Let's start a new shaolin temple!

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Let's start a new shaolin temple!

Postby Appledog on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:43 pm

Guys I have a great idea. Let's start a new Shaolin temple. We'll get together, buy some land... raise our food just like the hans... did. Back in the day. I mean someone had to get together and build a temple, it was bound to happen. We can do it too! Pool our cash, get a place, and start training together every day. It will be the dawn of a new era (Actually, it really would). The problem is you need to become a monk. I.E. you need to commit, because to start an endeavor like this would be hard. We would need to establish a corporation with a board and decide on where we're going to buy land/where to get a building and we may need to relocate. I have a plan on how this would work but it will be expensive. We need less than you think -- probably half a mil US is enough. If we had three or four guys together, well, I already have my share ready to go. All we need is people dedicated and crazy enough to make this work.

Let's make a "Western Shaolin Temple" where we train and develop the skills of Tai Chi? Or we could make it a Taoist temple if you wanna be taoists instead of buddhists (no idea why) -- but anyways, it's something to think about.

I mean, this could really work.

Think about it. How would you feel if in 10 or 20 years such a temple WAS in fact established and you COULD have been a part of it?

Think of all the secrets we could hoard from the populace! Think of all the pirates we could beat up with sticks!
Last edited by Appledog on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Re: Let's start a new shaolin temple!

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:14 pm

They tried that already

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:57 pm

origami_itto wrote:They tried that already

Yes, this too.

YMAA Publication Center
Jun 10, 2021

This is a love letter to the YMAA Retreat Center...The 10-year intensive training program at the #ymaaretreatcenter was a great success and students from around the world graduated and returned home to teach traditional Kung Fu, Qigong and Tai Chi. This beautiful #offthegrid training center is in a #selfsustaining paradise with redwood forest, fresh air, mountain water, and #organicgarden within a couple hours of a few cities and 1-hour to an airport. #dryangjwingming owns the center and rented it to the 10-year project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGTKo56nn9I
marvin8
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:12 pm

The YMAA retreat center was sold in February of 2022. Most of the old school guys are dying or retiring. I'd love to setup an intentional community to create a new martial art that takes Buddhist mind training Chinese internals, Daoist body methods, ground fighting, blades, and firearms together. Having people like Alex Dong, Alex Kozma, Dug Corpolongo, Graham Barlow, Paul Andrews, Ray Carbullido, Ray Hayward, and more for seminars while having a year round location of movement practitioners, visual artists, musicians, and martial artists to congregate. It's something I'm working toward.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:51 am

Pre-covid it cost about $28,000 a year for a single family to homestead on land they purchased outright, living off the grid, and bartering with other locals for goods and services, whenever possible. The Shaolin Temple (and other temples in China) were by no means self-supporting. Much like churches in the US, they survived off of donations from their communities who supported their religion.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:14 am

One name above might have something to teach with the rest you would be better off going into a nunnery
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:14 pm

wayne hansen wrote:One name above might have something to teach with the rest you would be better off going into a nunnery

Yes Wayne, you sit on the pinnacle of skill and piss down on the rest of us mere mortals. Sure wish you'd start some courses or something and contribute to the wider community. Too bad, all we get is your bitterness.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:22 pm

Don’t mistake plain speakin for bitterness
Promote all those you want but don’t get upset when someone calls you on it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Tue May 02, 2023 11:37 am

wayne hansen wrote:Don’t mistake plain speakin for bitterness
Promote all those you want but don’t get upset when someone calls you on it

Promote what? Kind people with legitimate training that preserve Chinese martial arts? I've found it quite enjoyable to meet people who do things differently than I do and compare/contrast methods and practices to enrich my own understanding. Some of these people may not have had to use these skills in life and death encounters or against criminals like I have, that's OK. Some of these gentlemen have shown me things that I found beneficial so I am grateful. Some of them have achieved things I'm looking for, others preserve things I have interest in, and all of those individuals have been generous, kind, and polite. Those are qualities I hope to learn and integrate into my martial arts so that when I am older and more arthritic I am not so bitter and have a group of students who love me enough to represent me and my teachings for the future.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Promote promoting
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:19 pm

wayne hansen wrote:One name above might have something to teach with the rest you would be better off going into a nunnery

When my retreat center is ready your name will be among the first we court for a seminar.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:54 am

1 there’s only one Shaolin temple, the rest are fake and not acknowledged by the real Shaolin Si.

2 all what is taught in and around the modern Shaolin temple is modern wushu.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:03 am

Very true - was there in 1998 - "Shaolin performance completely contemporary wushu done to the beat of American rock music - thrilled the non-martal arts crowd - I sneaked away and spent an hour on the outside - came a large field where there were 200 - 300 kids ranging from 8 or 9 to 16 - all uniformly training contemporary wushu form - skilled gymnastics no doubt - hint of traditional martial in practice? Nope - not my cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:37 am

I'll do it, but only if you call me Sifu and provide me with free (unlimited) tea and biscuits.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:35 am

Bao wrote:1 there’s only one Shaolin temple, the rest are fake and not acknowledged by the real Shaolin Si.

2 all what is taught in and around the modern Shaolin temple is modern wushu.

Okay fine. Let's start a new Jingwu! Or, let's start a new Nanjing Central Martial Arts Institute! Let's do something real.

If you got the guts :)
Appledog
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That