Kiai master against MMA

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Kiai master against MMA

Postby gzregorz on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Show me any evidence of any of this working in a genuine challenge, otherwise let's let sleeping dogs lie.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I have been lifted onto my toes without my teacher touching me while sparring with him. Yea I did it to myself but when you are in the moment it really doesn't matter how you got to such a disadvantageous position. I reacted that way because of his strong intent, my reaction allowed him to easily hit me. Keep in mind that he wasn't firing chi balls or anything, he just moved in with such position, timing, and intent that my reaction was automatic. I don't think this is the same thing you see in most LKJ demos though.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0DNMElas8

If I remember you once mentioned that you practiced wu style? your right,,,lets let the dogs sleep....
windwalker
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:32 pm

So since I do the Wu I have to back and believe that everything that Wu people do is 100% effective in a real fight?

What? When you do a style our join a group you have give up thinking?

There are a lot of people, things and variations in my style that I don't subscribe too.

Again I've felt some no touch stuff, but in every situation I've seen it work it was a teacher doing it to a student who wanted to feel it and in some situations the student wanted to give the teacher "big face" (in both the West and East).

Do I believe that somewhere in the world it is possible? Yes, perhaps it is but I don't believe such things can be passed on to multiple students, otherwise Dan Docherty would have had a difficult time pouring that glass of water on that no touch master's head.

Entertaining video by the way.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 am

My mistake,,,I wont post anymore on this..

no one does not give up critical thinking when following a teacher or style...but I would say that one should pay attention to one of its leading exponents and maybe even reflect on some of what they said or did during their lives...you asked for proof,,,I posted something that came from a leading exponent of your style, if you practice wu....weather you chose to believe or follow is up to you....

all I have said, is that much of the underling ideas and principles for this work is included in many IMA practices . Weather one can find it, approach it or achieves anything with it is up to oneself...

what happened to some teacher, has little to do with ones own practice,,,as there are other cases not documented where things happened that would not believed, yet we do not hear of them because they would not be believed. But still people come and practice it because, they feel something different at work this would even include some who have fought, and are where considered to be fighters. What ever path one chooses is up to them and fate,,,,

regarding face:
what you say is true but can also be said of any demo,,,or any teacher student relation ship,,,nothing unique to IMA

yep,,,better to let the dogs sleep,,,,,later
windwalker
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am

I don't do the Beijing style. But regardless, what I asked for was a video of no touch being used in a challenge.

I can also post similar vids of my teacher's teacher doing similar things late on life, but I myself and my teacher don't see it as something very useful to learn. Yet if I see evidence to the contrary perhaps someday I'll change my mind, until then I stand by my statements.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby HaraldH on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:38 am

For me it's a fact that this clips highlights the dangers of self-delusion (yes, in a very entertaining way) . Good to watch both for entertainment and education - that's why I had to post it ...

BTW, it's not just the MA guys who can act silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaIq9o1H1yo
HaraldH
Anjing

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 am

gzregorz wrote:Show me any evidence of any of this working in a genuine challenge, otherwise let's let sleeping dogs lie.

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, no touch takedown.

Yes it works!

But as Mikhail Ryabko says, [paraphrasing] "if you don't have real skills to back it up, your work will be blown apart by reality." ;D
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 am

..."Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at UFC 148The official time of the TKO was at the 1:55 mark of the second round...."

as you can read Ian, there was right hand and flurry of strikes on the ground...
so
video or didn`t happen :)

no arguing with the ..."real skills to back it up,..." :D
for me "kiai" is the kind of personal "spice" which you may a d d more power to the technique,
but Kiai alone has no power for make really significant damage to the opponent
however
I suppose, that somewhere in "n" universes we have multi kiai masters crowd...
we are just shadows of them :-* ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 am

wiesiek wrote:..."Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at UFC 148The official time of the TKO was at the 1:55 mark of the second round...."

as you can read Ian, there was right hand and flurry of strikes on the ground...
so
video or didn`t happen :)

Sorry Wiesiek, I don't know what you're quoting.. but if I remember correctly, it was a spinning back elbow/fist by Sonnen, which Silva ducked, and Sonnen basically threw himself. And then knee to the face against the fence, strikes, TKO.

I can't find video at the moment.

I remember other fights where guys throw themselves e.g. against Ramon Dekkers.

But it's not something the fighters look for, it happens by accident. I think the concept can be trained so it happens more often, but of course, to try doing this as your opening move or main technique is a bit crazy :)
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:45 am

I quoted from article about the fight .
didn`t sow the fight
I just Google "Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at UFC 148 "

been throw by excess of your own power isn`t so rare in the tournaments fights,
we are all train not to use it and catch/use such opportunity if came out in the fight, isn`t it?
but
use Kiai is the different beast I think...
best
:)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am

But as Mikhail Ryabko says, [paraphrasing] "if you don't have real skills to back it up, your work will be blown apart by reality." ;D

That I can agree with.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Blackcat on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Grandmaster Sun Lu Tang, however, believed that the most important reason to practice martial arts was the improvement of one's health; developing fighting ability was merely of secondary importance.
Last edited by Blackcat on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackcat
Anjing

Postby Leishen on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 pm

windwalker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0DNMElas8

If I remember you once mentioned that you practiced wu style? your right,,,lets let the dogs sleep....

Since I train in this lineage, the Teacher of my teacher doesn't demonstrate what you think it is.
The last thing master Wang Peisheng would show in a video is ling kong jing things.....
He is\was one of the most respected teachers, one of the last of his kind, so it makes me very sad that you post his clip as an example for ling kong jin :( .
What you show in it, it may be many other things, not what you think it is though.
Leishen
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 am

Leishen wrote:
windwalker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0DNMElas8

Since I train in this lineage, the Teacher of my teacher doesn't demonstrate what you think it is.
The last thing master Wang Peisheng would show in a video is ling kong jing things.....
He is\was one of the most respected teachers, one of the last of his kind, so it makes me very sad that you post his clip as an example for ling kong jin :( .
What you show in it, it may be many other things, not what you think it is though.

So what is it? An acting class?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That