of evidence in the affirmative does not equate to evidence for the negative. Furthermore, evidence has to apply directly to the question at hand, and in most cases it's just not available one way or the other. Mostly, it all comes down to faith, and when was the last time you changed someone else's faith-based beliefs?

hers some of the evidence we do see

theirs plenty more vids to find, but you wont find one with the opposite result. I think that is evidence enough to acknowledge that once formidable arts are falling by the wayside . Past neijia masters did things in public with positive outcomes in realtion to testing their skills against other arts, what we see now is the complete opposite for many years
beegs
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:35 am

these are people that obviously do not spar enough.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 am

Someone who can't keep their hands in front of their face is a master?
Michael

Postby beegs on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Someone who can't keep their hands in front of their face is a master?

unfortunatley many masters never had a fight, you can even master body skills and forms and push hands but have no clue of fighting

this one is funny, drunken kung fu
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 pm

its very strange how one calls oneself a master but cannot throw a proper straight punch in a real fight.
AND propose to teach students kung fu... it's amazing
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Strange wrote:its very strange how one calls oneself a master but cannot throw a proper straight punch in a real fight.
AND propose to teach students kung fu... it's amazing

Is it really all that uncommon? There's no vetting process. Folks can just hang a shingle without any real quality control.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Sometime it is best to leave well alone! One just cannot tell pepole they are misled so just let the good times roll!
It's all good!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That