Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Bill wrote:
Steve James wrote:Ha ha ha. Some joke (specially the reference to shining shoes). Wonder where it came from, anyway:

:) Naw, Goodfellas has nothing to do with Kaepernick. Shining shoes was once considered an appropriate occupation that didn't pay millions of dollars. So much so that some people used to be called "shine." It was an attempt to be derogatory, but it was just envy --especially during the Depression. Telling Kaep to shine shoes is just a way of saying "get in your place."

But, if you're sticking with Goodfellas reference, go for it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:15 pm

I got this from an mma forum where that actors son is a regular poster, so I took it as a movie reference. You took it as a rip on Kaepernik. The shine box reference would make it a racist insult which was never my intent.
I hope you understand that.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Yeah, Bill, I definitely don't think you posted it to be racist or because you're bigoted. I can only say that the person who created the meme that connected Kaepernick to shoe-shining either knew or didn't know the "stay in your place" connotation. It's not racist, since lots of the kids in my nabe had shoe shine boxes. If the person who created it knew the connotation, then I don't take offense as much as think it's not funny.

At any rate, thanks for explaining your intentions.:) They can easily be misunderstood on the internet. I certainly believe you, fwiw.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 pm

I will never understand why Republicans get outraged over Warren claiming be part first nations people. I thought racism was over because we once had one black president.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm

It's been said she profited off of her 'false' racial identification.

If a sandwich is 63 parts shit and 1 part ham, it's not a ham sandwich.
Last edited by Bill on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am

Well, my point is that they shouldn't make fun of the Indian aspect. Sure, say she's a White woman passing for Red --if she got a grant dedicated to people with native ancestry. I have seen that happen. But, it's the natives who were/are the victims and who should be pissed off with Warren. I betcha they have some choice Indian names for her. (Though, for some of them, a "Pocahontas" might be the equivalent of calling a Black person "Tom." :)

PS. Up until the early 1900s, claiming some native ancestry was a way of showing how long one's family had been in the country. There are, btw, people who are descendants of Pocahontas living today. However, those claims dried up after "Jim Crow" segregation was okayed by the Supreme Court. The Plessy decision complicated racial classification because he was 90% White, but was forced to ride in the back of the bus because he was considered Black. The problem was that any admixture (i.e., the so-called "one drop" rule) meant the difference in where one could work, play, pray, go to school, etc. Consequently, no one in the South who wanted to be considered White would ever admit to having a non-White ancestor.

Remember Obama, was he White or Black? Was it a matter of percentage? :) Now, if Warren starts giving herself a native name (which might be a real joke, actually), then I'll laugh along with everyone else.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:44 am

windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:09 pm

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:52 pm

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:31 am

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 am

Watch "Caravan Cold Open - SNL" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/kG7szS15O8Q
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That