Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby everything on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:50 pm

New England Journal of Medicine on the leadership failures
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2029812
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:37 pm

why are us cases rising?

They're rising pretty much everywhere (even Sweden) because the virus is spreading ((:). It's rising in places that were hit hard earlier. I mean countries and states that locked down then reopened are having to lock down again. It could be because the virus has mutated.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Here in “my” city Autumn really came along now during the ‘mid autumn festival’ it’s long pants and jacket on from now..many of my wife’s students has got a cold but nothing bad, they still getting around as usual and as I’ve seen hospitals her are at their usual pace....still haven’t seen the first wave yet, hope it stays away
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:12 am

Hey, when Darwin wrote about the survival of the fittest, he didn't mean the strongest or most intelligent. The fittest were those who were able to adapt and not die. Humans have the advantage of being able to change. If you haven't gotten the virus or covid19 yet, there's no certainty that you won't. What are the people in your city doing. That's what 'll have an effect, and should determine your behavior.

Hey, Putin says they have a vaccine (Sputnik) that he's ready to distribute worldwide. Yet, the Donald got Regeneron, and is saying that he's going to make it free for everyone. Yay. Well, it is made from harvested embryos. Does anyone know how many embryos it takes?

Still, if fewer people contract the virus, far less Regeneron will be needed. Anyway, I'm sure that the stocks of the pharma companies that produce these drugs are going up after the presidential plug. It's a good thing he followed his doctors at WR, and didn't do what he'd advised publicly earlier. Ok, there will still be some hcq promoters like that Nigerian doctor (remember her)? We can at least agree it wasn't the treatment he got. We should take his advice, though, and trust the doctors treating patients.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 am

. Hey, when Darwin wrote about the survival of the fittest, he didn't mean the strongest or most intelligent. The fittest were those who were able to adapt and not die.
but that do mean strongest or/and most Intelogent.....but not necessarily strongest in brute muscle strength or highest IO alone
. If you haven't gotten the virus or covid19 yet, there's no certainty that you won't. What are the people in your city doing. That's what 'll have an effect, and should determine your behavior.
maybe the whole city got it already, I don’t know people moving about including me as usual, have been so for a while now..I do know hospitals here has not been busier than usual despite the global pandemic...hope it will continue to be as usual or even better
Last edited by Trick on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:35 am

Nope about Darwin.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:56 am

yeah. no.

"fit" in the sense that Darwin used it has nothing at all to do with "physical fitness". More like, "these clothes fit well".

The most famous example from his own writings was probably his observation about the size of bird beaks on different islands. There was absolutely no argument that bigger OR smaller beaks were better. It depended on the types of nuts on a given island. The beaks that were more "fit" to the sizes and shapes of the local nuts were the ones favored by natural selection.

Natural selection could, depending on the environment, select specifically for physically weaker people. From my personal observation, native peoples in mountainous terrain tend to be really short and people from the plains tend to be tall. What is more "fit"? Short or tall?
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:11 am

Steve James wrote:
Hey, Putin says they have a vaccine (Sputnik) that he's ready to distribute worldwide. Yet, the Donald got Regeneron, and is saying that he's going to make it free for everyone. Yay. Well, it is made from harvested embryos. Does anyone know how many embryos it takes?

None
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 am

Even with treatment, some people will get sick and die from the coronavirus, no matter how intelligent or strong they are.
One solution would be to infect mostly everyone with a mild case of the virus first.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:05 am

Steve James wrote:Nope about Darwin.

yes, i actually dont know darwin and everything he said and wrote, and hes dead and gone for quite long, his ideas might not be up to date too ?..so ill do my own interpretation of whats strength especially when it comes to virus threats ....
Trick

Postby meeks on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:31 am

Steve James wrote:Even with treatment, some people will get sick and die from the coronavirus, no matter how intelligent or strong they are.
One solution would be to infect mostly everyone with a mild case of the virus first.

I agree. weed out the weak ones that can't survive a mild case. the human race doesn't need that weak strain of human genome. a good way to ensure surviving a deadly virus is to let it kill those that can't survive. and then, 2-3 months later, those that survived, their natural antibodies will have diminished, so we'll have to continue to re-infect them.

::)

point is, we have no idea who is susceptible to it as far as being able to recover from it
Last edited by meeks on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:38 am

Trick wrote:
Steve James wrote:Nope about Darwin.

yes, i actually dont know darwin and everything he said and wrote, and hes dead and gone for quite long, his ideas might not be up to date too ?..so ill do my own interpretation of whats strength especially when it comes to virus threats ....

Risk assessment

Due to the nature of this virus the typical approach has been turned backwards.
Many people are asymptomatic or not in the high risk groups are being asked to take measures to protect those that are not,
affecting their abilities to work and live. Many of the measures undertaken in the US do not have a coherent application.
People understanding being affected tend to question it

Policy suggestions put forth by leading epidemiologist, Suggest a better approach would be to focus on those groups that are high risk most Vulnerable
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:52 am

Actually, that's what a vaccine does, aopt a "herd immunity" obtained by "natural selection." I was just trying to connect the Darwin stuff with our present pandemic.

You're right, we have no idea of what a mild dose is. In fact, it's likely that some people will get sick or have a bad reaction to any vaccine, and there will be some for which no vaccine will work. Fortunately, our ability to adapt allows us to create treatments. Unfortunately, politics often gets in the way.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:16 am

I think the later phases of vaccine studies are currently primarily done with vulnerable populations (front line workers who are far more exposed but not necessarily in a higher age/pre-existing condition group).
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That