New (regulatory?) Wushu Sports Body in Canada

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

New (regulatory?) Wushu Sports Body in Canada

Postby Appledog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:13 am

Hello everyone, this probably belongs in BTDT, but I've started a GoFundMe for what I call the CWF -- the "Canadian Wushu Foundation". It's located at https://www.gofundme.com/manage/canadia ... oundation/ and I am going to be blogging about it on my blog (tsukino.ca) for the next little while.

Before I begin I'd like to let you know I've set aside nearly $100,000 Canadian which will be put towards this project. I am doing my part to ensure this will happen, given time, but it is my hope that by sounding this beacon call any other interested parties will be forced to show their hands, so to speak, and hopefully join and work together.

Because of the massive financial requirement this should be, and will be a closely scrutinized project. What I can tell you right now is that it will soon be represented by a federally incorporated Canadian corporation, which means (long and short) I will be legally bound by the corporation's mission statement to act solely in the interests of completing that mission statement. I.E. I will be legally accountable for actually doing what I say I am going to do here.

I think it's high time to push on this already, back in 2015 I launched a corporation with a similar goal but (long story) our lawyer and accountant were boneheads. So I learned a lot and this time I think things will go a lot better in that regard, I've been speaking with some lawyers in the 'Peg regarding this on and off this past year -- things look good to go, so long as we can ensure continuing operations (but I am going to try and not talk about money all the time).

Anyways I'd just like to put this here in the most unobtrusive place possible yet where people are sure to see it and also feel free to start attacking it and slinging mud everywhere. That's fair.

That being said this is going to play into the recent discussion into regulating qigong, and possibly tai chi and wushu. You can better believe we would lobby the government (for the good guys) if we could, or act as some sort of regulatory body, i.e. to be in such a position should the need arise, to ensure no funny politics (which I have grown to hate, watching various US-based organizations come and go, and various Canadian organizations trip up all over each other, neutering themselves in the process, so as not to offend anyone. Wee.) However it should be understood that the organization itself will be style-agnostic and will not house any in-house instructors or teachers but instead plans to hire various well-known teachers locally or from across Canada as the need arises.

I think a good way of describing this project is creating a martial arts college in Canada or perhaps even a throwback to the early martial arts organizations such as the tiyuhui or jingwu men who wanted to promote and teach martial arts. I think even having elements of a 'martial arts temple' approach, would work here.

In closing I would also point out I spent many years volunteering in various well-known martial arts organizations in Canada and the US, and have all the relevant experience teaching, judging, business and financial that might be needed to start something like this. Of course, I am more than willing to accept help and I am not planning on doing this solo but will try to build a small group (board of directors) of qualified people. Anyone here is welcome to join of course, providing you have what it takes (which primarily means you "care", i.e. "want to", other qualifications are of course important but everyone can bring something different to the table).

Open to all ideas and insults,

Appledog
Last edited by Appledog on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Huajing

Re: New (regulatory?) Wushu Sports Body in Canada

Postby edededed on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 am

It's a challenge.

Due to breadth, it is kind of like setting up an "any kind of visual art related to China" body in Canada.
So calligraphy, painting, paper folding, paper cutting, fabric dying, etc. would all be subject to it.

What is the objective?
And who is in scope? ("Wushu" = modern competition wushu?)

In China, a common idiom is "adding legs to a snake."
edededed
Great Old One

Re: New (regulatory?) Wushu Sports Body in Canada

Postby Appledog on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 pm

edededed wrote:It's a challenge.

Due to breadth, it is kind of like setting up an "any kind of visual art related to China" body in Canada.
So calligraphy, painting, paper folding, paper cutting, fabric dying, etc. would all be subject to it.

What is the objective?
And who is in scope? ("Wushu" = modern competition wushu?)

In China, a common idiom is "adding legs to a snake."

1. Its kind of like a martial arts school
The objective will be carefully worded into a legal document by a lawyer that binds the operation of such a 'company' to a very limited scope: to support and promote traditional Chinese martial arts (and what that means from a legal perspective). One aspect of the organization would be a school, where people could come to learn martial arts. Instructors from the area would be hired to provide ongoing instruction. At the same time, members could rent practice space cheaply from this organization. I'm aware of the economics of such a thing, think squash courts for example. People in cold climates will pay to get into such kinds of spaces during the winter.

The fact is, that sometimes depending on where people live it is very difficult to find quality instruction. Also, a lot of good teachers often can't teach for not having money to run a location. This will solve both problems by offering good teachers a space (and a number of willing students to teach) in exchange for some of the tuition fees. A lot of schools do this.

2. The Wushu Problem
Now lets discuss the wushu (kuoshu/etc) problem. The problem with deciding what other martial arts to teach and support is the problem that no such martial art exists on it's own as a separate and objective idea. Except, possibly, wushu -- because it's spread across the world in a way that even Kuoshu hasn't. The problem with wushu and kuoshu however is that it is generally nothing more than a performance sport by design (but, not by name nor by intention of it's practitioners, at least largely in america). Thus calling it wushu or kung fu or martial arts aside, we need to deal with arts as if they were objective bodies to themselves -- which isn't really true. Supporting Wu Taiji or Yang taiji specifically would often just mean giving money to the Wu and Yang families, literally, which isn't directly the goal of this organization. Thus, falling back to level 2, it could mean giving money or promotion to certain schools or organizations, which can also get too political.

A way around this is to deal in "wushu" -- i.e. lets say we want to teach "tai chi" -- within our organization tai chi is a thing in and of itself. There could be wushu forms of it, yang long forms of it, wu square forms of it, sun style forms of it, old and new forms of it, the point being that no one really 'owns it'. So Wushu provides an interesting out "for the most part" in a lot of politics and side-taking that I don't want to be a part of. What is taught is just lessons, there is no discipleship here -- except, unless you consider that the introductions and social relationships formed might lead to that. But that isn't our concern.

So anyways later if we want to teach "Preying Mantis" we don't need to be a big name in the preying mantis field. We just hire someone to run a workshop series. This is a thing in the martial arts world these days, apparently.

3. Tournament Activities
That aside, we would also promote kungfu and martial arts in general by organizing cultural exhibits locally and across the provinces (and later, states). We would encourage the development of local tournaments which feed into regional and national tournaments. The key to understanding this is, dollar for dollar we will be one of the best ways to promote martial arts in Canada and the USA, and also one of the best resources for learning it. When I say promote, I am not sure you have an idea of what I am talking about. People are going to know about us. Without being annoying about it, tournament write ups and positive user experiences will be published in every major martial arts magazine and even some of the smaller ones. Like, tongren or.. hanwei. For example :) just saying.

4. Adding legs to a snake
I look at it differently. If we can help people then we are doing a good thing. Look at the Tai Chi community in Canada and the USA and tell me -- yes there are some bright stars there, but in general it needs a swift kick in the arse. People are being cheated and lied to and I don't think that's right. How to fix it, is to lead by example. That is what this is. We need to work harder and show people what can be done. I am sure that when people see the fireworks they will naturally want to stop and watch.

Another way of describing it is to give spotlight to the people who deserve it. I'm sure we can all come up with a list of names of people who deserve more success in the martial arts world, contrasted with those who have made their own success. I think it would be a great idea to give promotion to new and up and coming martial artists who clearly deserve it.

5. Who decides
Who decides? The local schools. Whoever wants to participate. Once we get about halfway through funding we can go public as a paper and pencil organization and start soliciting membership and perhaps publishing a small e-journal. The people who are there will be 'on board'. Therefore they can be 'on the board'. It's democratic in that anyone can be there. People will have a chance to get involved on a local level at least, so no one would be able to say it was unfair or one-sided. The judges and deciders and voters, of course, would all be people from local schools (as is usual in tournaments). There will be plenty of space for people to get involved. I am sure many schools will jump at the chance for the promotion being a part of this will provide.

6. Existing Sports Bodies
A lot of schools will already be a member of various organizations and many of these schools will depend on their allegiance to that organization in critical ways and may not even be allowed to join other organizations. This isn't going to be a problem because we aren't aiming to replace any organization. I am confident that our plan help us deal in a positive way with this situation. Generally we aim to bring new things to the community and therefore I think we will be compatible, so to speak.

7. This is really happening
Our organization increased in net value by approx. $1900 this month.

At this rate it will still be about 15 years before we reach our goal. I hope that more people see the value in this, want to get involved, and do so any way they can. 15 years.... too long...
Last edited by Appledog on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Appledog
Huajing

Return to Been There Done That