Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am

Steve, I think this is a girl transitioning to a boy and is therefore on steroids (IINM). I get the part about getting better, but if these are kids getting scouted for scholarships, that's not fair. If someone wants to make that decision, I obviously don't have a problem with it, but this is one area where self-sacrifices will need to be made.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Steve, I think this is a girl transitioning to a boy and is therefore on steroids (IINM). I get the part about getting better, but if these are kids getting scouted for scholarships, that's not fair. If someone wants to make that decision, I obviously don't have a problem with it, but this is one area where self-sacrifices will need to be made.

When it comes to scholarships, it's the school that should decide. I didn't hear about the specific case except that it was "boy (?) beats girl." The transitioning issue is too complex for me. But, the steroids, imo, should prohibit the athlete's participation.

I think girls and boys should compete against each other from the beginning. Arbitrarily, once they're pubescent, then the gender/sex divisions can start -just like weight divisions.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 am

Steve James wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Steve, I think this is a girl transitioning to a boy and is therefore on steroids (IINM). I get the part about getting better, but if these are kids getting scouted for scholarships, that's not fair. If someone wants to make that decision, I obviously don't have a problem with it, but this is one area where self-sacrifices will need to be made.

When it comes to scholarships, it's the school that should decide. I didn't hear about the specific case except that it was "boy (?) beats girl." The transitioning issue is too complex for me. But, the steroids, imo, should prohibit the athlete's participation.

I think girls and boys should compete against each other from the beginning. Arbitrarily, once they're pubescent, then the gender/sex divisions can start -just like weight divisions.

Btw, a movie will be on Netflix about a girl who joined the boy's wrestling team. I think it's called "First Match," and it comes out in a week. If she's allowed, does that mean that boys should be allowed to do the same? Maybe there should just be a belt system. Rousey's (as just one example) has a black belt; and, iinm, there's not a different ranking system for women. Wasnt't there a famous female judoka who passed away not too long ago? At any rate, with rankings, only issues of weight classifications would matter.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Bill wrote:Image

The draft dodger has balls?

That is called trumpion logic.

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 am

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 am

Late reply to Steve, probably will get lost in the shuffle but that's fine.

Maybe there should just be a belt system. Rousey's (as just one example) has a black belt; and, iinm, there's not a different ranking system for women. Wasnt't there a famous female judoka who passed away not too long ago? At any rate, with rankings, only issues of weight classifications would matter.

Yes, Keiko Fukuda of the SF Bay Area passed not long ago. 10th dan and the only female ever to achieve that rank. But, belts don't make equal players. Judo is segregated and that's a good thing (once they are out of the kiddie pools, as you rightly mentioned).

When I was competing in college I got to do some heavy randori with a female world champ and silver medalist Japanese judoka who weighed about as much as me. I could take her. I think I was just a freshly minted shodan, or maybe not even that. Because strangulations are legal from preteens and up, and elbow and shoulder locks are allowed in black belt pools, it's already dangerous enough. I don't really remember any shiai where someone didn't either get something broken or get choked out for too long. The application and release of kansetsuwaza in judo is very different from BJJ. It goes on very fast, very hard, and you don't stop until the ref stops you--this is generally a bit too late.

I don't have a major issue with women competing against men if they know what's up, but the other way around seems unfair.

Also, the Kodokan has a separate women's division and their black belts had a white stripe through them. Very interesting.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:03 am

Karma is a bitch!

Flynn selling house to pay legal bills in Trump probe

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/flynn-selling ... ories.html
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:09 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Late reply to Steve, probably will get lost in the shuffle but that's fine.

Maybe there should just be a belt system. Rousey's (as just one example) has a black belt; and, iinm, there's not a different ranking system for women. Wasnt't there a famous female judoka who passed away not too long ago? At any rate, with rankings, only issues of weight classifications would matter.

Yes, Keiko Fukuda of the SF Bay Area passed not long ago. 10th dan and the only female ever to achieve that rank. But, belts don't make equal players. Judo is segregated and that's a good thing (once they are out of the kiddie pools, as you rightly mentioned).

When I was competing in college I got to do some heavy randori with a female world champ and silver medalist Japanese judoka who weighed about as much as me. I could take her. I think I was just a freshly minted shodan, or maybe not even that. Because strangulations are legal from preteens and up, and elbow and shoulder locks are allowed in black belt pools, it's already dangerous enough. I don't really remember any shiai where someone didn't either get something broken or get choked out for too long. The application and release of kansetsuwaza in judo is very different from BJJ. It goes on very fast, very hard, and you don't stop until the ref stops you--this is generally a bit too late.

I don't have a major issue with women competing against men if they know what's up, but the other way around seems unfair.

Also, the Kodokan has a separate women's division and their black belts had a white stripe through them. Very interesting.

Thanks for the reply Ian.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:58 am

grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That