What is Taichi Jin Power Really Like? Sifu Adam Mizner

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

What is Taichi Jin Power Really Like? Sifu Adam Mizner

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:07 am

Discover Taiji
Apr 17, 2021

What is Taichi power (Jin / Energy / 勁) really like? Is it the same as power generated by other sports, martial arts and other physical methods? Is Taichi internal energy really different? How does Taichi neutralizing (Hua / 化) and seizing (Na / 拿) happen? Sifu Adam Mizner SHOWS CLEARLY how true Taichi Jin is applied! DEMONSTRATES how "four ounces defeats a thousand pounds" just like the Taichi Classics say. Are you developing Taichi power like this? How is Taichi Jin developed in your practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6KSsrFyoA
marvin8
Wuji

Re: What is Taichi Jin Power Really Like? Sifu Adam Mizner

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am

marvin8 wrote:Discover Taiji
Apr 17, 2021

What is Taichi power (Jin / Energy / 勁) really like? Is it the same as power generated by other sports, martial arts and other physical methods? Is Taichi internal energy really different? How does Taichi neutralizing (Hua / 化) and seizing (Na / 拿) happen? Sifu Adam Mizner SHOWS CLEARLY how true Taichi Jin is applied! DEMONSTRATES how "four ounces defeats a thousand pounds" just like the Taichi Classics say. Are you developing Taichi power like this? How is Taichi Jin developed in your practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6KSsrFyoA

What do you feel is being shown ?
Do you agree with the explanation given ?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Sean on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:04 am

True charlatanism.
Sean
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 am

Entertaining as always. @@@
;D

Edit: He says that he uses 4 ounces which is just weird. The quote is to use '4 ounces to move 1000 pounds' which is just a metaphor about using a little pressure to redirect or to set a big mass in motion. Literary using 4 ounces in Tai Chi is way too much. Less than one ounce should be more than enough. So I guess that he needs to use as much as four ounces proves that his Tai Chi is not very advanced after all. ;)
Last edited by Bao on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 am

Bao wrote:Entertaining as always. @@@
;D

Edit: He says that he uses 4 ounces which is just weird. The quote is to use '4 ounces to move 1000 pounds' which is just a metaphor about using a little pressure to redirect or to set a big mass in motion. Literary using 4 ounces in Tai Chi is way too much. Less than one pound should be more than enough. So I guess that he needs to use as much as four pounds proves that his Tai Chi is not very advanced after all. ;)

You do understand 1 pound equals 16 ounces right ?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 am

windwalker wrote:You do understand 1 pound equals 16 ounces right ?

Meant ounce of course. Thank you for addressing my mistake.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:51 am

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:You do understand 1 pound equals 16 ounces right ?

Meant ounce of course. Thank you for addressing my mistake.

Hmm, how do we know he wasn't using one pound or four? I'm not sure the actual measurement matters. Using five ounces is just as good as using four.

Anyway, I was taught that you shouldn't let the opponent exert a thousand pounds on you (or even a lot less).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 pm

It is ok to use 5 until you meet someone who uses 4
Then your 5 becomes 1000

I didn’t watch it all because just how he sets the guy up at the start says it all
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Using five ounces is just as good as using four.

Except that they don’t mention 5 and they don’t mention 3.
The real question has already been answered by understanding of the idea not colliding, and not running away.
As always whatever ones teacher suggest it’s probably the correct way for one to follow , depending on the depth or need of one’s own understanding.

There are a lot of historical accounts addressing the why,what, not so much the how.

Regarding the clip, The skills demoed are real work as advertised within a certain context.
All expressions of “Jin”

His marketing seems based on, presenting something that some may not understand, something they cannot do,
but would like to do, to feeling it’s useful.

A number of different ways of explaining the how and what, just depends on one’s level of understanding and ability as to whether his explanations will lead one to find what they’re looking for.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:26 pm

The numbers don't matter. It can't be a ratio. If the opponent uses 500lbs, then 2 ozs should be enough. It he uses 2000lbs, then would 8 ozs be needed.

The alternatiive is that it doesn't matter how much force the opponent uses. It (one's technique or 'energy) will work even if the opponent is a sumo wrestler. Personally, I think technique will be more important. Jmo.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:47 pm

The numbers don't matter. It can't be a ratio. If the opponent uses 500lbs, then 2 ozs should be enough. It he uses 2000lbs, then would 8 ozs be needed.

Well I suppose everybody has their own understanding, I would consider this understanding confused.

If those commenting could do everything shown it should should be pretty simple as to what is meant, and why
4 oz “ or so equivalent in Chinese“ was mentioned.

Otherwise it starts to devolve into questions about numbers and ratios.

Adam, does confuse some of his metaphors in his explanations.
I guess taking a swipe at the CMC , line. He would be better served going and meeting some of the teachers from that line to clarify his understanding.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm

Not many left to go and visit
Please name some who have the goods
Big names don't always have what it takes
If he hasn't gone looking yet I don't think it will ever happen
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Well, like I said, it was just my opinion. It's true that I don't "understand" what's shown in terms of numbers. In the first place, the original saying is about taels and catties, not ounces and pounds. And, in that case, I admit that I have no clue what they meant in terms of any real numbers.

Anyway, I seem to remember some discussions way back in the 90s when it was explained that taiji used 4 ozs of "jin." I have no quarrel with anyone's understanding or explanation. That doesn't mean that it makes sense to me, and I certainly couldn't explain it to someone else.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm

what happened to bodywork/dan?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:18 pm

Bao wrote:Entertaining as always. @@@
;D

Edit: He says that he uses 4 ounces which is just weird. The quote is to use '4 ounces to move 1000 pounds' which is just a metaphor about using a little pressure to redirect or to set a big mass in motion. Literary using 4 ounces in Tai Chi is way too much. Less than one ounce should be more than enough. So I guess that he needs to use as much as four ounces proves that his Tai Chi is not very advanced after all. ;)

Maybe he ment to say drams ? 8-)
Trick

Next

Return to Been There Done That