Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Chinese wear masks all the time, and it started there. Masks can't hurt, but I think the reason S. Korea and Japan fought the virus more successfully had to do with more factors. Testing and tracking have to come first. Why? Because we find out that the virus is there after many people have already gotten infected. Somebody goes to the hospital in bad shape. Nobody knows it's the coronavirus until he's tested for it specifically. Once detected, that patient's contacts have to be traced. Even the people who treated him have to be tested --because no one knew they were dealing with covid19 or even knew what it was.

I agree that if everyone wore a mask correctly, it would lower the spread of all infectious diseases (non-venereal, of course). The problem is that even the n95 mask manufacturers say that they should be discarded after use. If you wear one, and someone sneezes on you, the virus is on the mask. Throw it away.

At this point, fwiw, my main argument against the mask argument is that it seems to be an attempt to get things back to normal while the epidemic is ongoing. I.e., if a mask is on, then it's safe to get close to people. That's 100% true for health care workers and people who must come into contact with lots of people daily. It's not true for me. They've asked me to stay inside to help slow the spread. I only go out to shop and ride my bike. Fwiw, I think I will start wearing a mask in the supermarket --but, just to make the clerks feel more at ease.

Oh, that's a partial lie. I did laundry in the building laundry room this morning. Everybody in the building is wearing masks, but I let my neighbor take the elevator before me. She was wearing a mask. In the laundry room, another neighbor was wearing an n95. But, I took my dust mask out and put it on in the room. I carefully put it on, didn't touch it, took it off when I finished and washed my hands. I should throw it away, but then I'd have to buy more. If I really bought enough, I'd be taking them away from people who really need them. I don't need to be out.

But, hey, it's too late for this time. Otoh, it's guaranteed that this epidemic will save lives because people start washing their hands --like they were supposed to all along -- and getting their vaccinations. You know that next year everyone will want a shot of the covid 19 vaccine. :) Wearing masks might become a habit, but would you hug someone with a mask on?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Estimates of actual death toll in Wuhan based on urn sales and rates of cremation are 40x what is reported.

Personally, I think that's still low, but I'm just guessing based on 70 years of CCP covering up deaths from calamities they created.

Estimates Show Wuhan Death Toll Far Higher Than Official Figure
Michael

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:04 am

Michael wrote:Estimates of actual death toll in Wuhan based on urn sales and rates of cremation are 40x what is reported.

Personally, I think that's still low, but I'm just guessing based on 70 years of CCP covering up deaths from calamities they created.

Estimates Show Wuhan Death Toll Far Higher Than Official Figure

Oh please, not this again. ::)

Free Radio Asia is owned by the US government.

Here is what they write:
"Social media users have been doing some basic math to figure out their daily capacity, while the news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.
Some social media posts have estimated that all seven funeral homes in Wuhan are handing out 3,500 urns every day in total."

This "3500 a day" comes from one (1) picture with 3500 urns.

And if you read Time:
Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500 urns on both Wednesday and Thursday, according to Chinese media outlet Caixin. Another picture published by Caixin showed 3,500 urns stacked on the ground inside. It’s unclear how many of the urns had been filled.

And then there is a problem about what the exact official figures are because different sources write different things!

Japan Times:
There were 56,007 cremations in Wuhan in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to data from the city’s civil affairs agency. The number of cremations was 1,583 higher than those in the fourth quarter of 2018 and 2,231 higher than the fourth quarter of 2017.

Bloomberg:
There were 13,856 cremations in Wuhan in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to Bloomberg calculations based on data from the city’s civil affairs agency. That was 2,419 lower than in the fourth quarter of 2018.

ALL of the figures are completely different. We don't even know how different sources count the figures. What figures? From where?

IMO, if the differences were so great, we would all know about it and have very good, reliable facts. First, WHO has access to everything, we would know from their sources. Second, and again, Chinese social media is very advanced and people keep track of each other. We should know.

So how great the real figures are, I don't know and I don't care about it. But what I am completely convinced about is that there is a very strong anti-chinese campaign going on. So it's better to not listen to everything and to check the sources very well before making judgment in either direction.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:18 am

everything wrote:https://www.maskssavelives.org/?fbclid=IwAR3eajUxwRE8v3uLsxjMoTz6t0oKGx_gyrV9UM8hC47G6ox3JDDSv-u4Jnk

5th grade students good at math should understand this graphic.

the rest of the article is similarly clear and simple and will likely change your mind for the better on this topic.

question is whether we can actually listen to this advice in "the West". I really doubt it...

There were other factors at play. The graph is misleading.

the CDC specifically not recommending them for healthy people trying to protect against COVID-19. “It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19.

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 am

windwalker wrote:
Xi didn’t actually admit that the coronavirus now devastating large swaths of China had escaped from one of the country’s bioresearch labs. But the very next day, evidence emerged suggesting that this is exactly what happened, as the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology released a new directive titled: “Instructions on strengthening biosecurity management in microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus.”

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy- ... rom-a-lab/

a data point

It turns out that in all of China there is only one such lab, the New York Post wrote. “And this one is located in the Chinese city of Wuhan that just happens to be . . . the epicenter of the epidemic.”

"evidence" a strong word., coincidence maybe?

some reports if true

“As the pandemic that began in Wuhan forced countries worldwide to go into lockdown, a Mail on Sunday correspondent yesterday watched as thousands of customers flocked to a sprawling indoor market in Guilin, south-west China,” The Daily Mail reported.

“One source says that: ‘the markets have gone back to operating in exactly the same way as they did before coronavirus’ despite the outbreaks links to bats,” The Mail reported.
. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... -pandemic/

@trick..or anyone close -..any truth to the story that the markets are still open

first:
microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus
yes there are more than one, so this statement by NY post is false or call it fake news
turns out that in all of China there is only one such lab, the New York Post wrote.
about open markets i can for now only talk for huainan where i live, i know of one such, about two years ago the local government cleaned that up and put up harsher regulations for the vendors, its still quite clean so i guess the government does regular checkups. and in these last two years a couple of mew big modern supermarkets has come to the city and costumers seem to prefer them more and more.....back in dalian where i lived for ten years i seen the same progress. dalian an "seafood" city still has its markets but they are usually smaller.....never seen any bats being sold, silk-worms but no bats......didnt both ozzy osbourne and alice cooper chew on bats on stage back in the days ? 8-)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks for the update.
People eat many strange things all over the world.

first:
microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus
yes there are more than one, so this statement by NY post is false or call it fake news

Do you mean there is no lab there, or that there is more than one lab that does this kind of work.

It seems that China has had accidents in the past in Beijing with labs like these.
Accidents happen.

It would be good to know the origin point of this virus.
And understand how it was able to spread so quickly.

In Taiwan one of the reasons they were able to mitigate it was because they had a very early heads up about what was happening and took action.

They tried to warn the agencies responsible for alerting the world WHO, according to news reports were ignored.
The food and drug administration has given the OK to some of the therapies that seem to be working.
Hopefully what is anecdotal proves out to be true.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:57 am

@“g”

The mask thing is a little confusing, apparently it can prevent transmission of the virus if you’re sick but not stop it from those not wearing one who are.

Was wondering if you considered a full face shield, while making deliveries.
Non-permeable gloves. The kind we used to wear for NBC drills I think you may have trained with them

probably a must.

Ones that can be disinfected before and after use.

Anyway be well, stay safe. Many people appreciate the job that you and other delivery people do.

In this time of stress it’s good to know the team is out there.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 am

bio safety level 4 there seem to be only one, but there are other labs in china reserching avian viruses. bio safteblevel 4 labs are only to be found in eight other countries part from china...sweden is one of those i just found out, located in solna a quick subway ride from downtown stockholm.......why do they seem to locate such places so near big populated areas ?
Trick

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:24 am

Trick wrote:bio safety level 4 there seem to be only one, but there are other labs in china reserching avian viruses. bio safteblevel 4 labs are only to be found in eight other countries part from china...sweden is one of those i just found out, located in solna a quick subway ride from downtown stockholm.......why do they seem to locate such places so near big populated areas ?

Totally 100% agree seems stupid.

Best of luck
Be safe
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

so
lets face the truth:
famous covid, which turning up side down our word - is less deadly then "classic" flu.

time for basic lawyers question: " cui bono"?
Last edited by wiesiek on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 am

Probably this guy trying to normalize mask wearing.

Michael

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am

wiesiek wrote:so
lets face the truth:
famous covid, which turning up side down our word - is less deadly then "classic" flu.

Remains to be seen.

Seems to be more contagious,
does not always show symptoms in those affected.
Best case is to considered everybody Infected and take the necessary precautions
until a vaccine is developed

The mortality Index will drop as
the infected numbers grow.

Other past viruses were much more deadly

With those viruses if you had it you knew it,
transmission of them not as easy.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:03 am

Once upon time
Sufi met plague on his way from Baghdad,
Where you`re goin`? , Sufi asked
to Baghdad
what for ?
to kill 5000 peoples.
On his way back , Sufi met plague again.
I heard, that 55 000 die in Baghdad, you`re liar!
Nope
I kiled 5 000, 50 000 was scare to death!
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 am

Michael wrote:

Probably this guy trying to normalize mask wearing.

lolol

the thing is, this thing has made me germophobic in general.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 am

Another asinine post that was deleted from Twitter for being misleading about a cure but didn't make headlines...

Last edited by meeks on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That