Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 pm

LaoDan wrote:
Michael wrote:You think the Chinese quarantines were successful? Based on what, how many people were starved to death while welded into their apartments?

I have not seen any information about Chinese starvation while being confined in their apartments. Could you supply links to this information (or is this just hyperbole)?

On earlier topics:

The early recommendations, when masks were not recommended, were probably formulated on the idea that, based on transmission information from other viral strains, it was likely that only symptomatic individuals would be likely to spread the virus (and wearing masks when not actually sick could spur panic, drain resources from those who really needed them like healthcare workers or high risk individuals, etc.). But recommendations changed when evidence indicated that there was a possibility of significant asymptomatic community spread for the COVID virus.

But the idea that science should be ignored, because the initial recommendations were later changed (or that nobody REALLY knows, or that there is no definitive PROOF...), appears to just be attempts to find “loopholes” that will allow people to go against the current recommendations. I think that that would be unwise. If one is really being objective, then they should try to understand the REASONS for changes in the scientific study conclusions and recommendations. Evaluation of science should not be just about picking which conclusions support one’s desires while ignoring or attempting to discredit science itself, or at least those conclusions that do not support one’s desires. I doubt that those who criticize science really understand the scientific method.

We do not have sufficient data to make definitive conclusions, and the recommendations must therefore change when new data and analyses become available. This, as well as political considerations, financial concerns, and other factors that are not directly health related, contributes to the wide variety of approaches different leaders take to address the pandemic.

I think that we should rely on scientists during a health crisis, rather than on political desires. Science itself is not just justifying what one desires (there are both Republican and Democratic scientists in the USA, and it is typically difficult to know which is which just through reading their studies). Scientists expect there to be challenges to their studies and conclusions, and they typically welcome new results that change the understanding of the subject under investigation. Unfortunately, the need for speedy information on this potentially dangerous, and rapidly spreading, pandemic has lead to rapid dissemination of preliminary conclusions that often have not gone through rigorous peer review for rigor or validity or worthiness...(all of which take time), therefore leading to less reliable information that needs to be reevaluated once more data is collected and analyzed.

We should do as much as we can to obtain additional data so that policies are based on more and more reliable information. That is why many scientists state that we do not really know many things at this time. We need more testing to obtain more reliable data. Until we have a better idea of how this novel virus behaves, one should be cautious (though to what degree is, of course, debatable).

Personally, I think that LIFE is a prerequisite for “liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” and that therefore life should take precedence, during this health pandemic, over things like “freedom” (especially when freedoms endanger other peoples’ lives), making money, etc.

The obvious rationality of this response is refreshing.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:22 pm

A new book that talks about this culture of denial (notice that the same people who don't want to wear masks also deny climate change?)

Corporations faced with proof that they are hurting people or the planet have a long history of denying evidence, blaming victims, complaining of witch hunts, attacking their critics’ motives, and otherwise rationalizing their harmful activities. Denial campaigns have let corporations continue dangerous practices that cause widespread suffering, death, and environmental destruction. And, by undermining social trust in science and government, corporate denial has made it harder for our democracy to function.

Barbara Freese, an environmental attorney, confronted corporate denial years ago when cross-examining coal industry witnesses who were disputing the science of climate change. She set out to discover how far from reality corporate denial had led society in the past and what damage it had done.

Her resulting, deeply-researched book is an epic tour through eight campaigns of denial waged by industries defending the slave trade, radium consumption, unsafe cars, leaded gasoline, ozone-destroying chemicals, tobacco, the investment products that caused the financial crisis, and the fossil fuels destabilizing our climate. Some of the denials are appalling (slave ships are festive). Some are absurd (nicotine is not addictive). Some are dangerously comforting (natural systems prevent ozone depletion). Together they reveal much about the group dynamics of delusion and deception.

Industrial-Strength Denial delves into the larger social dramas surrounding these denials, including how people outside the industries fought back using evidence and the tools of democracy. It also explores what it is about the corporation itself that reliably promotes such denial, drawing on psychological research into how cognition and morality are altered by tribalism, power, conflict, anonymity, social norms, market ideology, and of course, money. Industrial-Strength Denial warns that the corporate form gives people tremendous power to inadvertently cause harm while making it especially hard for them to recognize and feel responsible for that harm.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Stren ... 120&sr=8-1

Interview

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uoxbp5VdkSI?t=1111[/youtube]
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Where did this fantasy come from about Chinese folks being locked in their homes to starve to death?

Oh right...Twitter...so I guess it must be true.

Man it's shit like this that has made the US the laughing stock of the planet right now.

Who the hell even even denied there were widespread quarantines in China? What a weird conspiracy. Even Chinese state media was talking about quarantine. I have a bunch of co-workers who were quarantined in their apartment complexes. But they didn't starve. They had fresh produce delivered to their homes daily. Have inlaws who were quarantined. Same thing. Every day, there were folks asking them if they needed anything, eggs, veggies, pork bellies or whatever.

Meanwhile, 50 new cases in Beijing and Beijing is on lockdown again. I just watched a CNBC video just now calling it a "resurgent second wave". Meanwhile, 2,700 new cases in Florida and the US media is debating if they should call it a "wave" or an "uptick" or just a continuation of the initial wave.

I swear to god maybe there really is something to all that fluoride in the water cuz Merican's be cray cray.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

So, you are saying Texas is under quarantine?

Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:40 pm

LaoDan wrote:
Michael wrote:You think the Chinese quarantines were successful? Based on what, how many people were starved to death while welded into their apartments?

I have not seen any information about Chinese starvation while being confined in their apartments. Could you supply links to this information (or is this just hyperbole)?

On page 92 I posted some short vids of it, earlier on this page on p. 93 those links were quoted/repeated.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Where did this fantasy come from about Chinese folks being locked in their homes to starve to death?

Bizarre, isn’t it? People always want to be as negative as possible regarding China.

When they locked down Wuhan, they took in 40.000 personnel for medical care and similar. Other nearby provinces took care of providing Wuhan with food and necessities. No one I know about was locked inside their homes, they could go out and get what they needed. They were provided with everything. The Chinese government made all of the medical care and testing completely free, no cost for the citizens. As soon they fell ill or had fever they could take a test. They were encouraged to seek medical care and advice as soon as possible. The people felt safe and secure because they could trust the government to take good care of them.

But I guess that the West will never acknowledge how incredibly well and efficient China handled the breakout. Rumors, lies and propaganda will always be the biggest voice.

...And the most capitalist countries handled this the worst... And they won’t do better the next time when an even more dangerous virus causes a pandemic...
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:08 pm

This alone makes the threats posed by the COVID virus ones to be taken seriously. We have already had over 116,000 in the USA when only less than 1% of the population has yet been confirmed to have caught the virus. That means that 99% of us are likely to still be vulnerable.

LaoDan, I agree with pretty much everything you've been writing the past couple of pages, but here is a significant flaw that is similar to how the use of flawed prediction models have been used to justify harmful lockdown policies. You are extrapolating basic numbers into the entire population for some future time period without correction for how things really play out, which is unpredictable and not according to simple math.

An example of this kind of simple math mistake, where there are only a few well-defined and completely predictable variables, is extrapolating bee sting deaths from percentiles similar to how you did. I'm going to make up some bee sting numbers for this example.

5% of Americans are allergice to bee stings and can go into anaphylactic shock and die if stung.
Population of USA is 330 million.
Therefore, 15 million people die each year in the USA from bee stings.
This would only be roughly accurate if it were known that every single American would get stung by a bee in that year, but things don't happen that way.

It is unknown what percentage of the population has been exposed to or infected by corona, but the large scale samples so far are way past 1%. It is unknowable how much more of the population will be exposed to similarly virulent or potentially lethal strains in any defined future time window. We simply have to wait and see in order to gather more and more approximate numbers. But certainly, it is a serious problem that can not be dismissed. I just think the measures being used are wrong. Finally, the death totals are rough estimates. I posted the links some pages back of Dr. Birx explaining that the USA uses a much more liberal system of defining covid deaths than other countries, and that she guestimates a 25% error rate, however there is no statistical baseline upon which for her to make that estimate. It is a very rough number.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Bao, bailewen, I know it's shocking. I posted some of the tamer vids. This stuff was online daily as the lockdown rolled out in Wuhan, more vids every day. As far as what can be reported this way from inside China, this is as legit as it gets.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Crazy, maybe, but not stupid. Some states that opened up early or didn't close down sufficiently are now having the upsurge. Otoh, NYS --in spite of 20 days of demonstrations-- recorded 25 deaths on Monday. That's lower than when coronavirus deaths were first being counted in March. So, I think a similar chronological pattern will occur in other cities. I also think that the degree of uptick or surge will be affected by the particular community's level of denial or resentment about having their liberty restricted. There are places that "opened" unofficially because restrictions weren't followed or enforced.

Afa the argument about isolation leading to suicide. Well, I'd say that would be a very small percentage of the population. Human populations lived in caves for thousands of years. If being indoors for three months --while still able to go out with a mask or ride a bike-- drives people to suicide, how do you think people in prison feel, or in nursing homes, or submariners? Besides, young people are hooking up left and right on Tinder. One guy I know must've gone out with ten or more women this month. He had the virus, too.

Anyway, my point is that suicide cannot possibly be the first option. The suicides I've known have all had friends, but were isolated in their own minds. Oh, I've known people who've threatened to jump out a window and kill themselves. They only threatened, but I'm sure some have done it to get to or back at someone. Sorry, I think that domestic violence is a far more pressing problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if suicide rates for the first six months of this year were higher than average. I have to agree that lack of human contact has a psychological effect. People with weak psychologies can be considered another high risk group. However, the quickest way to return to some semblance of normalcy is to control the spread of the virus.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:37 pm

LaoDan wrote:

Personally, I think that LIFE is a prerequisite for “liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” and that therefore life should take precedence, during this health pandemic, over things like “freedom” (especially when freedoms endanger other peoples’ lives), making money, etc.

Good point, yeah. Agreed with the rest of your post, but this part stuck out in my mind.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:A new book that talks about this culture of denial (notice that the same people who don't want to wear masks also deny climate change?)

it sounds fascinating and horrifying
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:25 am

Michael wrote:Bao, bailewen, I know it's shocking. I posted some of the tamer vids. This stuff was online daily as the lockdown rolled out in Wuhan, more vids every day. As far as what can be reported this way from inside China, this is as legit as it gets.

...Oh my... :(
All of those and similar videos and photos have been published in the West through American controlled press and media. And you have no idea how the material was put together or when it was taken. Please, convince me who graduated from a film school about the legitimacy of those videos. ;)

But ok, there are much heavier videos, but they are too scary to show here... :-\ Sure... ::)

I am sad to say, but I have friends and relatives in Wuhan. They are all fine and have never heard about anything even close to those rumours going on here. I have never even heard that there should have been a prohibition to go outside. All stores and places were was closed, so what would you do outside? Some big complexes and areas were closed. This doesn't mean that they starved to death. If that was a fact, there would be a big revolution going on right now, everyone would know about it. But you only have a few "testimonies" published in US controlled media. The fact is that in the beginning, people didn't even care about wearing face mask outside even though you could risk being fined. What they did was that they repeatedly sent news and programs in the TV showing the chaos in the hospitals from the early period as well as discussions about the dangers of the Virus. They managed to scare people as hell so they kept indoors and always wore masks outside.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:33 am

This stuff was online daily as the lockdown rolled out in Wuhan...

oooh....it was online.

Excuse me for my ignorance, you know, living in China, with in-laws and co-workers in Wuhan and all.

I guess I should be forgiven for my ignorance of the actual on the ground situation as I didn't see the online video.

Sure sucks having nothing but first hand information and personal experience to go by. If only I had the wisdom to cross-check my lived experience with YouTube clips so I could tell if I was actually seeing and what my co-worker and family were experiencing were true.
Last edited by bailewen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:48 am

coworker from wuhan reported similar from her relatives
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 am

And the sustained counternarrative crumbles.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That