10 reasons NOT to enter most amateur fighting events.

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

10 reasons NOT to enter most amateur fighting events.

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 am

So many of you know I like to relay upcoming fight events, but I also have a hard time promoting fight events if they have sketchy stuff like the following:

10. Often the promoters do not have your interests at large.
9. you have 2 fights and get matched up with a 20+ fight experienced opponent/full time teacher.
8. you do not get paid for many of the local event fights, just some glory and a medal/trophy.
7. often the gloves, headgear and other mandatory equipment they make you use is sub-standard.
6. you enter a kung fu fight tournament only to find your opponent doesn’t do Kung fu, he straight up Muay Thai or American kick boxing.
5. The officials at your san shou event are all qualified to judge Muay Thai.
4. The schools that bring large amounts of cheering students get the upper hand in scoring for their fighters. The coaches who are friends of promoter get upper hand in choosing the match-ups/scoring.
3. The dangers of fighting in a event that does not have EMT personnel on-site.
2. Officials allowing a punch drunk fighter to continue.
1. No PED drug testing of fighters. Obvious roid-raging of fighters.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: 10 reasons NOT to enter most amateur fighting events.

Postby Ba-men on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am

OMG! Nailed it!
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:29 pm

i do not see why this got moved to "been there done that". these are real safety concerns for choosing a fight event.

which admin moved this?
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Dr.Rob on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 pm

that was brilliant. I am not an admin. I moved nothing
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

Another common occurrence is for judges and referees to blatantly ignore the established, published rules for the fights by awarding match victories to fighters who defeat their opponents using illegal techniques and tactics, rather than immediately disqualifying such fighters. :-\

Of course, it's needless to say that politics, money and personal associations of judges and referees with the teachers and coaches of the fighters in question is NEVER an issue! :o ;D
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Taichiturtle on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 am

*lol* I had a mate who entered a push hands competition, where he was immediately put into this category with everybody else who did not train in the school of the teacher who ran the tournament. He won it, but was not recognised as the 'champion' - the other divions winner was.
Taichiturtle
Huajing

Return to Been There Done That