Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Yes egg in hair is a greater level of violence than two straight punches to the face and six Nazis choking you out.

But, I bet he still thinks it was worth it. ...No, I'm not advocating "political violence." Though, egging someone --as a way of showing one's disapproval of a political opinion (granted an opinion about a vicious mass murder) is something better to encourage than the alternative of using mass murder to make a point.

So much for "moral relativism," but what would you rather have happen to you? How should we respond to "political violence" if it includes egging? Of course, if the penalty is the same for all forms, then it won't stop it. Instead, offenders would feel that there's no point in half measures. Why not throw a shoe or a rock or a bullet. They're all the same. No? Well, I think it's dangerous to equate egging with assassination. Ymmv.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm

be nice to mikey... prolly jus a little bit autistic :-*

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:54 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Michael wrote:Image

I mean, you post this, but your opinions never stray from a certain tribe's party line. Self reflection is important.

We live in a country with a binary political system, which doesn't leave much room for nuance. So even if you have a variety of viewpoints, you basically have to choose sides, which makes you look like a star-belly finch to all the godless plain belly's, even if you agree with them on 0-99% of topics (when you're a single-issue voter).

My views on a lot of issues adjust the more I discuss them with people who allow a reasonable space to figure things out. But I am reactionary when people tell me to, "STFU wayciss."
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Yes egg in hair is a greater level of violence than two straight punches to the face and six Nazis choking you out.

You've got a keen eye. I hadn't even noticed the Nazi RNC being used. BTW, why are you so familiar with Nazi choke holds? Are you a...? :D
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Steve James wrote:
Yes egg in hair is a greater level of violence than two straight punches to the face and six Nazis choking you out.

But, I bet he still thinks it was worth it. ...No, I'm not advocating "political violence." Though, egging someone --as a way of showing one's disapproval of a political opinion (granted an opinion about a vicious mass murder) is something better to encourage than the alternative of using mass murder to make a point.

So much for "moral relativism," but what would you rather have happen to you? How should we respond to "political violence" if it includes egging? Of course, if the penalty is the same for all forms, then it won't stop it. Instead, offenders would feel that there's no point in half measures. Why not throw a shoe or a rock or a bullet. They're all the same. No? Well, I think it's dangerous to equate egging with assassination. Ymmv.

That's basically my point, that there is an extreme over-reaction to normal political viewpoints, such that you literally get jumped, egged, sucker punched, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIMt9JxugQ

This was outside a Trump rally in 2016 in San Jose when the police forced people from the rally to run a gauntlet of hecklers and violence, all while the police did nothing to keep order.

San Jose: Judge won’t throw out Trump supporters’ negligence suit over rally melee
Michael

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Michael wrote:That's basically my point, that there is an extreme over-reaction to normal political viewpoints, such that you literally get jumped, egged, sucker punched, etc.

If you think that "Those Muslims wouldn't have been shot if they'd stayed in their own country" is a normal political viewpoint, you have serious psychological problems.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Michael wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Yes egg in hair is a greater level of violence than two straight punches to the face and six Nazis choking you out.

You've got a keen eye. I hadn't even noticed the Nazi RNC being used. BTW, why are you so familiar with Nazi choke holds? Are you a...? :D

No, the Senator in question is a literal, self-confessed, Neo-Nazi. Just like Neil Erikson who is one of the thugs choking the kid.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:53 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Michael wrote:That's basically my point, that there is an extreme over-reaction to normal political viewpoints, such that you literally get jumped, egged, sucker punched, etc.

If you think that "Those Muslims wouldn't have been shot if they'd stayed in their own country" is a normal political viewpoint, you have serious psychological problems.

I guess you'll never know if you don't ask. But no, I don't think that.

It's quite possible someone thinks that and doesn't have psychological problems, tho, and is still a good person. Tomorrow they might think better of it and change their mind. Most people are okay like that.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:52 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Michael wrote:

No, the Senator in question is a literal, self-confessed, Neo-Nazi. Just like Neil Erikson who is one of the thugs choking the kid.

That's fine, I know nothing about him, not here to defend his opinions, but I would love any kind of source on that because yeah, I would be surprised if there were a self-identifying neo-nazi in the Oz parliament.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:01 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pm

This is the joke thread, right?

It's quite possible someone thinks that and doesn't have psychological problems, tho, and is still a good person.

Such a person could even be elected president. If he said such things about Christians, he could still be a good person. He could even be a Muslim, no?

At least egg boy had a target, and didn't spray the room with gunfire.

I would be surprised if there were a self-identifying neo-nazi in the Oz parliament.

That's true now. Australia just banned Nazis from coming.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D1B13C1
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 pm

This is the joke thread, right?

Definitely.

That's true now. Australia just banned Nazis from coming.

Che Guevara shirts banned next week?
Last edited by Michael on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That