taiji lecture

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

taiji lecture

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:24 pm

sometimes people watch things and comment without really understanding what they'er seeing
this teacher gives some very detailed explanations for what many people dismiss.
even if one can not understand Chinese or can only understand even a little bit, the lecture is quite good IMO
and brings to light many things seen but maybe not so well understood.
windwalker
Wuji

Re: taiji lecture

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 am

There's many, many hours of material from this chap lying around on youku and 56.com. He is extremely generous and gives away everything he knows about chinese medicin and neigong. But from what I have seen, this clip on triangular patterns is the most practical and useful part from a tai chi/IMA perspective. To sum it briefly: It's about arranging the lines of movement, pressure and leverage in triangular patterns. Three point connection with an opponent is a natural triangle. A two, or even one point connection can become connected as a stable triangle, and used as such, through the alignment with the opponent.

From my own personal experience, the hardest part is really to keep the integrity of the triangular patterns as you move. This way of arrangement and it's structural integrity needs to be kept completely intact in movement. For some methods, there's a precision of movement of subtle movement and change that demands that the practitioner allready has a great foundation, a great balance and understanding of moving with structure. It looks very easy to do, but it's not.

There are some teachers who like this very intellectual approach, but sadly there are not many who can really both demonstrate these things and explain them in a very commonsensical manner. Then because some things takes a whole lot of explanation, teachers prefer to speak about "using qi" or "connecting with the opponent's yi". The good stuff is usually not given away on seminars like this, but kept for indoor students = i.e., the students who allready spent years of "eating bitter" and are now ready to understand the physics of their art in a more intellectual and philosophical manner. There's no secrets, and quite on the contrary, these methods are really extremely practical. But as other people might enjoy the material on a purely intellectual level, they still won't understand how to use it. For being able to use and understand it practically, you need to allready have a foundation, being able to use your body with a certain consciousness and precision of movement.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 am

thanks for the write up :) , very condensed to the point.
., the students who already spent years of "eating bitter" and are now ready to understand the physics of their art in a more intellectual and philosophical manner.

had to smile at this, my own teacher is old school. His way is to practice something until one can do it, only then can they really say that they understand it.
my chinese is quite limited, instead of asking of being able to ask about things directly I had to practice them until I could do it,
and then figure out what it was that I was doing. I would ask the older students about my thoughts on things, like the idea of the triangle, they often would say " yes that's correct" and fill some details. Listening to them, in my my mind I would be thinking
"hello, would have been nice to know this a couple of yrs back :-\ "
Three point connection with an opponent is a natural triangle. A two, or even one point connection can become connected as a stable triangle, and used as such, through the alignment with the opponent.

we use one point connections, with the other point being created by the mind. In a sense the mind connection is the most important point. The idea of no Li, ( strength or tension at the contact point) allows the mind intent to be quite strong at the non physical contact point, the other 2 points being made up from the bodies or bodies / ground relationship. Not to easy to get, takes a lot of practice to make it a natural way of doing things.
From my own personal experience, the hardest part is really to keep the integrity of the triangular patterns as you move. This way of arrangement and it's structural integrity needs to be kept completely intact in movement. For some methods, there's a precision of movement of subtle movement and change that demands that the practitioner allready has a great foundation, a great balance and understanding of moving with structure. It looks very easy to do, but it's not.
yes not easy, takes a while to get it, even after being shown the how and why
This teacher was very kind in sharing his insights, power of the web :)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:47 am

windwalker wrote: Listening to them, in my my mind I would be thinking
"hello, would have been nice to know this a couple of yrs back :-\ "

Ha, ha, ha, TIFC! :D ;D
Michael

Return to Been There Done That