Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby meeks on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Michael wrote:
I'm sure there are many who consider themselves liberals, but who disagree with some of the latest goals of the Democratic party, such as reparations for slavery, guaranteed income for those unwilling to work, or a ban on all fossil fuels within 12 years.

yet another mislabel applied to perpetuate misinformation. "Guaranteed income for those unwilling to work" is so far off the mark. It's a universal basic income provided to everyone.
On top of that the majority of people who are out of work are not.out of work by choice. Things happen (injury, illness, layoffs...) so let's not say "run away from returning some of our taxes to those that actually paid it!" by calling it a hand out for those we prejudge as undeserving.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 am

This is what conservatives believe, also that the GND means you have to drink your pee.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 am

I don't think most Democrats are into all of it [reparations] right now, but things are moving along quickly.

Right. But, you'll argue that Democrats want these things anyway, though. That's a classic fear tactic.

So, say Catholics are being threatened by liberals, just omit that 90% of Mexicans are Catholic. Nobody's going after them because of their religion or ethnic identity, though. Obviously the president is doing all he can for their protection because he cares for them as Catholics. Oh, this isn't a straw man; it's satire. I don't have to make up things that he's said about them.

You brought up reparations, and the implicit concern that somehow white people will end up giving black people money because of something that ended 150 years ago. Well they're right. There's no reason that a white person, like Trump, whose ancestors arrived after the Civil War should have to pay money to someone who's ancestors have been here since before George Washington. I mean. The slave trade ended by 1809. There were no more mass importations of black peoples until West Indians started arriving.

I'd resent it too if I were asked to pay reparations for something I had no part in. But, that's the practical word: "pay." American money is American money. It's all green and it comes from taxes that we (i.e. USAmericans) pay. Any monetary reparation I could get, as if it could be calculated, would come out my tax dollars anyway.

I have other reasons, but frankly, for me "It's just not about the f-ing money." Kidnap, rape, and murder of one's ancestors cannot be translated into dollars and cents, no matter how much. Money caused a problem it can't solve. Providing everyone here now with medical care would be a more viable option.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:27 pm

meeks wrote:
Michael wrote:
I'm sure there are many who consider themselves liberals, but who disagree with some of the latest goals of the Democratic party, such as reparations for slavery, guaranteed income for those unwilling to work, or a ban on all fossil fuels within 12 years.

yet another mislabel applied to perpetuate misinformation. "Guaranteed income for those unwilling to work" is so far off the mark. It's a universal basic income provided to everyone.
On top of that the majority of people who are out of work are not.out of work by choice. Things happen (injury, illness, layoffs...) so let's not say "run away from returning some of our taxes to those that actually paid it!" by calling it a hand out for those we prejudge as undeserving.

Have you read the Green New Deal? I suggest you read it and then argue with AOC about her verbage. This is what she says, verbatim. It is not mislabeled, but maybe the way you describe it is the real intention of her program and the real intentions of the Democratic candidates for president.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 pm

No Steve, the liberals and the Democrats brought up reparations, and you asked me about those groups. Because you are so poorly informed on the topics you choose to discuss on RSF, I informed you of their most recent policies and gave you specific examples. All the rest is your strawmen about who said what first and it is absurdly dishonest.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Michael

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Proponents of the Green New Deal: reasonable and kind-hearted people.

Noted opponents: Donald Trump, Sabastian Gorka, and Michael Udel.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Who do you think would be unwilling to work? Are you afraid that nobody would want to work if there were a guaranteed income? Do you think that just Democrats and Liberals are lazy.?

Anyway, I tried to get to the Green New Deal FAQ, but couldn't. I researched it and found that the FAQ wasn't voted on by Democrats at all. There was a Resolution that was passed, true. So, what did I find? What is the difference between the FAQ and the Resolution? Well, here's the text of the actual resolution. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/08/he ... io-cortez/

I couldn't find "unwilling to work" anywhere on the document. Maybe others will be able to use ctrl-f better. I did find this

8. guaranteeing a job with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement security to all people of the United States;

Obviously, Democrats and Liberals would benefit most from that item. Right? Cause dem are lazy, lazy, lazy. Oh well, the difference between the resolution and the fact was observed by those who bothered to read it.

Another way to look at the situation, though, is that the FAQ is essentially just a list of points that Ocasio-Cortez and her office lost on while negotiating the resolution with Markey. Most of the things that raised an uproar on Twitter—like wiping out America’s flatulent steer population—were not included in the resolution, after all. If you keep that in mind, the side-documents look more like an attempt to save face with left-wing activists, a promise that Ocasio-Cortez will keep fighting for their priorities even if the vast majority of Democrats won’t ever embrace them. As Markey suggested, the resolution is canon; the FAQs are fanfic. And if you think the most important thing about this week’s resolution was the fact that other Democrats embraced it, then Ocasio-Cortez’s personal priorities are less important than what actually appeared on the page. After all, she can’t tweet bills into law.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:15 pm

But drinking your pee will totally be required by law.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Steve James wrote:Who do you think would be unwilling to work? Are you afraid that nobody would want to work if there were a guaranteed income? Do you think that just Democrats and Liberals are lazy.?

You asked me about liberals and conservatives. I gave you some examples of each. The three from the GND that I listed are not my policies, but as I have already said, I think they're controversial and that a lot of Democrats will be surprised by them.

I'm going to pass on your questions because at this point, I think you may have been replaced by a Macedonian content farmer.

Anyway, I tried to get to the Green New Deal FAQ, but couldn't.

I included the link in my post. You quoted the link. It is still right there. You just click on it with your mouse pointer and away you go. Even Macedonian content farmers can do this. :P
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

oragami_itto wrote:But drinking your pee will totally be required by law.

In this completely authentic screen shot from the GND, the answer is yes.

Michael

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 am

Michael wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:But drinking your pee will totally be required by law.

In this completely authentic screen shot from the GND, the answer is yes.

This is what conservatives actually believe.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm

It's even funnier than that. AOC fumbled the release of her documents, one of her advisers mistakenly repudiated one of the versions on prime time TV, and then AOC incorrectly accused skeptics of mistakenly believing that Mark Dice's joke edits, similar to the one I just posted above, were what was causing the fuss. It was all projection from start to finish.

So it's not this...

It's this...

Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That