HorseShit

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: HorseShit

Postby Bär on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Strangers don't give one shit about each other's health or quality of life. That's just the excuse the naturally skinny use to justify their bigotry towards and superiority over the fat. You don't care and don't even pretend that lording over me and feigning concern about my health will magically motivate me to become skinny and acceptable to current fashion.

People make all kinds of assumptions if they see someone who's chunky and some of it may be true, but for the most part it's exactly the same type of bigotry as any other. I'm not saying that there aren't a whole lot of way-way-too-big people eating too much horrible food and not exercising, but that isn't the point. But please, keep that image of all fat people being losers who sit at home gorging constantly - whatever works for you.

I had a skinny little roommate - maybe 5' 6" and 120# - and you could feed us the same diet and he would LOSE weight and I would gain. He exercised no more than I did, in fact probably less. That guy could eat a whole chicken a few loaves of bread then eat a half gallon of ice cream a few hours later and he couldn't keep on weight. He wasn't sick with hyperthyroidism nor did he have a tape worm. He ate poorly, gluttonously and way over his needs and never had an ounce extra to show for it. I'm sure no Christian would fault him for his "deadly sin" simply because he didn't commit the sin of being unfashionably overweight.

So weight's my struggle with the world - what makes that any different than any one else's struggles?

People are simply different and many people see that as a reason to hate.

And x2 to Mix!
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:38 pm

I guess that it could also be a perception issue.

I mean if someone is being perceived as negative, are they really that or are you perceiving them as being so?

People taking it to the negative is no reason to not try to make your physicality better for you.
If you adopt a view that people are lording it over you, you could wind up being defeatist about your health and allowing it to deteriorate further by not changing your diet or your exercise patterns.

generally speaking, if your exercise patterns aren't making any change, then the culprit is diet. If that is adjusted and there is no change, then there is a chance there is a genetics issue.

If we understand that better than 90% of what is on the shelf in your average grocery store is total shit and no good for you, we become a little more careful about what we put in.

Just ignore the negative folks, but keep an open mind to bringing yourself a better quality of life. If you change your body, you can change your mind and vice versa. It doesn't have to be a struggle, it can just be a stone that you chip away at until it is no longer an obstacle at all. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Think about becoming ripped and athletic: girls will drop at your feat and offer themselves to you at every street corner. In fact, you will keep your good shape just by fighting them off, at that point. ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Its too bad Teo said "fighting them off" instead of "beating them off". Then I could have made a joke about how he gets his great arm strength from.... Oh well. ;D

;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Tom wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:Think about becoming ripped and athletic: girls will drop at your feat and offer themselves to you at every street corner. In fact, you will keep your good shape just by fighting them off, at that point. ;D

Does your significant other know about these problems you have, Teo? 8-)

She trusts me. The fact that I look so good in an armless orange shirt and blue shorts speaks volumes for my fidelity and fighting skills. :P
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Think about becoming ripped and athletic: girls will drop at your feat and offer themselves to you at every street corner. In fact, you will keep your good shape just by fighting them off, at that point. ;D

Funny thing is is that when I was at my lightest & fittest (but still not acceptably ripped) in my adult life I got nothing but the "let's just be friends" speech from women I was interested in or took on dates. Now that I'm 38, married and at my very heaviest, I receive more interest than ever from women - and not the just heavy or desperate/lonely ones or the chubby chasers either.

And don't forget - I'm the only guy on this board to receive a virtual wolf-whistle from a female board member! ;D :o ;D
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Actually, I think that attitude and being more at ease with yourself and others around you count more toward attracting the opposite (or the same, in certain cases) sex than looks. Looks are the icing on the cake but they are also part of the first impression, which apparently is the one that shapes the most the perception others have of you.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Well, nobody is really fat, per se, it's just that some people are short for their weight! LOL ;D

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Actually, I think that attitude and being more at ease with yourself and others around you count more toward attracting the opposite (or the same, in certain cases) sex than looks. Looks are the icing on the cake but they are also part of the first impression, which apparently is the one that shapes the most the perception others have of you.

Darthwing seizes Teh Correct by the throat and throttles it into submission. It evens both for men and women. I've seen many happily dating or married men AND women who are not in the 8-10 score zone in terms of superficial good looks but who have a lot of self-confidence, poise and warmth. Looks may be what gets someone noticed in a crowd, but those not blessed with them just have to let their other attributes shine more brightly.

Bar, you're probably a lot more at ease with yourself now, as a result of both being older and more mature, and not being "on the market" anymore --- with all of the stress and insecurity that comes from that.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 am

Agree with Tom's post 100%. Interesting that Madison Ave. has been successful selling us both the slow-acting poison they now call food and the fashion images that it's necessary to have 5% body fat to be "sexy". Both are dead-ends.
Michael

Postby Bär on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 am

Interloper wrote:
Bar, you're probably a lot more at ease with yourself now, as a result of both being older and more mature, and not being "on the market" anymore --- with all of the stress and insecurity that comes from that.

Well, that and the fact that I make this look good!
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:55 am

men can be in danger before external appearances start to show.
Most men accumulate fat around their internal organs before it starts to manifest over top of skeletal muscle.

I think it is not difficult to understand that while you don't need to be skinny, you certainly don't need to be grossly overweight and having to deal with all the health problems that come with it. It's not an ad companies fault, it's not mcdonalds fault. IN fact, it's not about fault, it's about being sensible in your eating choices and exercise regimens.

if you can't be active and have a lowered quality of life from weight, then i think it's only sensible that one would alter their behaviours to correct it.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm not defending being fat - everyone knows it isn't the healthiest thing for you, even if I feel the dangers of it are often overstated by a media system that thrives on fear and neurosis.

I'm calling out the jr. high school/middle school level name calling on this thread.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Bär wrote:
I'm calling out the jr. high school/middle school level name calling on this thread.

Which is also exactly what I was also trying to say in my original post.
Just because someone has a health issue like obesity, addiction, or some other supposedly self inflicted thing does not give others carte blanche to insult them. :-\
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Bar and Mix... Please... Get over it.

I never said shit or called either of you guys anything. I'm not here to start shit with anyone.

In fact... You two are the only ones making an issue out of it. If you're offended, well I'm sorry, don't read it then.

And before you even go there, I know that being shall we say "weight challenged" has no bearing on whether a guy can fight or not, be good at kung fu or not, or be a great person or not. If you're comfy in your own skin well then good for you. Although I have to say... I don't think that anyone who's obese really and truely is. I don't know though and to be honest I don't care.

Again, sorry if it pissed either of you off. Now would be a good time to go and train.... If you know what I mean. ;D
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Previous

Return to Been There Done That