HorseShit

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: HorseShit

Postby roger hao on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 pm

I think the guy in the red shorts is Sponge Bob Square pants.
roger hao

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 pm

chicagoTaiJi wrote:sometimes students of a great teacher act like stupid fools for no reason.

it is easy to regain one's balance.

no magic force will stop your legs from properly regaining balance.

only your imagination of your teacher's magical powers will do that.

+1 for correctness and truth spanking.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
chicagoTaiJi wrote:sometimes students of a great teacher act like stupid fools for no reason.

+1 for correctness and truth spanking.

Run downhill backwards, I imagine it would look a lot like some of these vids.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby bruce on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm

why do the teachers allow that. if a student of mine did that i would admonish them.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 pm

bruce wrote:

why do the teachers allow that. if a student of mine did that i would admonish them.

My teacher did that the other day. He was a demonstrating a throw and the fellow student was just kind of falling at the slightest pressure. My teacher told him to resist more. When he demonstrated the throw on me I made him work for every bit of it and didn't go down until I didn't have a choice. Since he was demoing slow this had two big benefits IMO. 1st everyone really got to see how our bodies interacted, where he was applying pressure and how he was moving and how he was making me move. 2nd I got a really good feeling for how he made me move, which makes it easier to do to someone else correctly and know when someone else is doing it to me correctly.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm

What a bunch of FAT goobers!

God...I'm speechless....
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Ba-men wrote:What a bunch of FAT goobers!

God...I'm speechless....

+2 for pointing out the obvious
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Ba-men wrote:What a bunch of FAT goobers!

God...I'm speechless....

+2 for pointing out the obvious

Yea...! I got more points than anybody else. Nah nah nah .....Top that people! -rock- lol...
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm

SNIP

SNIP

Actually, I have had a couple of experiences of being blasted backwards and being unable to regain my balance: Dan Docherty did it to me years ago, and Chen Ziqiang did it to me last summer.

On both occasions, my hips were behind my legs and I was bent forward at the waist while moving backwards, so my feet were just trying to catch up. When you are in this situation, you either fall down after a certain number of backward steps, or hit into something that brings you to a halt.

It is not "easy to regain your balance" and it has noting to do with belief in "teachers magical powers."

BTW, thanks for the link, Jake. Very droll. I love the stoic-looking chubber with the pony. Man up!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby ilove_thistuff on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Andy_S wrote:SNIP

SNIP

Actually, I have had a couple of experiences of being blasted backwards and being unable to regain my balance: Dan Docherty did it to me years ago, and Chen Ziqiang did it to me last summer.

On both occasions, my hips were behind my legs and I was bent forward at the waist while moving backwards, so my feet were just trying to catch up. When you are in this situation, you either fall down after a certain number of backward steps, or hit into something that brings you to a halt.

It is not "easy to regain your balance" and it has noting to do with belief in "teachers magical powers."

BTW, thanks for the link, Jake. Very droll. I love the stoic-looking chubber with the pony. Man up!

Yeah I have felt the feeling as well where your legs feel like your catching up..but none of that hopping stuff just the feeling like your trying to regain your balance and your feet were taking out from under you...it felt as you described like my hips were behind the legs. It wasnt funny cause I was just checking out a school to see if the teacher was any good and he asked me if i he could show me...this is when i was just first getting into IMA. So when he got in on me the next thing I knew i was flying towards a wall that must have been about 12 to 15 feet away. When I got up i had this feeling in my chest down to my gut like everything got shook up. I played it off like I was ok and nothing happened but inside I was like "shit that hurt". So I know there are alot of students who are over reacting out there and it just looks ridiculous but there are a few teachers who can really demonstrate on resisting people like myself...and trust me this is coming from a guy who doesnt thing that the bellies on the guys in the first video are made from qi lol.
ilove_thistuff
Anjing

Postby Michael Babin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:59 am

I have both experienced and teach a variation of this exercise. The "hopping backwards" syndrome happens whenever you push somewhat stiffly at a slight downwards angle into a vertical mass that is spongy firm as well as stable vertically,

The person doing the pushing under those conditions will end up pushing himself up and back as long as he remains too structured and pushed downwards. The person being pushed should be able to "ground" any displaced push into the floor without wobbling or moving their feet in turn. In other words, the skill development lies in the person standing relatively skill and not in the recipient bouncing or hopping backwards who is [or should be, in my opinion] the "dummy" for the exercise.

However, to think, as the two gentlemen in the first clip seem to, that this is a sign of greatness in the one standing relatively still, is [to my mind] confusing a symptom of a certain basic postural skill with overall martial skill.

There's also a certain amount of autosuggestion in play in terms of how the young, pony-tailed fellow goes flying more dramatically when pushing on the older fellow.

Oh, and while I am not slim enough to comment on weight; I will say that mass matters for exercises of this nature and that the heavier the stable mass, the more likely that a smaller/stiffer partner will end up pushing themselves backwards dramatically.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby shmirsh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 am

so far the best example of this I've found is this one, where the master was so good he didn't even show up to the demonstration

shmirsh
Mingjing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:12 pm

ha!
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, kids do that when you push them back. They do those silly movements thinking it will keep them from falling.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 pm

ilove_thistuff wrote:
Andy_S wrote:SNIP

SNIP

Yeah I have felt the feeling as well where your legs feel like your catching up..but none of that hopping stuff just the feeling like your trying to regain your balance and your feet were taking out from under you...it felt as you described like my hips were behind the legs. It wasnt funny cause I was just checking out a school to see if the teacher was any good and he asked me if i he could show me...this is when i was just first getting into IMA. So when he got in on me the next thing I knew i was flying towards a wall that must have been about 12 to 15 feet away. When I got up i had this feeling in my chest down to my gut like everything got shook up. I played it off like I was ok and nothing happened but inside I was like "shit that hurt". So I know there are alot of students who are over reacting out there and it just looks ridiculous but there are a few teachers who can really demonstrate on resisting people like myself...and trust me this is coming from a guy who doesnt thing that the bellies on the guys in the first video are made from qi lol.

was this your lack of skill or the teachers wealth of skill?
bruce
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That