HorseShit

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: HorseShit

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:11 am

i know i'm ignoring some things about the original post. and perhaps some of the responses. i'm not trying to argue about any of these observations. or the clips.

i'm not trying to argue any of this.

but. over and over i hear the arguments against "hopping". it's fake, etc.

the worst thing, imo, is to be based out when hit. it hurts! the other guy makes a track from the point of impact to your base. that can be crushing.

i hear again and again, an argument against hopping, when attacked.

myself, i don't see anything wrong with shifting ground, and preserving ones base.

"hop like sparrow" is imo, a good thing to try. it prevents you being put on your ass. it's shifting your base. using the energy of the other person.

this assumes, of course, that you are being hit by something real.

i'm not trying to comment on the clips at all. i wouldn't presume.

i think there are two very real considerations: what are you being dealt with, for real, and what are you doing to avoid it.

this, imo, is not one of my best posts.

best...
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:50 am

internalenthusiast wrote:but. over and over i hear the arguments against "hopping". it's fake, etc.

the worst thing, imo, is to be based out when hit. it hurts! the other guy makes a track from the point of impact to your base. that can be crushing.

Hopping is not fake. Its not something you practice, its something you force people to do. They have no choice. It is mostly a stupid thing to do, but a stupid thing that works.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:38 am

From me simply touching one of those fatties in the first two clips...

I gar-ran-tee that no there is no way in hell it's going to have the effect on me as it did those two cheese bellies in the clips.
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby Interloper on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Now Jake,
Belly fat is the perfect medium for transmitting power from the dan tien.
Go watch films of Wang Shu-Jin and tell me that fat men can't have internal power! :)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Interloper wrote:Now Jake,
Belly fat is the perfect medium for transmitting power from the dan tien.
Go watch films of Wang Shu-Jin and tell me that fat men can't have internal power! :)

Besides, the ladies love it ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

The late Master T.T. Liang once commented that all of those huge bellies were the product of "big cheese, not big chi." ;D

Doc ;)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 am

One of the best things people could learn is not to judge people based on their appearance or perceived moral failings based on size.
:)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:One of the best things people could learn is not to judge people based on their appearance or perceived moral failings based on size.
:)

Nonsense! ;)

What you see is what they got...and what you get. LOL ;D

Homer Simpson
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:57 am

Its easy to judge others for what you perceive their flaws so be, but in the end we are all human and should try to afford others the common dignity that we ourselves expect to be shown.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 am

Didn't that line come from a Simpson's episode where Homer ate enough to qualify for an obesity disability so he could work from home? LOL
Michael

Postby Bär on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Its easy to judge others for what you perceive their flaws so be, but in the end we are all human and should try to afford others the common dignity that we ourselves expect to be shown.

Fat bigotry is the very last thing people will give up on. People have to feel morally superior in some way - be it religion or other bigoted means of separating the chosen ones from the evil doers.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Bär wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:Its easy to judge others for what you perceive their flaws so be, but in the end we are all human and should try to afford others the common dignity that we ourselves expect to be shown.

Fat bigotry is the very last thing people will give up on. People have to feel morally superior in some way - be it religion or other bigoted means of separating the chosen ones from the evil doers.

Preach on my bellied brother!!!!!!! :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 am

a bmi over 30 = obesity.

obesity is not good or not about being judged, it's about health.

If you are obese you have a better chance than anyone else at diabetes, heart disease, joint ailment, breathing problems and as you age with it, continued health problems that will reduce your quality of life considerably.

Better to bite the bullet and try to cut that extra weight. You will feel a world of difference and considerably healthier which in turn will improve your outlook on life in general.

just sayin... :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 am

Darth its not about whether or not someone loses weight, its about people thinking they can lord it over others because of perceived superiority based on something that is not a moral issue.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:35 am

To further add to that, if someone wants to shed some pounds it should be their own decision and not something that other people hold over them as some sort of important moral improvement (or something that if they don't do it people will use it as some sort of reason to crack jokes about them or generally take away their dignity).
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That