Taiji History - Chen v Yang? (Zhaobao?)

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Taiji History - Chen v Yang? (Zhaobao?)

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Hey, if the cap fits, wear it, but if it doesn't then there's no reason to keep coming back. ;)
I could be wrong.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 am

Getting back to the OP topic, it really doesn't matter much at this point in history who created TCC or where it was created. It is more relevant, imo, to research and explore what the earliest generations of every style practiced to cultivate their intrinsic energy and to acquire their famed fighting skills.

These achievements were apparently not acquired by practicing the current standard training material seen in the major TCC styles today. This is witnessed by the fact that most successive practitioners haven't replicated the Founder's achievements past the first few generations in every style, regardless of how seriously they have practiced or for how many years they have done so.

The most logical conclusion regarding that fact is that the creators and earliest proponents of the various schools practiced different training material and practiced in a different manner than most modern day practitioners do. This is probably due to the various modifications and editing changes made by their successors since the original versions of each style were formulated. In any case, something is clearly missing now which used to be a part of the training regimen in the early days.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 04, 2021 11:12 am

Getting back to the OP topic, it really doesn't matter much at this point in history who created TCC or where it was created.

Agreed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Sure. You'll note however - I did post in the OP that I'm not a Taiji person; I've never studied TJQ a day in my life and this topic has absolutely no bearing on my training. I do however have a casual interest in history in general, and MA histories in particular. Again as I posted, I'm just curious that initially my impression was that the 'Chen as original' orthodox line was widely accepted, but that theory seems to have become a more complex issue over time. I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts, and my thanks to those who gave them. You are of course free to, you know.. not, after all, Doc.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue May 04, 2021 5:13 pm

No one writes history as it happens; it's always reconstructed later. I've done Yang (CF) style, and of course heard the CSF origin story. It's a folktale, but I don't know if anyone at the time Chen style started thought about recording it as a separate martial art. If he/they did, then Chen style derives from some earlier practice. I don't believe that anyone woke up one day and created a style from nothing. I don't think that's possible. There had to be people using martial arts --that the Chens had to know because they had to deal with them.

That's not to suggest that Zhaobao was the precedent, only that ZB also had to have been preceded by some other martial arts. Neither village invented martial arts.

I think the point at which the sequence of positions was settled might be different from the point at which it was called taijiquan.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed May 05, 2021 5:46 am

Finny wrote:I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts, and my thanks to those who gave them. You are of course free to, you know.. not, after all, Doc.

Thanks, bro! That's mighty white of you. ;D
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Been There Done That